Dish Network Refuses To Leave You Alone After Cancellation

Recently I canceled my service with Dish Network. It was nothing personal, I had just moved in with a friend that already has TV service and doesn’t want to change providers (they talked their way into some kind of deal with Comcast; it’s pretty cheap, but knowing Comcast it probably involves the naming rights to their first born). In any case, he owns the house so he decides who provides us TV service.

Now Dish Network calls me LITERALLY every day trying to get me to sign up again. I explain my situation every time and they treat me with disgust, as if I am making up some elaborate story because I don’t have the guts to tell them I hate their service.

The irony is, I loved Dish Network service. Everything about the customer experience has been positive except this part. I probably would sign up again next time I’m renting my own place, but not if these calls keep coming in. I have told them two or three times to stop calling me but I keep getting the calls. I usually ignore them now since I can see the number on my cell phone when they call and I know the number they call from by heart now, but it’s still annoying.

Thanks for a great website,

Will

Will, if you’ve already registered your cellphone with the Do Not Call Registry, you can report Dish Network for violating the FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rules. According to the DoNotCall.gov, Dish Network has the right to call you for 18 months after you’ve made your last purchase, delivery, or payment – even if the your number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. However, if you tell them to stop calling and they don’t—it’s a violation.

If a consumer asks a company not to call, the company may not call, even if there is an established business relationship. Indeed, a company may not call a consumer – regardless of whether the consumer’s number is on the registry – if the consumer has asked to be put on the company’s own do not call list.

The next time Dish Network call you, tell them to put your number on their Do Not Call list, and tell them you’re reporting them. If you’ve already asked to be on their Do Not Call list, or you’re already registered on the federal list, feel free to file a complaint right now.

(Photo:diaper)

Comments

1. UpsetPanda says:

Thanks for putting a link to a page where I can file a complaint…I’ve been getting pesky calls from Wedding-related companies for the last two months…I’m starting to get angry at them.

2. Parting says:

Anybody knows how to unsubscribe from Avon e-mail list? They keep spamming me, they don’t reply to my e-mails and automatic unsubsribe link does not seem to work. Any suggestions?

3. UpsetPanda says:

I don’t have personal experience with Avon but with other lists, if they don’t take you off (most of them have automated messages saying they did) call the 1-800 number and as soon as you get a live person, don’t make s mall talk, don’t o anything else but say ‘take me off all of your contact lists’ and specifically mention that you don’t want mailings.

4. Eilonwynn says:

I usually just explain that I do not reply to phone solicitations, at all, ever. I politely ask that they contact me via postal mail, and I will review their offering at that time, and until then, to not contact me.

This has worked amazingly well with all but my bank, and a quick call to my financial advisor at that bank put a stop to it immediately.

5. TedSez says:

I’m guessing this is a phone bank of poorly supervised solicitors who get a commission whenever they can convince someone to resubscribe to the service. They keep calling a number that’s proved useless because they’re not good enough to get the hot leads — because coffee is for closers!

6. mcquetm says:

A company identifying themselves as “Dish Network” called me every day for several months, sometimes two or three times a day. Mostly they would hang up when I answered. When I had enough I called Dish network customer service, and they told me that they didn’t so outbound telemarketing themselves, but they had some distributors that did. In my case, I was getting calls from a number in Canada. The FCC telemarketing rules apply to calls made from another country, but apparently they are hard to enforce, so my status on the DNC list didn’t matter. Ultimately I put in an email to my state representative, called the state public service comission and made several calls to Disnh Network’s customer service department. I tried to call Canada’s version of the FCC, but their toll-free number only works from inside Canada. The calls eventually stopped.

7. balthisar says:

Aside from the do not call list, isn’t unsolicited commercial phone calls to cell phones (per the post) illegal from the git-go?

8. 92BuickLeSabre says:

Dish Network is a little insane. I’ve moved twice since I last lived in a place where I could even have a dish.

They don’t know my new number (thankfully), but they have managed to keep track of my physical comings and goings.

I still get mailings from them every few weeks.

9. Tired_ says:

Calling every single day, even after you told them to stop, repeatedly? That sounds more like criminal harassment. Get your lawyer to call and threaten them.

10. ogman says:

I don’t know, sounds a little like a Comcast plant.

11. mattbrown says:

sounds like stalking. comcast is stalking you.

12. trollkiller says:

Here is the easy way to stop it and have fun doing it.

Comcast: “We would like to offer you a special rate to come back”

You: “Does it come in blue?”

Comcast: “What?”

You: “Does it come in blue? I like blue”

Comcast: “No, this is a cable service”

You: “Well does it come in green?

