Return Of The Fake Million Dollar Bill

Another person has been caught trying to pass a fake (ahem, there are no real ones) million dollar bill. This time the idiot in question tried to pass the bill at a bank.

From (our favorite NBC affiliate) NBC Augusta:

The Aiken County Sheriff’s Office arrested an Augusta man who tried to open a bank account with a counterfeit $1,000,000 bill.

Alexander D. Smith is charged with disorderly conduct and forgery.

Investigators say Smith gave the counterfeit bill to a teller at Regions Bank in Clearwater, South Carolina. The employee refused to accept the bill and called the sheriff’s office.

Officers say Smith also purchased several cartons of cigarettes with a stolen check over the weekend.

These fake bills feature a picture of Grover Cleveland, who was once featured on the $1,000 bill. The largest bill currently in circulation is the $100.

Fake Million Dollar Bill Lands Man In Jail
[NBC Augusta]

PREVIOUSLY: Customer Asks Grocery Store Clerk For Change On A $1 Million Dollar Bill Then Freaks Out

Comments

1. Parting says:

I’d pay him one buck to keep it as a souvenir :)

2. Spifferiferfied says:

When I comes down to it, I think it’s actually smarter to try something like that at a bank. Not that that says much at all.

If he paid for his gas with is at the local Amoco, how would they be able to give him any change? With a bill that large you need to go some place with the proper funds.

But, it’s still dumb either way.

3. liquisoft says:

I don’t understand why they jump right for the non-existent $1million bill. I imagine that tellers know such a bill has never existed. The smarter thing to do would be to counterfeit those $1,000 bills…and just make 100,000 of them!

4. jwissick says:

@liquisoft: There are no $1000 bills in circulation. They have not been circulated since 69.

5. Mi1ez says:

“I’d buy that for a dollar!!” Or maybe I’d buy that fake money with a $2 bill. ;)

6. oneswellfoop says:

What are you talking about? Smarter to try this at a bank…. Not only are bank tellers trained to be able to identify visual and textural differences ebtween bills, they’re also informed about things like, say, the largest bills ever in circulation, what bills are still considered valid currency, and helpful info like that. Dumb doesn’t begin to describe trying to pull something like this off anywhere.

7. Xerloq says:

@liquisoft: Do you mean make 1,000 of them? Or are you trying to get $100,000,000? Seriously though, If you’re going to put that much time and energy into a fake, at least make a real looking one. You can always barter your fakes for goods and services. Google Ron Paul One Dollar Scam aka Liberty Dollars.

8. trollkiller says:

I think that once a bill is put into circulation it remains legal tender even after it is taken out of circulation.

9. As punishment, have him slap him self without holding back 1,000 times in consequence of each other for disgracing the likeness of the deceased $1,000 bill.

10. mobbo says:

Is it just me or does it look like the bank and/or teller tried to authenticate it by using a fraud pen? That brown marker line on the right looks like a counterfeit detecting pen mark. Did the teller really have to mark it up before going “Yup, it’s a fake.”?

11. humorbot says:

I believe-and this may be Wikipedia talking-that the thousand dollar bill was taken out of circulation to make toting large sums of cash less convenient. That is, now your briefcase of drug money is bigger and heavier…

12. Trai_Dep says:

Phew! I was getting worried after a similar thing happened in Pittsburg. Thanks, GA, for making the South rise (fall) again!

13. Rusted says:

Just a matter of time. It could cut down on the wheelbarrow loads needed to buy bread and gasoline in a few years.

14. HOP says:

i’m gonna hang omn mine as rusted says the bills will do away with the wheelbarrow

15. JustAGuy2 says:

The most counterfeited bill is the $20 – nobody gives them a second glance (unlike the $100), and they’re worth enough to make it worthwhile.

16. vladthepaler says:

How is this fogery? If there’s no such thing as a million dollar bill, you can’t make a fake one.

17. Beerad says:

@vladthepaler: Yes, you can. If I tape a cone to a horse’s head, I have made a fake unicorn, even though they don’t exist. Forgery involves creating fraudulent documents — it doesn’t have to be a reproduction of an existing document. If I make a nice pretty picture of my own design and sign it Van Gogh, it’s still a forgery (assuming I’m passing it off as made by the Van Gogh).

18. Nighthawke says:

There was a restaurant locally that had one idiot passed a $200 bill to them. Here’s the kicker, the clerk accepted the bill and gave him change for a $100.

19. nutrigm says:

DUMBO!

20. nutrigm says:

Sorry didn’t mean to offend the elephants in my previous post! :D

21. IndyJaws says:

@vladthepaler: I agree. I thought there was a case in the past where someone paid with a $3 bill (or maybe it was a million dollar bill) and no charges were pressed because A) there was no such bill or B) a reasonable person would know the bill was fake.

22. tdreyer1 says:

@those who thought he made this counterfeit:

He didn’t make this. This is a Christian ‘tract.’ It is a novel way for evangelical Christians to start a conversation with others. On the back is a religious message. No one in their right mind would mistake this for a fake, or try to use it as it’s printed on plain paper.