Shady Magazine Seller Ordered To Pay Over $7 Million

Kevin Trudeau isn’t the only one writhing in the icy grip of justice this week—one-time magazine subscription entrepreneur Richard L. Prochnow was ordered to pay over $7 million a few weeks ago when the U.S. Court of Appeals upheld a judgment from July of 2006. Prochnow ran Direct Sales International (DSI), a bad magazine company that lied to customers and trapped them in a “buying club” that charged monthly fees and was very difficult to cancel.

DSI… either directly or through its dealers failed to disclose or misled consumers about the cost of magazine packages and individual magazines, and made weekly cost representations even though consumers could not make weekly payments for the packages.

[It also failed to] tell consumers that their credit cards would be billed for membership in a buying club unless they called within 30 days to cancel, and its failure to provide consumers with information that would enable them to cancel.

“Court Affirms Ruling: Magazine Seller Will Pay More Than $7 Million” [Federal Trade Commission]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. Snarkysnake says:

This sorry outfit used to call me daily (and I mean daily) because I have 3 lines that roll over to my cell.I used to delight in keeping their rep on the line as long as possible by pretending to have a bad connection, asking to hear their selection,feigning another call,baby crying…Whatever. I could tell from the first call that they were a scam (What magazine bills WEEKLY ?) anyway.I figure that I wasted a LOT of their phone reps time (and mine) that they could use to call and scam each of you. Therefor,each of you owes me a quarter.

2. BuddyHinton says:

@Snarkysnake: Give us your paypal so we can send you the money ;P.

3. TMurphy says:

Lets just hope this guy won’t have millions left after this.

4. BlackBirdTA says:

I hate these things!!! I get calls all the time on these. “…The magazines are paid for by the advertisers, and we only ask that you pay for the shipping and pass them on to a friend when you’re done with them.” If you do the math, you’ll realize that the “shipping” costs more than if you just subscribed to these things directly.

5. MoogleLally says:

Speaking of shady magazine places… does anyone know about WholesaleSubscriptions.com? I ordered from there 6 months ago and never got my magazines OR a reply from customer service.

6. CrazyRedd says:

Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could somehow pass these ‘savings’ onto Kevin Trudeau? Ain’t no justice like DOUBLE JUSTICE.

7. supermanmjm says:

What about http://www.magazinesforless.com ? I’ve been waiting over a year. Got an email four months ago promising the magazine in 4-8 weeks. Still nothing. Should have went to http://www.couldcareless.com

8. mac-phisto says:

what am i gonna do with 40 subscriptions to vibe?