Beware! Apple Stores Have Mysterious Tractor Beams

Your local Apple Store is home to a mysterious tractor beam that pulls in unwitting shoppers who venture less than 25 feet from its storefront, says Apple Insider. An anylst from Piper Jaffray spent 6 hours monitoring traffic in front of various Apple Stores and found that shoppers were inexplicably drawn to the big glowing Apple.

Specifically, analyst Gene Munster and his team found that 27 percent of people walking within 25-feet of an Apple store entrance wound up entering the store. Once in the stores, however, only a fraction of those shoppers actually purchased anything. But Munster in a note to clients early Monday morning said he believes the draw may be indicative of consumers’ future purchase decisions.

“The important point is this gravitational pull highlights that consumers’ future buying intentions could be shifting to Apple from PCs,” he explained. “If materialized, this shift should benefit Apple in 2008 and 2009.”

We don’t find this too surprising. Who wouldn’t want to mess around in the Apple Store without buying anything? It looks pretty fun in there.

Apple stores having ‘gravitational pull’ on mall shoppers – report [Apple Insider via Wired]
(Photo:mattloveskicks)

Comments

1. RvLeshrac says:

I feel a gravitational pull every time I pass an Apple store.

A trip to the bathroom, and everything is fine.

2. I usually get pulled into the Apple store whenever I walk by one. It’s usually packed, and I never buy anything. Don’t plan on buying anything there in the future either.

But if this study holds true, that should help the ole stock price…

3. LetMeGetTheManager says:

It’s almost like they have “Cinnamon Roll” incense.

4. mexifelio says:

They have apple nerd pheromone dispensers hidden around the storefront.

5. gruffydd says:
  6. This is a extension and localized focalization of Steve Job’s Reality Distortion Field.

7. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

The only time I went into an Apple store I accidentally walked behind the sales desk and was reprimanded by one of the drones working there. I was so confused by the store setup. Maybe it was because of the mysterious apple beam.

8. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

I call it “the Sharper Image Syndrome”

9. dix99 says:

My 4 year old Son loves it in their. If we’re at the mall, we have to stop in.

“There’s nothing like a Mac, that works hard for you, than a PC, that YOU have to work hard for”

10. UpsetPanda says:

It’s true…every time I pass by the store, I have the urge to go in. I never buy anything though, because I can usually buy it online, and aside from their electronics and laptops, most of the stores have precious little in the way of accessories, which is the only thing that I would be looking to buy from the store.

11. smitty1123 says:

I too love going into the Apple store. Then I go and grab some Starbucks and it’s off to either the Gap or Old Navy. If I’m feeling adventurous, I take in a Ron Howard movie (preferably one starring Tom Hanks). Then I go home and play with my Wii all night long.

12. BigNutty says:

Store Psychology Setup in Progress.

13. cbartlett says:

I had been going into the Apple store for month before I finally bought an iPod. Then I switched to Mac, switched my whole office to Mac, and now I’m switching my entire family to Mac.

14. HrPingui says:

Another exciting physics discovery is demonstrated by apples! Where would we be without this physic changing fruit?

15. Landru says:

Resistance really is futile.

16. velvetjones says:

I worked with Gene a long time ago….

[fakegene.blogspot.com]

17. Yankees368 says:

I know that at my local mall, the glowing apple can be seen through the entire corridor of that part of the mall. It is at the end of the hallway, just sitting there…glowing

18. Munsoned says:

I’m in the 73% group. I must walk by an Apple store in my mall once every month or so, but have never been in.

19. Munsoned says:

Oh, I forgot, I once took a holistic anti-Apple vaccine. That must be it…

20. Zombietime says:

I go in there to go on the internet while my wife is shopping around. It kills time and uses Apple’s resources.

21. Buran says:

People Attracted By Big Shinies. Film At Eleven.

22. GearheadGeek says:

Oh, they’re in malls? THAT’S why I never see Apple Stores.

23. cde says:

@GearheadGeek: Cause Apples need Trees (At the Oak Tree Mall :P

24. iEddie says:

My local Apple Store is in the upscale mall which I do not frequent – only when I want to go to the Apple Store. But if it were in the regular mall then I’d be in there quite a bit!

25. mandarin says:

Piper Jaffray analysts are idiots….

26. SoCalGNX says:

If you don an attractive aluminum hat, you won’t have to worry.

