Asbestos Found In Several Products

Lead-tainted toys are old news! This Christmas, the new new thing is asbestos-tainted toys and other products. The CPSC doesn’t even test for asbestos, so it’s anyone’s guess what products might be hiding some away—or rather it used to be, until an independent consumer group ponied up the cash to pay for the testing.

The results cover a variety of products:

• CSI Fingerprint Examination Kit (asbestos in both the white and glowing powders)
  • Art Skills’ Clay Bucket
  • Three varieties of Ja-Ru Toy Clay
  • Scotch High Performance Duct Tape and its All Weather Duct Tape
  • DAP Crack Shot Spackling Paste and DAP’s 33 Window Glazing
  • Gardner Leak Stopper

According to the article, “Asbestos also was also found in hair rollers, hot plates and small appliances imported from China and sold in major drug store chains. The organization may do additional testing on those products and others.”

It might be harder to blame a single nation this time around, since the products are manufactured in various countries including China, Canada, and Thailand.

Of the companies that responded to the reporter’s calls, CBS—which licenses the CSI toy—has said they’ll pursue independent tests for asbestos, and will have it removed from the market if it proves true. The Art Skills people contend that they produce “a safe and hazard-free product” which meets all current US safety standards. 3M flat out says “we don’t use asbestos” in their products, as does DAP.

The group behind the tests was formed in 2004 largely by victims of asbestos-caused diseases and their families; they spent over $165,000 to fund the testing of hundreds of products over the last 18 months, partly in response to the lack of action on the government’s part.

“Asbestos turns up in toys, children’s clay” [Seattle PI]

RELATED
“Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization”

Comments

1. smitty1123 says:

Dammit. Kids nowadays get all the cool stuff. Lead this, asbestos that, mechanical masturbating action whatever. All I got growing up was a gun and a case of scurvy.

2. Skiffer says:

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Not the Duct Tape!!!!

Oh, the humanity!!!

3. catnapped says:

Anyone else eagerly awaiting the stuff with arsenic and melamine in it?

(I’m getting hungry thinking about it!)

4. Crymson_77 says:

personally, I am waiting for them to start complaining about citric acid and to continue complaining about dihydrogen monoxide…

5. Quellman says:

I wish they’d start selling drops of mercury. That was always safe, or so my 6 fingered father says… ;)

6. smitty1123 says:

@Crymson_77: Fact: Dihydrogen Monoxide kills more people a year than AIDS.

7. ShadowFalls says:

OMG, the clay is the worst. Kids are more likely to go and put that stuff in their mouth than anything else listed there. That stuff is supposed to be non-toxic for that reason.

8. goller321 says:

@ShadowFalls: That and next is the duct tape. Duct tape becomes brittle over time and when you take it off, the particles become airborne…

9. goller321 says:

@smitty1123: “Dihydrogen….” Monoxide”Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, [b]a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters.[/b]

From- [www.dhmo.org]

10. goller321 says:

And people wonder why cancer rates are up, autism rates are up and why our kids can’t focus in schools. Wake up and smell the coffee you idiots.

11. mrtoog says:

Asbestos is only dangerous when airborne so the clay, duct tape, liquid spackle, etc shouldn’t be much of a risk.
    Now the csi fingerprint powder is another story.

12. TechnoDestructo says:

@Skiffer:

Way to go, Tom Ridge. I sure do feel safer with all this duct tape!

@goller321:

No no…you don’t want to go smelling coffee. Never know what disease you could get from that.

13. Chicago Jones says:

I like coffee.

14. uricmu says:

This might be a dumb questions, but how would the asbestos fibers get released from those products?

15. JackHandey says:

I can’t believe how much people over-react to asbestos/lead. Sure, they shouldn’t be in kids’ products, but…

Asbestos isn’t really a problem unless it is airborne or ingested (i.e. don’t disturb the stuff or breathe in the dust, and you’ll be OK.) So the DAP spackling paste is less of an issue than the “CIS Fingerprint Examination Kit.” **

Our parents’ generation grew up casting toy soldiers out of solid lead, insulating with asbestos products, and playing with mercury from broken thermometers. And they are generally fine. It is all about exposure levels.

