Two Techs and Two Months Later, Your FiOS Still Isn't Installed

One day after work I pull into my apartment complex and notice that there are quite a few Verizon trucks and vans parked outside of our apartment office accompanied with “SIGN UP FOR FiOS TODAY” signs plastered just about everywhere you can see. At first I shrugged this off because I am not, and have never been, a fan of Verizon. Then my girlfriend gets home and suggests we at least check it out. So we go over to the little reception they are having and talked to a nice girl about the speeds of their FiOS internet (which is what I was interested in) and the HD TV (what my girlfriend was interested in).

We were sold on the 20up/5down internet package and just the normal TV with HD service. We were passed to a salesman with at least two cell phones in his hands at all times who was constantly having either us or someone on the phone wait while he paced around the place. Very odd to say the least. Once we had filled out the paperwork we were then given one of his phones to speak with a Verizon rep. I explained that I wanted a weekend install and the rep on the other end said that just was not possible as they do not install on weekends. So we settle on the following Wednesday, I would just take off of work.

Before I knew it a week had gone by and I was waiting for the Verizon tech to come and install my lovely FiOS package. Around 8:30 a man looking like someone that just got off of a three day crystal-meth bender shows up at my door. He comes in, has me take down ALL the clothes in my closet so he can get to the access panel that is right above the inside part of the door…. This did not make any sense to me either, but whatever.

I leave the room and go to my computer to do some work and about 5 minutes later he walks out without saying anything and then comes back after a 10 minutes absence. He does this about three more times until he comes back with a woman. This is when I realized they were either going to use my bedroom for something immoral or there was a problem with my install. They both go in and I hear muffled voices. They both come out and he explains that he broke the ‘pull string’ that is used to get the FiOS into the apartment and says “You won’t be getting FiOS today.” I understood that problems happen and asked what would happen from here. He and the woman explained that they would need the contractors who originally routed the Fiber to come out and snake it through again. I then asked if they did weekend installs because I can’t afford to miss another day of work. Both the man and woman said “Oh absolutely! Did they tell you we don’t?” He then said I would have someone call me very shortly and then they left.

I immediately called Verizon and informed them of the mishap. They were very pleasant and noted everything I had said (or so I thought) and the rep told me that someone would contact me by the end of the day. This did not happen, go figure.

Two days later on that Friday, I stayed home from work because I was under the weather and I get a call from what I imagine was the foreman and he says that he only has an appointment for the following Wednesday and that he “absolutely promises it will be installed that day!” because he was going to have a team in the basement (where the fiber comes in) and someone in my apartment. I reluctantly agree to the date. I then informed my girlfriend of the plans and she said that I should not have to take another day off of work because of their screw-up and I agreed with her and called Verizon to demand a weekend install. I spoke with another polite rep and said that I do not care how long I have to wait, I need a weekend install. He said they only have one for December 1st and that is the closest date he can get me, I agree and being to wait over a month for my tech to arrive (again).

Before the December 1st install date an actual real, red blooded, person called me to confirm the install. I explained to her what had happened the first time and she said that she had notes on it but was going to make more notes on it (wtf?). I did not understand why she would make more notes on the exact thing she had notes on but I confirmed the install date and got off the phone.

Come December 1st a tech showed up promptly at 9am and he comes in and to my shock, he did not ask me to remove all the clothing from my closet (thank god) and he goes to the access panel. He then comes out and says “Did someone come to re-route the fiber up?” and I told him that I had no idea and that no one besides him and the first tech had been in my apartment.

He then leaves to have someone go to the basement to snake it up. He comes up and goes back down about 4 more times and informs me that the fiber is stuck on something and that he needs to get the contractors out there to get into the walls to get it out… So basically said what the first tech had said! He was baffled why they even let him come out since this had not been done yet. He then tells me that when Verizon is giving someone the ‘run around’ like they are doing to me, they usually offer a 3-month free service package and possibly an lcd tv. He gets on the phone with the foreman and the foreman suggests $100 worth of gift cards for my troubles. I just laughed when the tech told me this. He then told me that the foreman would definitely call me on Monday the 3rd (yesterday) but could not give me a number to contact him. So the tech leaves and I have wasted yet another day of my time but this time was worse because I needed to drive to central New York from out here in Boston so leaving without having my FiOS installed left a rather displeasing taste in my mouth.

