CPSC Issues Holiday Safety Brochure

Nancy Nord and the CPSC have published what might the densest collection of common sense “advice” we’ve ever seen: the “2008 Holiday Decoration Safety Tips” brochure, which you can download here if you need to. Among their tips: buy fire-resistant or non-flammable items whenever possible, don’t leave candles unattended, and don’t overwhelm the CPSC with “too much” power.

All snark aside (okay, not all), it’s worth a quick glance just in case there’s something here you’ve managed to miss your whole life. Or just trust us that these seemed like the most important items:

  • Use care with “fire salts,” which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. They contain heavy metals that, if eaten, can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting. Keep them away from children.
  • Do not burn wrapping paper or plastic items in the fireplace. These materials can ignite suddenly and burn intensely, resulting in a flash fire.
  • Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
  • Burning evergreens in the fireplace can also be hazardous. When dry, greens burn like tinder. Flames can flare out of control, and send sparks flying into a room, or up the chimney to ignite creosote deposits.

Basically, just don’t be a dumbass with the fireplace and/or Christmas trees this Christmas. Thanks, Nancy!

“CPSC Warns: Avoid Hazards Related to Holiday Decorating” [CPSC]

RELATED
downloadable PDF version
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. catnapped says:

    She forgot: “And if something DOES go wrong, don’t bother us–WE DON’T CARE!!!!”

  2. burgundyyears says:

    The advice isn’t all dense, and you’d be surprised how many people manage to burn down their houses with candles. Now, will the people that really need to be told these things ever see this pamphlet? Well…

  3. theblackdog says:

    Oh man, if there are kids who are breaking bubble lights to try and drink the liquid, there’s a major problem with them.

  4. no.no.notorious says:

    Use care with “fire salts,” which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires
    —-
    sweet! i want some of that!

  5. QuiteSpunky says:

    The danger of flames flying into the chimney is why I always burn my Christmas trees directly in the living room instead of the fireplace.