Recall: Handles Detach From Starbucks Cups, Spilling Scalding Liquid

Stop using these cups! The handles will detach, spilling your lovely hot beverage all over your tender flesh— and causing jerks on the internet to compare you to that “McDonald’s hot coffee woman.”

9 people have already been burned. Don’t be that guy! All 167,000 cups were sold at Starbucks for February 2007 through November 2007 for about $11. Return the cups to Starbucks for a full refund and a free beverage. Your un-scalded crotch will thank you.

Starbucks Recalls Coffee Mugs Due To Burn Hazard; Product Manufactured by lab921 [CPSC]

Comments

1. yetiwisdom says:

11 bucks for that cup!?! My groin is burning just thinking about it!

2. mbprice says:

An unscolded crotch is the real gift.

3. MYarms says:

Thats what you get for selling out to Starbucks.

4. Jeff_McAwesome says:

A couple things. First, since this is a mug, you are making the coffee yourself. If you are making the coffee hot enough to scald your hand, isn’t it hot enough to scald your mouth? Why would one heat the coffee that hot? Unless of course the coffee maker doesn’t have a temperature setting.

Second, is 9 people burned the number of people who have reported defective mugs, or the number that have actually reported the mug breaking and burning them? If it is the former, 9 mugs out of 167,000 does not really sound like enough of a reason to recall the mug. That’s .0054% I’m sure that most manufacturers would be thrilled to have a 99.9946% success rate.

Unless of course they did subsiquent testing after there were reports of burnings that showed that many of the mugs were not sturdy enough.

5. jrlcopy says:

Honestly, I don’t consider myself to be ‘selling-out’ by going to starbucks. We have a one local organic coffee shop in my area that isn’t starbucks. Sadly, the customer experience is horrible at the local place is horrible. I don’t want to deal with grumpy ‘just woke up’ workers at 8am. So I go to starbucks, where everyone is friendly and enjoyable.

6. protest says:

@MYarms:

don’t hate the player, hate the game. i’d gladly go to my local family owned coffee shop if their lattes didn’t taste like crap.

7. m4ximusprim3 says:

@Jeff_McAwesome:
    1) Some people make coffee very hot at home and then close the mug so it’s the right temperature when they get to work.

2) I like my coffee pretty hot. I like my privates to be temperature controlled at a cozy ~75* F.

3) Since it says “9 people burned”, I would assume that 9 people have been burned. Call me crazy.

4) agree with your conclusion that if only nine cups broke, they wouldn’t recall them. However, they are recalling them. Therefore, it seems logical (at least to me) to assume that more than nine cups broke.

8. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Why don’t we boycott Starbucks? From the way they treat Ethiopian coffee farmers, to their union-busting tactics in NYC, this company is the devil, as the Rev. Billy would say. Has anyone seen the movie “What Would Jesus Buy?”

9. esqdork says:

Do you guys remember the person complaining about a hot handle after heating her ceramic mug in the microwave with liquids? This illuminates why it is difficult to manufacture a cost-effective container that holds hot liquids and has a stable form.

10. DrGirlfriend says:

I saw the other day at a local Starbucks that they’re also recalling a children’s cup. I guess one of the parts falls off, or something like that. Yes, my mind is like a steel trap, I remember every little detail. :p

11. Buran says:

If you’re stupid enough to be drinking a hot beverage (and you knew it was gonna be hot, even at “normal” coffee temperature) and then GET INTO A CAR, you deserve to be laughed at.

12. louisb3 says:

@esqdork: Do you remember back when people understood that the purpose of a mug handle was to remain cool so that one could handle a mug?

13. Trai_Dep says:

Tsk tsk tsk.

Somewhere there’s a McDonald’s product marketing manager that’s screaming, “Damn it! We did it first! Pretender. PreTENDer!!”

14. Kezzerxir says:

If your drink is hot enough to burn you, then WHY ARE YOU DRINKING IT!!!111 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If you play with fire, you’re going to get burnt. Don’t order scalding hot coffee.

15. rjhiggins says:

@Buran: By your definition half the people I see on the road in the morning qualify as “stupid.”

16. Buran says:

@rjhiggins: Hey, I’m not going to argue with that. If you’re going to drink in a car, don’t drink something that will injure you if you spill it. Like soda, juice, or water.

17. esqdork says:

@louisb3: Do you remember that once upon a time people only poured hot beverages into mugs and then use them to heat the liquid?

18. louisb3 says:

@esqdork: No. What? Mugs that further heat already-hot beverages?

19. Maulleigh says:

I would be mad so much about the cup as my clothing and that I’d have to make/buy myself another cup. I don’t like anything to stand between me and my first cup of joe in the morning.

20. Maude Buttons says:

@Jeff_McAwesome: “First, since this is a mug, you are making the coffee yourself.” I…’m not sure where you get that piece of logic from, Chief. I own a mug along the same idea as the Starbucks one (though not from Starbucks) and I don’t only use it for made-at-home coffee. Sometimes, I’ll go into a deli or a coffee shop and have them fill that mug instead of giving me a paper cup.

@Buran: Where did you get “car” from? Do you think people only use mugs like that in cars?

21. Balisong says:

@Jeff_McAwesome: Sheesh, obviously some of you people haven’t ever spilled the water you’re pouring over your teabag all over your hand. Water from a coffee-maker is hot but your mouth can handle it in small sips, believe it or not. If you poured an entire mug of coffee into your mouth at once, yeah it’s gonna burn, but most people don’t drink coffee that way, just like most people don’t enjoy pouring said coffee into their lap when the handle falls off their cup.

22. Mary says:

*sigh* Every time something like this comes up people start talking about how coffee shouldn’t be that hot.

It is. Coffee that most people drink is hot enough to scald. I worked in a coffeeshop, I spilled that stuff all over me all the time. There’s a big difference between taking a sip off the top of a rapidly cooling beverage and spilling said beverage all over yourself, usually on clothing that you can’t easily remove that then adheres to the skin that is rapidly burning.

They’re two entirely different things. Coffee is supposed to be brewed at a certain temperature, it’s supposed to be served at a certain temperature. That temperature is hot enough to scald and burn skin.

I don’t like coffee, I don’t understand why in the world this is true, but it is.

Also, mugs like these are frequently taken in to coffeeshops to be filled up instead of using paper cups. Often, stores will offer a discount if you bring in your own mug. It’s much better for the environment.

23. Kimli says:

I own the “old logo” version of this mug, purchased from the Pike Market Starbucks (ooh, old timey). I’m not returning it – I like the mug a lot. Also, I only ever drink Diet Coke out of my mug. If the handle falls off and my drink spills all over my crotch, I will hold a frosty party in my nether regions.

24. Tim says:

“I’m gonna need some hot coffee here, SCALDING HOT!”