A Year Supply Of Coke For Anyone Who Helps Catch The Vending Machine Bandits

If you know who has been ripping off Coke vending machines in Pennsylvania’s LeHigh Valley, you could be the winner of a years supply of Coca-Cola.

Two men have been stealing money from 27 Coke and other vending machines throughout the Lehigh Valley, says WFMZ. The locks on the machines are not broken or picked, so the men must have a key. If you know who they are, tell the Bethlehem Township Police Department.

As an added incentive.. Coca-Cola is offering a year supply of Coke products to anyone with info leading to an arrest.

Go get ‘em!

Coca-Cola Offering Reward for Capture of Vending Machine Vandals [WFMZ]

Comments

1. Skiffer says:

Awesome!!!!!
    Oh, wait…Coke as in Coca-Cola….

2. Chase says:

I think I have solved this caper.

[Bingo!]

Time to go collect my free diabetes! Woo! ^.^

3. nanoalpha says:

The dude’s face looks like Zangief.

4. levenhopper says:

@Chase: Are you really that naive to think that having sugar leads to diabetes?

Sure, obsiety does, but if you work out so you don’t gain the weight from all the free Coke you shouldn’t get diabetes just from excess intake sugar.

I’m a type 1 diabetic, and it always annoys me when people say excessive sugar intake leads to diabetes.

5. tange1 says:

Oh man, I live in the Lehigh valley. I’m going out now to find the fools and get my free soda!

6. ancientsociety says:

@levenhopper: Considering the “sugar” in Coke is actually HFCS….

7. PaulMorel says:

@levenhopper: I was under the impression that having too much sugar in your diet over a long period of time could cause type 2 diabetes … but IANAD (I Am Not A Doctor)

8. PaulMorel says:

any doctors care to correct the argument and put this comments thread back on the right track?

9. Canadian Impostor says:

My dad lives in that area and drinks a lot of Coke. I forwarded him the link so that he can crack this case and drink himself into an amputated foot.

10. godai says:

From the Las Angeles Chinese Learning Center:

[chinese-school.netfirms.com]

“Eating sweets or the wrong kind of food does not cause diabetes. However, it may cause obesity and this is associated with people developing Type 2 diabetes.

11. Edinboron says:

Don’t you Lehigh Valleyites call it “POP”?

12. MENDOZA!!!!! says:

1. HFCS
    2. Obesity
    3. Type 2 Diabeter

4. Profit!

13. headon says:

@levenhopper: Calm down. Jeez Louise. It annoys you what other people think, I for one think it is sugar that leads to diabetes. So there.

14. protest says:

@Edinboron:

Pop is usually all points west of Harrisburg.

15. Hinomura says:

sugar def causes problems for the body regardless. it’s akin to a mild poison in the body. ever notice that you get mad thirsty and pee a lot if you ingest lots of sweets? that’s your kidney and liver trying to filter all that shit out.

@chase: HAHAHAHAHA dude I haven’t thought of him since I was like 4 yrs old. he still don’t got shit on the Ultimate Warrior though!!!!!

16. crnk says:

“bad consumer” tag?

I call him a thief…

17. Alvis says:

Post certainly NOT pop in the LV.

18. ideagirl says:

@levenhopper: Well, my husband was borderline diabetic, and he quit eating sugar last year. His latests tests show no sign of diabetes. Not saying it is that way for evryone, but is certainly is for some.

19. Bladefist says:

psh. coke for a year. gimme cold hard cash so I can buy pepsi.

20. MeOhMy says:

Looks like ACAMBRAS to me!!!

21. AD8BC says:

Some friends in college used to knock off Pepsi machines by squirting salt water into the dollar bill acceptors. According to my old boss (who actually holds some patents in vending machine technology, such as the first dollar bill verifier and some technology that determines the value of a coin by how fast it rolls down a specific angle) the salt water is able to get in and short out the Vend Enable relay which causes the machine to think that it is continually being fed dollar bills — all you need to do is push buttons and it even gives change for each “purchase”. But these were all older pepsi machines and this was a well-known trick at the time, published on the not-so-well known (at the time) Internet. I’m sure that the vending machine companies have put in safeguards for this… unless these machines in Pennsylvania are pretty old.

22. tcolberg says:

After Coke gives everyone Type II diabetes, they just make an Insulin-flavored Coke = PROFIT$$!!!

23. mattindustries says:

I wonder if they are using the old 4231 trick?

Google coke machine 4231 if you don’t know what it is.

24. Trai_Dep says:

I for one feverently hope the local drug dealer extends this 1-year offer in the event that he’s robbed. Not for me, of course: for the kids!

Oh. Wait.

25. cashmerewhore says:

@levenhopper:

Coke (unless you’re drinking zero or diet) = empty calories.

Empty calories can equal weight gain if activity is not changed.

Weight gain can equal obesity.

Obesity can trigger type 2.

And lets be honest, if you didn’t have to pay for cola/soda/pop/coke whatever for the next year, I doubt you would be “drinking responsibily”.

[coke nutrion information] two 20oz bottles is an approximately 500 extra calories. If you drink two a day, you you will gain a pound every week (one pound is approximately 3500 unburned calories)

52 pounds for the free year.