Another one you can try, but it may get you in trouble.

When you answer the phone tell them you have a phone fetish and get turned on everytime the phone rings, then ask them what they are wearing.

13. jamesdenver says:

A lesson to never give a company your phone number. EVEN if you happen to be a customer.

Comcast doesn’t have my #. For most companies I have a variation on the number so I can easily remember it, but it’s not my true number.

I can’t ever see a situation where Comcast (or any company) urgently needs to call me. The only calls are sales calls or payment calls should I not pay the bill.

14. faust1200 says:

If you’re not one to chase down every obnoxious phone call, I’d recommend call block service. I’ve used it for years. They have a function that blocks the last caller which comes in very handy. Naturally you may manually enter numbers as well.

15. goller321 says:

This is the very reason I refuse to give out a real phone number to any company. None of my credit cards have my number, nor any other utility. If I’m asked, I usually refuse or give then a pseudo fake number comprised of a couple of old phone numbers that aren’t serviceable numbers.

A couple days ago I was at a department store with a friend and when she checked out, she had an issue with her store card. She called while we were there and I listened to her not only correct the number they had on file, but then proceed to give her cell phone number and her husband’s cell number to the CSR. It’s her business, but when she starts complaining about telemarketers, she has no one to blame but herself.

16. humphrmi says:

@jamesdenver: I do that too, give them fake phone numbers.

Even today, I was at an AT&T store, and the sales clerk asked for my phone number before he started ringing me up. Here’s how it went:

Me: Why do you need my phone number?
    Clerk: So that your name is on the receipt.
    Me: But I’m paying by credit card, so my name is already on the receipt.
    Clerk: Then won’t we have some of your personal information from the credit card?
    Me: Are you saying that you intend use my credit card to harvest personal information?

At this point the clerk mumbled “No, no” and just went on ringing up the bill. I had a good laugh.

17. mantari says:

If you made the mistake of giving them your real phone number, follow Mantari’s script for being removed from commercial call lists. Assume, in this example, your name is John Phillips:

MARKETER: “Hello, I would like to speak with John Phillips?”
    YOU: [akward pause] [weak voice] “He, he died two days ago.” [usually an akward pause]
    MARKETER: “Oh, I am sorry for your loss. We’ll remove him from our call list.”
    YOU: [weak voice] “Okay.”

Just tell these people you are dead, and they stop calling. It is remarkably easy, and fun!

18. Martha_Jones says:

One year my mom and her friends had a game – see who could get the telemarketer off the phone the fastest. One woman went off about how her husband was divorcing her and it was their anniversary, another went on about her dead husband. My personal favorite was the woman who just kept asking questions in a really excited tone about what she’d won. “Ooooh I won??!!!! What did I win??? But I don’t understand, what did I win??? So I get it for free because I won?”

19. mantari says:

Also on a related note… Cox and DirecTV, once they have your address, will endlessly send advertisements to that address for all of eternity. My house was, by the previous owner, split into three living areas, which were all rented out to different people.

So here I get advertisements sent by Cox (and only by Cox) to 1234A, then 1234B, and 1234 1/2. You tell them such an address doesn’t even exist, and they don’t care. “A third party does all the mailings.”

It’d take an executive carpet bomb to ever make them stop sending all of their promotions to these other addresses that they’ve put in their database (which don’t have cable service, because they are a different address than the real house).

20. Martha_Jones says:

@goller321: I would not recommend providing a fake phone number, if the phone number is used to gather information for a mailing list some other poor schmuck will then be receiving mailers in your name (from your credit card) but their address – then they freak thinking it is identity theft.

21. WhoMee says:

FYI, If you dial a companies Toll Free Number to reach them, they automatically have your number. The system is set up so that since they are paying for the call they have the right to see your number. This is true even if they are asking you for your number.

22. trollkiller says:

@mantari: We held my dad’s funeral service at his house. While we were all sitting around grieving the phone rings. It was some poor salesman calling about a water purifier. I informed him that my dad was dead and would not be needing his services. I told him we were having the wake at that very moment. I could tell by the way his breathing changed he was regretting his career choice.

To his credit he said he was sorry for our loss and agreed to remove the number from the call list.

My Aunt got a sales call for my Uncle, she told the sales man the my Uncle was deceased. He asked when will he be back. She told him again my uncle was deceased. He then asked if he could leave a message. My aunt is the sweetest lady in the world but this pushed her over the edge. She said to him “Good God man are you stupid, he is dead. He is not coming back, if you want to leave him a message I suggest you go to his grave and yell real loud… dumbass”

23. trollkiller says:

@mantari: You can thank the post office for that one. If the direct mail says “current resident” or any other variation of that it is a saturation mailing. The post office sells a list of valid addresses to a list company. Because those were valid addresses at one time the post office has them listed.

