The IRS Has $110 Million In Refund Checks For You

If you’ve moved recently and did not get your refund check, you might want to contact the IRS and see if it was returned as undeliverable.

The IRS currently has $110 million dollars in checks just sitting around gathering dust, waiting for their lost owners to come collect them.

From IRS.gov:

“Taxpayers should not miss out on getting their money back,” said Richard Morgante, commissioner of the IRS Wage and Investment Division. “The IRS makes it as easy as possible for taxpayers to update their addresses and claim their refunds.”

The ” Where’s My Refund?” tool on IRS.gov enables taxpayers to check the status of their refunds. A taxpayer must submit his or her social security number, filing status and amount of refund shown on their 2006 return. The tool will provide the status of their refund and in some cases provide instructions on how to resolve delivery problems.

Taxpayers can access a telephone version of “Where’s My Refund?” by calling 1-800-829-1954.

Don’t let that money go to waste! At the very least you could claim it and use it to buy, like, Consumerist T-shirts or something. Soap. Beach balls. Anything.

IRS Has $110 Million in Refund Checks Looking for a Home [IRS]

Comments

1. kenposan says:

Or just donate it to me. I promise it will go to good use. :-)

2. Rupan says:

Thats what electronic deposit is for. Use it people.

3. Alvis says:

Well THAT’S just not true.

If it was as “easy as possible”, it’d work just on my SS#. I don’t know offhand what I should have received from them, but I’d sure as hell like to check if they owe me anything.

4. BigNutty says:

Many people forgot to claim the telephone tax rebate which is $60 for a couple. The IRS is holding that money too for you to file an amended return which is easy to do.

5. savvy999 says:

Or, when you move, you need to notify the IRS using this form: [www.irs.gov]

While it’s so romantic to think about magically getting ‘off the grid’, in the end it’s just easier to tell the man where you’re at.

6. synergy says:

Did Meghann just call us dirty? Is she trying to tell us something with the soap remark?? ;)

7. theblackdog says:

Kind of hard to have your refund not show up when you have it direct deposited.