Activision Acknowledges Guitar Hero III Wii Sound Issue, Will Offer Replacement Discs

In response to queries about that pesky Guitar Hero Wii issue we reported on awhile back, Activision told the New York Times:

We recently became aware that some consumers have not been able to enjoy the full audio output in the Nintendo Wii version of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. We are currently working with Nintendo and are planning to issue an improved audio experience in future versions of the game. We expect to have re-mastered discs available by early 2008 and we will be offering consumers replacement discs at no cost once they become available. We thank all of our customers for their support and patience.

No more rocking in mono, hooray!

Fixing Guitar Hero III’s Mono Problem [NYT]
(Photo:danoxster)

Comments

1. mupethifi says:

Thats what happens when they want a game out before the christmas rush. money over quality, as usual

2. johnva says:

Good for them for promising to fix it. It would have better if it hadn’t had this problem to begin with, but this is about the best response that could have been hoped for. I’ve played the game and enjoyed it even in the current version, but I might just wait until the “fixed” version is out there to buy it myself.

3. floydianslip6 says:

I still don’t see where all the anti-mono stuff comes from.

4. RottNDude says:

They still need to pull the existing defective copies from shelves, as they’re incorrectly labeled as “Dolby Pro Logic II” – you’d think Dolby would give a shit.

5. @floydianslip6: Well, the box says the game is in stereo so that’s false advertisement for one.

Secondly, stereo sounds better than mono and for a game where the music is the whole point the sound should be high quality.

6. kpfeif says:

Who gives a crap? I have a B&W speaker system (some serious $$$) and play Guitar Hero on that system…I’m so into the game that I never noticed where the audio comes from.

7. Shadowfire says:

@kpfeif: Then.. you should have bought a cheap system-in-a-box if you really can’t tell the difference. :P

8. Smackdown says:

I am just suffering from the fucking manufacturing problem that caused all Rock Band guitars to stop working after 3 hours of play.

9. North of 49 says:

our Wii GH3 got scratched and we can’t do a bunch of the songs. This replacement is a godsend to us.

10. whitjm5 says:

Good. Rockin’ in stereo > rockin’ in mono. Now they just need to release the Wii guitar a la carte.

11. SimonSwegles says:

@whitjm5: I gave up waiting and just bought an extra full copy to get the guitar. The current sound is really quite bad. I hope they put together replacements soon.

12. mopar_man says:

@kpfeif:

I don’t have a surround system at all and I still don’t notice for the same reason.

@Shadowfire:

I guess buying a surround system for something besides gaming is just ridiculous?