While in New York (on Sunday) I get an email on my iPhone that my Verizon FiOS install has been rescheduled for Monday the 3rd of December between the hours of 8am and 5pm. At this point I lost it. Not only do these incompetent people not know what the hell they are doing, but they are scheduling ALL DAY appointments without even seeking approval from the customer! At this point there was not a phrase in the English language that could express my utter disdain for the ineptitude of this company.

On Monday morning I make yet another phone call to tell explain the exact same thing I have to everyone I spoke with. The rep said that I did indeed have an appointment for Monday and I demanded the number to the foreman in my area to which he was unable to provide. He did however put in a (completely f*cking useless) “Trouble ticket” to my local dispatch for them to call me. Keep in mind, the foreman was supposed to call me this same day too. Come Monday night no one has called and I am still FiOS’less.

It has been about two months since I originally signed up for service that was supposed to be installed within a week. I have no clue who to call to not have wade through there completely useless automated machine garbage (although I find it cute how every time I call it tries to connect to my set-top box… the set-top box that I don’t f*cking have!). Excuse the poor grammar, sentence structure, etc… and feel free to clean up the expletives I’ve included in this rant about the sh*ttiest company on the face of the f*cking planet.

-Thomas

No worries, Thomas, we added a few asterisks in there for you. If we were you, we would cancel this install. If this is how they treat you when they are trying to get your business, imagine what it will be like once they have it?

If you’re not into that, try sending this email to Verizon’s CEO. We hear that gets results.

(Photo:wsh1266)

Comments

1. presidentcerrano14 says:

i thought my fios install story was frustrating but it was a breeze compared to yours. they were supposed to install this past friday, but never showed up or called, claiming a glitch in the system with my phone order “dominoed” (her words) into canceling my install. i rescheduled for sunday (surprise, contrary to my original request for a week end install) and was also shocked to get a call from a live person confirming for sunday. the person who called to confirm acted like the people you described, surprised at the idiocy of verizon’s other employees. why are they still surprised. i got the same run-around as you, but it ended on a positive note when i called their business office yesterday to complain, and the rep. gave me a $20/mo. discount for the duration of the contract, which will amount to $480. so i got that going for me. verizon certainly didn’t make a good first impression.

2. Finder says:

Off topic, but what’s with the censoring of swear words? You can clearly see what it is. Are people who would be offended by such language really going to be less offended because you used an asterisk in place of an ‘i’ in shittest or a ‘u’ in fuck? What a waste of time.

3. benh57 says:

Sorry, but no way. These are pretty much normal issues that happen when contractors install infrastructure in your house. FIOS is like heaven compared to dealing with the cable companies. Trust me, it’s worth it.

In no way, shape or form is Vrerizon the ‘sh*ttiest company on the face of the f- planet’ because of these normal issues. That honor belongs to Comcast, then Time Warner, then Best Buy, then many others before Verizon.

4. ironchef says:

@benh57:
    I agree.

Cable companies are bigger morons.

5. Buran says:

Call them up one more time to say “Forget it, you can’t keep your promises, I’m sticking with someone who can”.

6. skeleem_skalarm says:

I had a cell through them, and they screwed me big time, but when we moved into our house, Verizon was what was available for phone service, landline-wise. We’ve had absolutely no problem with them since we’ve had the service, and when I had questions and requests, they answered my questions and fulfilled my requests. After reading the complaints here about the FIOS, though, I know I’d never trust them for that, nor, of course, would I ever have cell service with them again.

7. ChrisC1234 says:

For people who are at work all day who have their access monitored perhaps? I know my employer would be suspicious if I was looking at sites plastered with the f word.

