Tape Customer Service Calls With RecordMyCalls.com

RecordMyCalls is a super-easy way to record your customer service calls. Just sign up, call their 1-800 number, then call the number on which you wish your call to be recorded. After the call is over, the recording is immediately available on the site for review, downloading, and sharing. The main drawback is that it will cost you a $4.95/month or $9.95/month subscription plan, with recording rates of 20 cents and 15 cents per minute, respectively. We personally prefer using Skype + HotRecorder but for lazy people or those with no technical aptitude or really need to record a call and are aware from their “base” computer, RecordMyCalls is a viable option.

Note: Every time we offer a tool for recording calls, a lot of people whine about whether it’s legal or not…

Technically, we’ll never know until a customer is actually sued by a company for recording a call. Otherwise, what follows is a list of states requiring you to tell the other person that you’re recording if the call (mainly to ensure that the recording would be legally admissible in court):

States Requiring Two-Party Notification
California
Connecticut
Florida
Illinois
Montana
Michigan
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Washington

All other states only require one-party notification, i.e. yourself.

RecordMyCalls [Official Site]

Comments

1. courts1978 says:

Sounds like what I’m looking for but I’d prefer to have it stored locally. Does anyone know of a free app to run on my on system?

2. XTC46 says:

@courts1978: what type of phone system do you have? is it a standard phone line or a VoIP set up? or is it a softphone via VoIP?

3. Nelsormensch says:

@courts1978: That would be the Skype + Hot Recorder combo that Ben mentioned.

4. designbean says:

What about Canada? legal?

5. Ben Popken says:

@Nelsormensch: For HotRecorder to be worth it, you need to upgrade to the pay version. Otherwise you have like a 2 minute limit on your calls. It’s less than $20 if I recall correctly, and worth it, in my book.

6. MercuryPDX says:

@courts1978: iTunes? Windows Media Player? Web Browser? I’m guessing that the download would either be in MP3, WAV or SWF format so you should already have whatever free app you need. :)

7. dotcomlarry says:

Question: If when calling customer service, and they tell *you* it’s being recorded, do you have an obligation to tell them you’re recording *them*?

8. swedub says:

I wonder if you can get away with telling the recording which says “This call may be recorded …” that you are also recording. If a recording is enough to tell me they are recording me why I can’t tell that same recording that I am recording them? Shouldn’t that notification be recording you at that moment anyway? Otherwise, why doesn’t a live human usually tell you that they are recording you? Don’t mind me, I’m just thinking out loud.

9. sommere says:

Question: If I am in a “one party” state (MN) am I allowed to record any of my calls I want? Or do they also have to be in a one party state?

10. alhypo says:

They need to offer a per-recording option for paying. I can’t imagine many people needing to record their calls with a subscription-based service. I make perhaps two calls a year that I might like to record.

11. alhypo says:

@sommere: I’m pretty sure you only need to abide by the laws of your own state.

12. mr.Man says:

Audio Hijack Pro offers a sweet solution for Mac owners…not free, but works like a charm for me with Gizmo.

13. courts1978 says:

In my state only one party needs to know the call is being recorded, ie. me. I do computer repair and often have to call cutomers for approval before proceeding. I would just like to record the calls so if there is ever any question I would have proof of our discussion. I’m using a regular landline. Also I’m just getting started officially (opening a real shop instead of doing it from home) so every penny saved is one more day might business doesn’t go under.

14. IANAL, but I’ve been told this at least twice by people who are:

“This call may be recorded for ….”

MAY is a granting of permission, from a legal perspective. You now MAY record the call, just as the company you are calling may do so.

So, if your favorite company has that verbiage before their call-tree system, take heart, you are (probably, consult your own darned lawyer) perfectly free to record the call, as you’ve been given permission by the other party to do so.

15. goller321 says:

@Derek Balling: Good call…

Viatalk promised this service for years now, but never has delivered on a solid working product. It was the reason I switched to them and they never did make good on it.

Side note- Viatalk recently scammed many customers out of $2.50/month in “E911 fees” all posted on broadbandreports.com ‘s Viatalk forum. I tried to get it posted here, but they never did. For the record, I advise against going with them for numerous reasons…

16. laserjobs says:

If you use Grand Central click to call in your address book you can record the conversation by pressing 4 during the call. Grand Central gives you “for life” phone number that you can forward your calls to. It was bought out by Google a little while ago and they are offering all the services for free, the only catch is you will need to get an invite to join up but those can be found by searching the web.

17. Xerloq says:

@sommere: @alhypo: Once you cross state lines, you’re engaged in interstate commerce, which is regulated by the Feds which require two-party notification. That’s why companies headquartered in (or calling from) the one-party states still announce that the call may be recorded.

@Derek Balling: It’s true that semantically ‘may’ is different than ‘might’ (‘may’ implies permission and ‘might’ implies possibility), I’d consult your lawyer first.

Or you could always just be straight with the company you’re calling and tell them you’re recording if you really want to record the call. That way you’re safe in one- and two-party states as well as with the feds. Trying to be sneaky is a recipe for legal disaster.

Of course all this matters only if you plan to use the conversation as legal evidence in a suite against them, which, given the mandatory arbitration you most likely agreed to when you started doing business with them, probably will never happen anyway.

18. Ben Popken says:

@Xerloq: Incorrect. The Federal law only requires one-party notification.