If people are so worried about lung cancer, why not ban cigarettes or make it illegal to expose children to second hand smoke? The last time I checked, tobacco kills quite a few people each year.

**Has anyone looked into the “glowing powder” aspect of the fingerprint examination kit?

16. LittleBlackFly says:

@ShadowFalls: Eating asbestos isn’t a problem. It’s inhaling it that causes lung cancer. I’d be much more worried about the fingerprinting set with the dust.

I suppose the clay might also be a problem it you sand it after it dries.

17. parad0x360 says:

So kids can play with date rape drugs, lead and asbestos but I cant smoke in a bar…wtf?!

18. ShadowFalls says:

@Klassy:

Once it gets in your mouth it starts to break down and can be breathed into your lungs. Kids don’t generally swallow everything remember.

All these toys recalls and some people get upset when parents let their kids just watch tv…

19. goller321 says:

@JackHandey: uhhh… Dap spackling compound… do you know what that stuff is? You use it to patch holes in walls, you then SAND it which turns it into a breathable dust…

I can’t believe how under-educated the American population is… must be all that lead you’re ingesting.

As for the lead and asbestos back in the day… tell that to the people with lung cancer caused by asbestos.

And I’d have ZERO problem banning smoking all together- big tobacco and southern states have too much pull in Washington for that though…

20. trollkiller says:

I think I am just going to get the kids rocks and sticks.

21. Major-General says:

@TechnoDestructo: You’re missing the bigger picture: fireproof duct tape. See, someone was thinking when they came up with this stuff.

22. JackHandey says:

@goller321: Oh crap! You totally caught me on this! Yeah, I have used spackling compound to repair drywall many times, so I do know what it is. For some reason I was thinking of DAP caulk which would not be sanded. Agreed, sanding spackling compound with asbestos would be bad.

I am aware that a lot of people got lung cancer especially those involved directly in manufacture or installation of asbestos products. Recently I read an article about a western town with an asbestos mine/factory where a lot of the workers and families got lung cancer.

23. JackHandey says:

@trollkiller:”I think I am just going to get the kids rocks and sticks.”

Agreed. Cheaper, and it forces them to use their imagination.

Just make sure the rocks don’t have asbestos in them… ;) (Do a google search for “asbestos in rocks”. It is interesting how much of the stuff is in the natural environment in some places.)

24. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

Asbestos isnt as dangerous as your freaks might think. It takes several years on inhalation to be harmful.

25. Topcat says:

@MyCokesBiggerThanYours: Exactly. Asbestosis has affected pretty much only the people mining the stuff. There’s a pretty significant amount of asbestos particles in air, to boot.

@JackHandey: Umm, asbestos comes from rocks. Specifically, the serpentine mineral group: antigorite, lizardite and chrysotile. Of those three, only chrysotile asbestos is really harmful. There’s another one called crocidolite (an amphibole group mineral), and that’s harmful too.

26. JackHandey says:

@Topcat: “Umm, asbestos comes from rocks.”
    That was my point…
    …which is why I said to do a google search for asbestos in rocks, which should turn up info on how it is mined, places in California that have issues with high asbestos levels in the air due to natural rock formations, levels of asbestos in drinking water due to surface rock erosion, etc.

I found this one particularly interesting:
    [www.osp.state.nc.us]

27. FLConsumer says:

I don’t see the problem with asbestos in toys. GHB, absolutely. Lead, maybe.

I think I was one of the last generations who grew up playing with mercury, rode bikes without helmets, remembers when people smoked in bars and I think I even saw Sesame Street before they introduced that annoying Elmo character. Even remember seeing real, live asbestos. Sure, I have a sick sense of humour, but I doubt it’s caused by the environmental factors I’ve been exposed to. That said, I avoid chlorine/chloramines as much as possible, same with the synthetic food additives, and hormone-laced food. There’ll always be exposure to toxic substances. The trick is how much is safe. Even good ‘ol dihydride monooxide is lethal in high quantities, higher/lower depending on how it enters the human body. At the same time, it is essential for life.