All Comcast or DirecTv is order a saturation mailing of the addresses in your area. They did not generate the list. My suggestion is deal with the post office and see if you can get those sub addresses removed.

24. Benny Gesserit says:

@92BuickLeSabre: That sounds less like marketing and more like stalking. Quick, hide the pet bunny!!!

@Martha_Jones: Your Mom and her friends are brilliant!! I’ve got to try that “prize” one some time.

25. Hedgy2136 says:

Just tell them you’ve decided to go the FTA route. They’ll know what you mean, and they will not be happy!

26. organizedhome says:

Here’s our family’s solution to the phone solicitation issue: give ‘em a fax number.

Spouse’s career means we have to have a dedicated fax line. The fax machine is hidden away in an office, and has the ringer reduced to a mere whisper, so it bothers only the dogs.

Companies can call all they want–but all they ever get is a fax tone in the ear when they do. Meanwhile, we’re not burdening somebody else by using a fake number, and there’s no issue of forgetting “our” phone number.

It IS our phone number–just not one that’s ever answered by anything other than a fax tone.

Works for us!

27. organizedhome says:

Oh, and just adding an additional reason to use the fax line to screen out phone solicitiations.

Whenever I get those annoying “you must call to verify this card” mailings–or must deal with the credit card companies–I use the fax phone. This way, our REAL number never gets out into circulation.

28. privatejoker75 says:

i get the same exact treatment form Directv

29. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@chouchou: can’t you just let the rep know? her name must be on that email somewhere…

30. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

What I want to know is, how do you stop POLITICAL marketing calls? With the election coming up, I know I’m going to get a deluge of pre-recorded messages from politician and lobbyists.

31. Crim Law Geek says:

I had a problem similar to this when I first got a landline in my apartment. Someone would call me and hang up every day at 9AM and 3PM. The Caller ID would show a number that when dialed got me an MCI call center. I kept telling them to stop calling me and they said it would take 10+ days to “process my request”.

I ended up calling the Pittsburgh Police, who happily took a report for a harassment complaint. I also filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s consumer division. Both of these things where done after I gave MCI fair warning. The calls stopped cold and I got a nice letter of apology, with a CC to the AG’s office. I haven’t gotten a call or anything for the rest of my life (this happened ~6 years ago and I have moved since).

32. SacraBos says:

I would never do business with Dish Network. When I had a fax line in my home, I *constantly* got illegal junk faxes from a variety of “distributors”. I should have sued them all, but now Disk can just deal with the fact they’ve permanently lost a potential customer.

33. derobert says:

@whomee: Not always true. At work we have a bunch of toll-free numbers, and our T1s don’t deliver ANIs for e.g. Verizon cell phones. Or rather, they do deliver one, but it’s not correct, and its the same for quite a few different phones.

34. consu_consu says:

“Dish Network Refuses To Leave You Alone After Cancellation”.
    Actually they refuse to leave me alone – even though I currently have their service. Every week, I get one or two calls from Dish network marketeers from India about this service.
    It seems to me that the DN outsources marketing calls to some private India operators who are under no ‘do not call’ obligations.

35. Will Clarke says:

@balthisar: I gave Dish Network my cell phone number initially since it’s my only number. I think this exempts them from the rule about commercial solicitations.

36. Will Clarke says:

@consu_consu: I used to get calls from Dish Network too about upgrading my service, but they weren’t every week. Maybe every other month. They were from India too, but one time they offered all the Showtime channels for pretty cheap so I signed up for that. I didn’t really have a problem with those calls though because they were so infrequent and sometimes they offered good deals. These daily calls are annoying.

37. Will Clarke says:

UPDATE: They didn’t call Thursday, Friday, or all weekend. But this happened one time before, I told them not to call, and it lasted a week or so and then the calls started up again. We’ll see what happens.

38. MainframeSysop says:

Well… Again Dish Network Customer Service shows it’s ugly side. See I believe Dish needs all the money it can squeeze right now seeing it’s splitting into two different companies. Echostar Holding, Co. will have the actual “Hardware” and Dish Network will continue to provide the actual service. So… their CS reps are… lets face it… for the most part CHEAP LABOR. But I do have the service and am pretty pleased (When I dont have to call a CSR!!!)

39. MainframeSysop says:

Oh yeah be careful with the “He died” thing just to be removed from the call list. Some companies will report that information to other companies that share the database. So your credit can be wiped out depending on who owns what. Just thought I would throw that in there! :)