26. dirtymoney says:

solution…. change the locks! Or put an extra padlock over the main lock.

27. magebomb says:

i had to create an account just to say this..

they say the locks are not damaged or picked.

picking leaves no evidence.

and picking a using a key can look pretty similar on cameras to a good picker.

this just bothered me so much i had to login.

/amatuer lockpicker

//slashies

28. Invisobel says:

@protest: Up until Orlando FL, then it becomes coke or soda again :)

29. Invisobel says:

@Invisobel: Uhhh meant south of there…

30. mexifelio says:

LOL @ Zangeif arm-swing.

31. pestie says:

Ahh, this reminds me of my high school/college days, back when vending machines could be fooled by a dollar bill with some clear tape attached for pulling it back out. Heh…

I’m not sure they could really tell if the locks were picked or not. Sometimes lock picks leave scratches on the cylinder, but so does fumbling around with a key. My guess is that the Coke machines have tubular locks, possibly even all keyed the same. If so, a tubular lockpick would only need to be set once (they retain their settings and can be used like a key until reset). I’m surprised I don’t hear about this kind of thing happening more often.

32. peggynature says:

@PaulMorel:

“Diabetes, heart disease, obesity, allergies, gallstones, hypoglycemia, cancer and even behavioral problems have all been blamed on eating too much sugar. Where is the truth in all of this?
    Other than contributing to tooth decay, current research does not show any link between sugar, at least in the amounts we normally eat, and today’s health problems. Although people who have diabetes must keep track of how much sugar they eat as part of a carefully planned diet, it is not diet or sugar that causes diabetes. Sugar is also not the cause of weight problems. Extra Calories come from all foods, especially those which contain fat.”

[www.dietitians.ca]

33. cashmerewhore says:

@peggynature:

Soda is especially bad since there is no nutritional value to it. And phosphorus can upset the natural body ratio and strip calcium from your bones. All major coke products (including diet & zero) contain phosphorus (basically any product with ‘coke’ in the name)

Soda & Calcium

34. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Wow, zero to off-topic in less than 6 seconds! And here I thought this was supposed to be one of those “on the lighter side” articles, but instead it’s ended up in a bitter argument about whether or not drinking too much Coke causes diabetes.

Doesn’t anyone ever stick to the topic of the article any more?

Many of the vending machines use the round Chicago-lock pin-style mechanisms, and I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to find an illicit supplier of keys. However, ripping off vending machines hardly seems worth the risk, even if you’re already a criminal.

35. velocipenguin says:

@levenhopper:

Consuming excessive amounts of sugar (which leads to releases of large amounts of insulin) can cause reduced sensitivity to insulin, better known as type 2 diabetes. Type 1 isn’t related to sugar consumption at all, but type 2 can be caused or exacerbated by high sugar intake.

36. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

I thought the post was about the evils of HFCS ?
    You can have your Coke and your Pepsi, I’ll stick to RC!

37. shades_of_blue says:

wow I live in LV too, I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Year’s supply of Coke, nice. Wonder if I can transfer the reward to another individual, that was I can eBay the reward.

38. Dustbunny says:

I just wanna say Coke Zero FTW! I don’t know what they put in it, but it tastes even better than regular Coke.

39. mconfoy says:

@Cassifras: Do you have any scientific evidence that HFCS is any worse than cane sugar health wise? You do not of course.

40. minneapolisite says:

Isn’t anyone curious how much Coke is a year’s supply? Do I get a can a day? A 20-oz a day? A feeding tube?

41. RvLeshrac says:

@minneapolisite:

“A year’s supply” usually equates to X coupons for free Y.

It often works out to one free box/case/2-liter per week, though it varies per company and per promotion. I know Doritos (Frito-Lay) was offering a ‘lifetime supply’ that was one bag a week recently.

The same applies for “A lifetime supply of…” promotions.

Given that this is cola, it will more likely be a choice of X 2-liters or Y cases/week (some of us dislike acidic products in metal cans).

With regards to Type-II Diabetes, it doesn’t require refined sugars, just a poor diet.

42. RvLeshrac says:

@RvLeshrac:

Type-I and Type-II will often present in the presence of a high sugar intake, but that’s merely a symptom of the disease. Blaming it on the sugar alone is much like blaming cold water for sensitive teeth.

43. B1663R says:

anyway… here is a fun little fact. did you know Canadian Coca-cola actually tastes better than American Coca-cola? it’s true!!

the reason is that Canadian coke is made with sugar and American coke is made with HFCS. same goes with a ton of other stuff such as ketchup and anything else normally flavored with HFCS.

i guess canadian health guys think that sugar is safer, i personally think that HFCS is harder to digest and that leads to a contributing factor in American obesity.

someone write a book on that!

44. iaintgoingthere says:

@PaulMorel: Sugar is the leading cause of tooth decay. IANAD (I Am Not A Dentist)

45. RvLeshrac says:

@DSaddict:

At the time the switch was made, HFCS was much cheaper than sugar.

The switch will be made again as corn rises in price.

46. korith says:

Yep canadian coke has a slightly better taste than the american brand. Goes for many other soft drinks as well.