19. chrishad95 says:

I have read somewhere, I think it was a legal advice kind of site, that you if you are in a one party state but are talking to someone in a two-party state then you are under the stipulations of the two-party state. Now, you can take that with your own grain of salt, but my guess is, if you have to ask the question, you’re worried about covering your butt, so maybe you should google it yourself and not trust any of the comments you read here.

Also, I’ve recently discovered that my Verizon branded LG VX8350 and previously my LG VX8100 (new every two!) has the ability to record a call, more specifically, it has the ability to record the person talking to me. It doesn’t record my voice talking to them. I guess that’s probably most useful for when my wife wants to give me a list of groceries or my inlaws are giving me directions to the family reunion over the phone. I just hit the sound record button that I normally use to leave GTD-like messages for myself.

20. Pfluffy says:

Let’s ask Linda Tripp. I’m sure SHE knows the rules by now.

21. Xerloq says:

@Ben Popken: You’re right. (it’s been a long day…) Silly me for missing that. Here’s the citation for those interested: 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2511(2)(d).

Here’s a good resource: FCC Facts on Recording Telephone Conversations. I was operating under the first (and most strict requirement) of two party verbal consent.

I’d still opt to be up-front. It’s best to assume that the harshest law will apply, so if you act as if the other party is in a two-party state and get consent, you’ll be fine. Besides, who knows where the company will bring suit.

22. Kidazy says:

It is a pretty neat service but I would definitely read up on your individual state’s laws just to be sure.

23. Wassupdoc says:

The other concern I have with this service is often times the people I need to record conversations with credit card companies, insurers, etc I have to reveal all my personal information like ss number, credit card details. I would be hesitant to leave that online where anyone with a bit of skill might have access to it. I think recording it locally sounds like the best solution.

24. aeronaut says:

I can’t see what’s wrong with recording calls for your own use.

If you intended to use the recording in a court case or to post on your website, then I can see there is an invasion of privacy. Recording for note taking purposes – what’s the issue?

25. Noremakk says:

You’re all good even if you record a call in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Montana, Michigan, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Nevada, Pennsylvania, or Washington, because you have no idea where the other end goes to. Even if it claims the HQ is in California, you’re probably getting some dude in India… <_<

Even if you’re not, you can still use it as a defense if you record a call and you live in one of those states.

26. courts1978 says:

Anyone ever think of a good free app to run on your local computer…some type of answering machine app or something? PS> I do work for a lawyer in a “one party state” and it has saved him multiple times from people trying to back out of verbal commitments. (He does not have any notification of recording on his answering system) I’m hoping this will do the same for my business.

27. mattplo says:

In this day and age I don’t understand why anyone would feel that their privacy is invaded if you do not tell them you are recording the call. Bare with me. I also don’t understand how any “privacy invasion” case could possibly hold up in court. As far as the bush administration is concerned you should *not* have the expectation of privacy when on the phone with another party. Why? Well according to the powers that be, you are using a third party company to enable the conversation for the two of you to talk. I.E. AT&T/Verizon/etc. So why would you expect privacy? Well, at least it works for the NSA/Bush administration. So why not us little people?

28. tjvigil66 says:

@ NORMAKK

It’s not a question of where the other party is. It is a question of where you are located. If you live in one of those states, you cannot legally record a call without the other party’s consent.

It would be interesting to know where RecordMyCalls is located. For all intent and purpose, aren’t they recording the call and providing the recording to me? Might this skirt the whole notification issue in the first place?

29. urbanride says:

It is legal in Canada. You can record any call as long as one of the participants is aware of it … you do not even need to inform the other party.

I’m not so sure about having my credit card number or account numbers or w/e uploaded as well… its pretty easy to record your own calls. My cell phone lets me do it internally; then i can just plug it into my pc and do w/e with it.

30. thunder7 says:

I have a much better one for everyone!.
    You need (2) things,…
    (1.) A “FREEWARE” program called ‘Veritape’ [www.freedownloadscenter.com]

(2.) And all you need is a Voice Modem.
    ————————————————————————–
    This how it works:

Record your phonecalls to hard disk – FREE! – all you need is a PC, a voice modem and Veritape. Just click Record and talk as normal. Store your important business negotiations, create a permanent record of your voicemail messages, tape family news so you can play it to others. No more struggling to remember what you were told (or what you said!) again. No more juggling the phone and your notebook. Veritape stores your calls digitally, with a description to allow you to find them again easily. Play back your calls at any time, or email them to a friend or colleague. Veritape is free for personal use and for companies using one copy only.
    —————————————————————————
    I have the very first program that came out.
    It is just awesome!. Caught more than a few of my friends & ex-’s lieing or cheeting on me.

Great when you are making those important calls where you have “know what exactly was said. And was not said!.

Aside from the Voice Modem.
    it’ is “Free”

>thunder7
    >[thunder7.info]

31. othium says:

@thunder7:

I went to that website and I believe it also works with VOIP systems from what I read on the FAQ, so you don’t really need to have a modem. (You do need a soundcard, though most newer computers have this already..)

32. Kevin Bourrillion says:

You know, this idea was very attractive at first, but now I think it’s an awful idea. Remember how steamed you were the last time you had to sit on hold for 20 minutes waiting to speak to someone? Now imagine if you also knew that every extra minute you sat on hold was costing you money? Man, I’d go nuts.

I’m going to continue to try to find a solution wherein I record the calls locally and keep my sensitive financial information safe and secure.

For the iPhone (which I use), iXtension is promising to support this, but their app has still not been released: [www.ixtension.com]

I don’t know how they will work that out since I was led to believe that the iPhone hardware/software simply wasn’t capable of this.