27. rachaeljean says:

I love how defensive people are about apple consumers, ha.

28. TomK says:

Steve Jobs has gotten better at his magic lately. He was slayed by the evil one from Pepsi, but, like Jesus before him, returned even more badass than before. He always had the reality distortion field, but now he can maintain it at a distance in Sacred Sites that vibrate at his level, drawing people in. He put a drop in each iPhone, which is more badass than any crystal ball or Mary in a Tortilla Relic. He is going to slay the music and telephone behemoths ushering in a Golden Age of musicians selling direct and no goddamn commercials on your tv shows that you watch wherever you want. Your diseases will be cured by scientists doing work on his machines, freeing you to spend your lengthened life creating art on his machines, while his robot droids handle the mundane work and Al Gore’s Head in a Jar ensures everything is sustainable until eternity.

All hail the great one and be thankful for all he has done for us.
    All hail the great one and behold the dawn of a new age.
    All hail the new flesh.

29. HRHKingFriday says:

Actually, I just go in there to look up something on a map, or to check my email (bad, I know). Or to kill time while waiting on a friend to show up at the mall.

If anyone else does that, try using the computers at the front of the store. When you go to one near the registers, you’ll get hit by several sales associates.

30. ThEjOkErIsWiLd says:

@TomK: videodrome referemce FTW! awesome movie :D

31. overbysara says:

@smitty1123: LOL

32. RISwampyankee says:

Welcome to the church of Mac where everyday is Sunday.

33. alfista says:

They should also compare the expressions on the faces or blood pressure of the people in the store versus those in the computer section of BB or CC.

34. Catperson says:

So how does this differ from traffic at any other store in the mall? Especially stores that sell similar items?

35. rockergal says:

I never even seen an apple store. I think the nearest one is a good 3-4hr drive.
    I would go in just to check it out and laugh at the people paying for an overpriced mp3 player

36. Rupan says:

It’s called good marketing. Nothing more, nothing less. Apple knows how to sell a product.

I had a Macbook once and it was ok. Typing this post on a Windows box though. Despite what Apple people say there were things that my new laptop could do that the vaunted Mac couldn’t. Was it a good PC? Yes. Did it fit my needs? No. Simple as that.

37. Coder4Life says:

@rockergal: Uh their mp3 players are not really overpriced. Have you done any research on trying to find a player that is similar to the NANO or 80gb IPOD. that is as sleek looking, with good software, and actually offers a real warranty rather than something that is a fake from china… Actually when most people walk into a computer store and ask for mp3 players they will end up going with an IPOD b/ of the featuers and prices are so close if not cheaper than other players… Best Bank for your Buck..

38. shoegazer says:

a) Free wifi and internet access
    b) The chance to be surrounded by well designed products and pretend you can afford them
    c) NOT BEING HASSLED by overeager sales personnel

Winning formula!

39. Chairman-Meow says:

I for one will be welcoming our new Apple Overlords after they finish stealing the minds of our mall zombies.

40. I love the kids’ section Apple stores have. The low-slung chairs, the kids’ games – if I were a parent trying to teach my kids about computers, it’d be a fun field trip. I haven’t seen a kids-focused play area at a computer store ever.

Apple gets them while they’re young :-)

41. kc-guy says:

@ceejeemcbeegee:
    Amen to the Sharper Image Syndrome. I’ve never purchased anything from either store, but I’ll sit in the chairs all day long.

42. iamlost26 says:

Yeah, I visited Apple every single day when I was new in town and didn’t have internet yet.

I go to the Apple store every time I go to the mall. Still don’t buy anything.

43. RvLeshrac says:

@Coder4Life:

Except for the 2gb and 4gb iPods, which are two to three times as expensive.

The only ‘features’ the iPod has over other MP3 players (not counting the iPod Touch) are DRM’d music from iTunes and the click wheel (which I can’t stand).

44. britneyspearstears says:

@smitty1123: Nailed it!

45. baceman007 says:

Well I hope this helps some people resist the tractor beam of instant coolness that seems to pull people into Apple. Apple has a habit of keeping secrets, but in the example below they actually seem to have bullied employees into censoring private, probably usually used off of work time, e-mail lists.
    baceman007.blogspot.com
    The title of the post is iFascist. This is also on digg.
    So yeah they’re not really that cool after all.