Shopping Tip: 100 Notable Books

The New York Times has released its list of the 100 Notable Books of 2007, so if you’re shopping for bookworms… you get the idea.

We’ve only read 4 of the included titles (Hey, we mostly shop at used book stores!), and, since the non-fiction title How to Talk About Books You Haven’t Read by Pierre Bayard is not among them, we’ll just shut up.

100 Notable Books of 2007 [NYT via Kottke]
(Illustration:Greg Clarke)

Comments

1. youwantedahero says:

um, “How to Talk About Books You Haven’t Read” IS on the list… or did I just read this article wrong?

2. mk says:

no, he’s saying he hasn’t read “how to talk about books…” so he can’t talk about those other ones

3. mk says:

sorry, she hasn’t read

4. DudeLebowski says:

Actually, “How to Talk About Books You Haven’t Read” is on the first page of that list.

5. DudeLebowski says:

Of course, “How to Write About Lists You Glanced At” is not on the list.

6. mexifelio says:

Move over CliffsNotes!

7. Meg Marco says:

@DudeLebowski: @youwantedahero: Yes. You read the article wrong.

8. smitty1123 says:

Sadly, I’m interested in this list, but not interested enough to fill out a registration form. Besides, I seriously doubt that they would have the balls to put Crooked Little Vein on the list, so screw them and their intent to censor Godzilla Bukkake from the world!

9. 3drage says:

They meant to say “We’ve only read 4 of the included titles (Hey, we mostly shop at used book stores!), and, since the non-fiction title “How to Talk About Books You Haven’t Read” by Pierre Bayard is not among one of the four we’ve read, we’ll just shut up.

10. efbegranny says:

The only one I read is Harry Potter: I drag feet if somebody says I ought to read… Probably goes back to elementary school

11. pyloff says:

chuckle

12. EtherealStrife says:

SciFi/Fantasy is underrepresented. Rowling and something about a chick in space? Next.

@smitty1123: [www.bugmenot.com]

13. How Doctors Think is really good-a lot of insight into why doctors make the decisions they do, and how to keep yourself from becoming a bad decision. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was a surprisingly great ending to the series.

Service Included was a disappointing read–I was hoping for a lot more dish about the restaurant industry. The book ended up being mostly about the author’s love affairs, rather than about the restaurant she worked at, Per Se, a Thomas Keller-run establishment in Manhattan.

Am I a heathen that I’ve only read three books on this list???

14. kimsama says:

@Serenefengshui: Nah, you probably read the best ones on there anyway. I read 8 of them, and I liked HP, How Doctors Think, and After Dark the best. The rest I wouldn’t recommend.

15. smitty1123 says:

@EtherealStrife: Hey, that’s pretty spiffy! Thanks.

/and boy oh boy, the NYTimes sure does enjoy their collected poetry…

16. bearymore says:

Two excellent books that everyone should read:

THE YEARS OF EXTERMINATION: Nazi Germany and the Jews, 1939-1945

ARSENALS OF FOLLY: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race.

The Years of Extermination is the second volume of Saul Friedlander’s Nazi Germany and the Jews. These books are the definitive history of the era and a moving read.

Arsenals of Folly is the third in Richard Reeve’s history of nuclear weapons. The first two volumes — The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun, about the H-Bomb, are absolute must reads and will keep you up nights until you finish them. Arsenals of Folly is primarily about the end of the cold war. Interesting fact: Richard Perle (yes, that Richard Perle of Iraq fame) personally sandbagged the Reyjkavik talks between Reagan and Gorbachev.