8. headon says:

@Benh57: Nah, it’s Verizon. Hey which division of the company do you work for

9. Rachacha says:

Verizon either screws things up so bad that it takes months to get it straightened out or they are perfect and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Due to a clerical error, it took Verizon 5 months to provision a speed increase for my DSL Line that was already installed. but their computer system said that it had been completed.

My Fios Internet & TV installs (2 seperate installs) went perfectly. The techs were knowlegable and courteous and went above and beyond to make sure that I was completely satisfied. In both installs the tech himself called to give me an estimated time of arrival (something narrower than the 8-5 window) and called again as he was leaving his previous appointment to make sure I was at home. Sorry you are having so much difficulty.

10. mconfoy says:

So let me get this straight. I have Comcast now, but they really suck. I can get FIOS here also, but they really suck too. So I should “fill in the blank” instead?

11. amejr999 says:

Verizon Wireless is a different company, FWIW.

After they majorly botched my installation (6 times, and 3 of those were after a complaint to the BPU) I’m currently getting 6 months free of a triple play which will save me 700-800 dollars. Moral of the story… they’ll mess up really badly but compensate pretty well for it. Filing complaints with your state’s BPU/PUC is a great strategy as well.

12. LyricalGangster says:

I imagine they’re using contractors for FiOS. If so, just understand that the contractors are at the mercy of the information they get from Verizon. They have zero pull with the company.

13. Klink says:

@headon: Nice one.
    I have fios, and have had problems for 2 weeks since the install. My favorite moment was when they called for the survey. “After having fios for 2 weeks, how have you enjoyed it?” “I dunno. How about you call me when it starts working?”
    It turns out the tech “cascaded” 2 wi-fi routers on top of each other, which for these crappy actiontecs, is a Big no-no. I had to wait for a special order 8-port wired one, and cascade my own Linksys one.
    Other than that, it’s been fine.
    Except that because cablevision is suing them in my area, I can’t get fios tv so they have a special deal through DirecTV, and have recieved bills from bothe Verizon and DirecTV, but that was cleared up.
    @ChrisC1234: Maybe you should be doing work instead, or install that firefox plugin… I don’t remember what it is called, but it can censor OR un-censor sites.

14. trollkiller says:

I am wondering why someone would leave a installer, that looked like he was off a three day meth bender, alone in the bedroom.

15. Rachacha says:

@LyricalGangster: It may be different in other areas of the country but I believe that Verizon uses contractors to run the main infrastructure for all fiber running up to your home, but Verizon employees actually do the installation in the home. It sounds like Thomas is in an apartment and there is some miscommunication between the contractor that runs the fiber and Verizon. What I don’t understand is why the Verizon tech could not run the fiber from the basement himself, that seems like the logical thing…wait, never mind, I answered my own question, logic shall never enter into the equation as that would make too much sense ;-).

16. nonzenze says:

I feel your pain buddy. I’ve had nothing but amazing success with FIOS – quick and clean install with no fuss.

17. world-inferno says:

i’m in boston, had trouble with my fios tv/internet install. one no show, then they actually showed up for the next appointment (3 hours late) without the necessary equipment. the third install took 4 hours (one tv, one computer).

not as bad as your experience, but it still sucked. but i have to admit, now that we’ve have had it for 3 months and the installation hell experience is fading, it is AWESOME. the HDDVR is the best i’ve ever seen, it destroys comcast / rcn / cox / time warner / directv. great ondemand, great dvr, great hd. my friend has their multi-room dvr and that is amazing as well.

20/5 net ain’t too bad either!

18. deserthiker says:

I don’t know what Verizon’s problem is but it took quite a few calls to get signed up. I signed up online and no luck. I called and pre-ordered: nothing. Finally when I got something in the mail and called they came and hooked me up.

The guy came and hooked up a battery pack in my bedroom. He put it in a place where I had a nightstand and now the nightstand won’t go flush to the wall. I should’ve had him put it somewhere else. My bad. He asked if we were using our coaxial cable and I told him, no, we’d had cable disconnected. It still worked but we had it disconnected. Time Warner just never shut it off. He said he could use that and would not have to run a line. I said sure. He hooked it up. He then drilled a hole in the wall from my living room to my office and just stuck the cable through the wall, no jack, no cover, just a cable through the wall. Oh well, I can make it look better later.

So today I get my Verizon bill. They charged me $95.00 for a jack installation and $43.10 for a visit. Nice. The ad specifically says FREE installation. AND I did not get a jack. The guy just used my existing cable. I will be calling Verizon tomorrow and complaining. I am not happy with the install and I am REALLY not happy with the billing.

I am however very happy with the FIOS itself. It’s WAY faster than my old DSL and faster than my buddy’s cable. Now if the price jump between 15 and 30 Mb weren’t so extreme I’d consider it. Just don’t make me go through installation again.

19. STrRedWolf says:

Ask for Verizon’s Ombudsman. When Verizon came out here in Maryland with FiOS (before TV) the installer came out, checked a few things, and said that he couldn’t install it completely due to Anne Arundel County law (he couldn’t do a direct connection, the line needed to be buried). He gave us an option to get things installed as much as possible until the line came in. So we did.

A few weeks later, we called Verizon to find out when we’d get the line put in the ground. They send out a tech… the same tech! While the tech is there they call to find out how it’s going on, and I tell them “WE NEEDED THAT LINE BURIED!” in a nice calm voice and tenor. “Here, we got the tech here too, here he his.” He chatted for a while, and handed the phone back, before saying “Let me call the usual contractor that does the line burial, find out when it will be.”

Turns out Verizon dropped said contractor for AAC.

After dialing through for a month just to get a line buried, Verizon’s CSR’s forward it to an Ombudsman, who realizes they want to keep us and get a team from Virginia to haul their butts up and bury the line.

And then send another team to bury the line… which we intercepted and said “Hey, it’s done already.” “Oh…” After some chatting with the contractor that turns out they were the scheduled for that day, and apparently the Ombudsman pushed for the earlier contractor.

One last call, the tech comes back out, finishes the install and leaves an Actiontec router for a later FiOS TV install that took half a day and was done that day.

20. FLJOE says:

Verizon FIOS TV also adds unrequested service to an account.

When I moved to a new home, I had my FIOS TV and HSI moved. My first statement after the move was almost double the previous statement. A line by line investigation showed premium packages added (movie channel, HBO) in addition to new unjustified activation charges. After speaking with several CSRs I was told I couldn’t speak to a supervisor but one would call me but couldn’t tell me when. Four hours later I got the call and 30 minutes after that the charges were reversed.

21. FLJOE says:

I had a billing issue with Verizon that could not be corrected after 6 months (charged for an extra DVR I did not have) An email to the CEO had the problem corrected the following day with at least 6 calls from various departments to be sure I was happy.

22. hexychick says:

@benh57: So in your world 2 months without installation is normal service and should be expected? Even Comcast (whom I am stuck with and not a fan of) can get an installation done faster than that.

23. Brad2723 says:

Verizon sucks, Comcast apparrently sucks (never had service with them)… It seems that we are increasingly being asked to choose between the lesser of two evils.
    And when are these companies going to realize that the majority of complaints stem from the ineptitude of their customer service reps?

24. Razzler says:

Thanks for letting us know you have an iPhone, guy. Really relevant detail.

25. Ceric Neesh says:

Um…. I know I’m late to the game (I was looking something else up), but I’ve got a question: Is he complaining about the fact that HE delayed his installation by over a month so that he didn’t have to take off work, and then when Verizon can’t provide a full team because they probably don’t have one on weekends, he gets frustrated to the point of cursing?

Verizon didn’t force him to wait until December 1st to get the install done. He chose to do so, and Dec. 1 was the first available date.