Two things which do scare me: 1) Practically every American has measurable levels of teflon in their bodies, 2) Measurable levels of prescription drugs have been found in fish.

28. FLConsumer says:

oh, on the GHB comment… finding GHB in CHILDREN’S toys is problematic… in adult toys…well… 2 consenting adults…. that’s a different story.

29. goller321 says:

@JackHandey: Yeah, I’ve been there done that with mixin’ stuff up… :)
    I knew a guy that had Asbestosis… it’s a nasty disease. He couldn’t walk more than 100 feet without getting completely winded. Meanwhile a friend of mine that is a contractor will pull asbestos out without so much as a mask on. I worked with him on a job where he did that, and I was in disbelief.

FLCONSUMER… as was earlier mentioned, children (who are much more susceptible to toxic chemicals) will breath this stuff in or ingest it. It takes decades for the stuff to do its dirty work- it never comes out. As for lead… go to the inner cities and just look at the detrimental effect of lead on kids. The stuff drops IQs and brings with it a whole host of other issues. I realize we have gotten a bit over protective, but this stuff is just common sense.

30. Crazytree says:

you’re surrounded by asbestos if you work in an office building built between 1930 and 1975.

it’s 100% safe to eat, it’s nonreactive and it is totally safe… as long as you don’t breath it into your lungs over a long period of exposure. this will result in mesothelioma… but if its contained in a solid paint, the likelihood of it becoming airborne is nil… and the likely harm from such a limited exposure is almost nil.

lead causes harm through oral consumption, asbestos does not… in fact it causes no chemical harm… it’s these little microscopic fibers that get stuck in the tiny airways in your lungs, cause inflammation and then mesothelioma.

the more you know….

31. Rebeckola says:

Damn! I have the CSI fingerprint kit hiding in my attic right now for Christmas for my 7 year old son. Back to the toy store for me. I’m all for the “blessings of a skinned knee” parenting, but I’m not going to pay for the opportunity to deliberatly expose my child to a lung damaging material in POWDER form!

32. goller321 says:

@Crazytree: It has not been determined to be safe to eat. Quote- “Some groups of people who have been exposed to asbestos fibers in their drinking water have higher-than-average death rates from cancer of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. However, it is very difficult to tell whether this is caused by asbestos or by something else.” on the EPA website.

As for us being surrounded, you may be right, but that is undisturbed asbestos. The products are readily available for both possible consumption and inhalation…

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing…

33. goller321 says:

You’re wrong on the 100% safe statement. Quote- “Some groups of people who have been exposed to asbestos fibers in their drinking water have higher-than-average death rates from cancer of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. However, it is very difficult to tell whether this is caused by asbestos or by something else.” from the EPA website

As for the stuff in buildings, it is only safe because it is undisturbed. If you have it removed,there are huge actions required to minimize possible inhalation. As for the paint, much like lead, as the paint ages and flakes off, there are plenty of opportunities to inhale the stuff. If there is asbestos in floor products, it is recommended you lay a subfloor over it rather than tear it up and kick up the small particles…

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing…

34. Abor33 says:

Give me a break, asbestos is still completely legal in the United States even though it was once banned. But the percieved “usefullness” of asbestos overrode its percieved dangers and it was continued to be used. Did you know over 16,000 chemicals dating back to the late 50’s are still in use today? None of them have ever been tested and chemical manufacturers continue to use them instead of developing safer and cleaner alternatives. Chalk one up to the U.S government.

Go look up REACH in the E.U and realize the U.S is a hyprocrite when it lashes out at China for having products tainted with toxic chemicals. A lot of the materials used and exported out the U.S are tained with outdated chemicals too.

Now you know…