JetBlue Testing Inflight Email

Good News: Starting Tuesday, JetBlue is testing a new system that will let you check email and use IM while in the air.
Bad News: You can only use YahooMail and YahooMessenger, or your WiFi-enabled Blackberry.

I would be wiling to pay, hm, maybe up to $15 extra to be able to use airplane WiFi that accessed the entire internets. Crackberry and diddlymail (Yahoo) users will be thrilled. The rest of us will have to wait.

JetBlue to Test Inflight Email, Instant-Messaging Services [WSJ]
(Photo: MeghannMarco)

Comments

1. Beerad says:

Can they please set this up so that it only works when sound on the devices is turned off? I’m sure every flight from now on will be filled with buzzing, dinging, and blaring notification tones as people text their widdle thumbs off during the entire trip. Might be time to invest in some noise-reducing headphones.

2. iEddie says:

And what about the iPhone?

3. royal72 says:

i could use an inflight blowjob

4. Buran says:

Yahoo Mail? Try Gmail/Google Apps and you might have more demand for this. And why exactly does only one kind of wifi-enabled phone work when there are lots of others out there?

Who came up with this? Microsoft? It’s got just about the right amount of crippling.

5. realjen01 says:

you know a lot of people are super excited when their boss is on a plane with absolutely no contact with the outside world. if you have a needy or neurotic boss (which i’ve had before) you pray for her to be on a plane because that’s the only time she’ll leave you alone. think about that people!

6. doireallyneedausername says:

Honestly…I tried in-flight WiFi on my China Airlines flight. Its nothing exciting. Slower than 384k DSL, but only a tinge faster than 56k dial-up. And it was $25, but I was able to use it for free with a voucher. Nothing special.

7. MYarms says:

Nobody sees this becoming a problem? Like for example: when landing and they announce that its time to turn off all of your electronics and people are still trying to download some email pr0n on their 900 baud airplane modem.

8. babaki says:

@royal72: +1. now thats something id gladly pay extra for.

9. Tank says:

i’m in line after royal72

10. Mr. Gunn says:

I forsee lots of “OMG my snowflake is irreparably scarred because the person next to her got goatse’d”.

11. Lin-Z [linguist on duty] says:

I can’t imagine this being too exciting…and seriously why Yahoo messenger? booooo

12. OwenCatherwood says: