Rumor is that when Good Morning America ran a piece about Mona Shaw, the cranky old lady who busted up a Comcast office with a hammer, Comcast subscribers in her home town suddenly found their ABC channel had gone black. [Comcast Must Die]

Comments

1. kakashisan says:

*Gasp*

Comcast censoring? Say it isn’t so!

2. homerjay says:

One whole town. That oughta stop the bad press. Way to go Comcast.

3. jrdnjstn78 says:

All’s they had to do is unplug the cable wire and watch regular reception, it’d be a little fuzzy but watchable.

4. Jeff_McAwesome says:

@jrdnjstn78: Not necesserily. With a halfway decent antenna, they could actually get HD and thus a better picture than their standard cable offers.

5. Censorship? Strike 2.

6. ogman says:

And this is surprising?

7. Comcast in my area censors out competitor’s commercials served up by the cable channels. I’ve been watching the Discovery Channel, during commercials I’ll see the first 2 seconds of a NetZero commercial start, but then suddenly it cuts to a local commercial for a dealership, lawyer or even a Comcast Triple-Play spot. This happens every time on the non-network channels. First 2 seconds of a DirectTV commercial… ZAP! Cut right to a local commercial. So on and so forth.

8. Bryan Price says:

@LastVigilante: I’m getting plenty of NetZero, Dish, AT&T and other competitive commercials with Comcast. You’re just watching them paste in their local commercials at the wrong time. The little interstitials that SciFi has used to just get one second of exposure before the commercial would run, and then we’d have four seconds of the commercial they were supposedly replacing. They’ve since fixed that.

I remember when the timing was down to the millisecond. That’s when those annoying beeps would be heard that told the computer that a commercial break was so many seconds away. Now, I don’t know how they sync, but it sucks.

9. darkclawsofchaos says:

suspicious, we cannot say for sure its Comcast no matter how overwhelming the evidence…

10. Goatweed says:

Didn’t I just read someplace that the CEO wanted to stop the bad press & negative viewpoints his company is getting?

Yeah, this move really helped that cause out…

11. mac-phisto says:

wouldn’t this be a violation of broadcasting rights & warrant a fine from the fcc if true?

12. UESC says:

that’s so lame!

13. rg says:

It’s possible it was a fluke. ABC’s signal is consistently bad here in Florida and in SF where I travel frequently. Often, the HD channel is so choppy I have to go back to the regular channel just to watch a show. Even then, on the regular (non HD) channel, I’m constantly having to change the volume…TV show, volume very soft, commercial, volume VERY LOUD!! Only happens on ABC.

14. @Bryan Price: They certainly are cutting and pasting local commercials consistently at the wrong time, and whether or not it is on purpose is unknown, but more than a dozen occasions it is definitely convenient for them. As for the SciFi channel, I wouldn’t know because they cut SciFi from my lineup while at the same time they keep raising my rates.