The 10 Most-Hated Money Saving Tips

Like saving money? So does blogger Free Money Finance. But he says not all money saving ideas are well-received. In fact, some are downright hated. Here is FMF’s list of what he believes to be the 10 most-hated money saving tips:

10. Be healthy
9. Move to a foreign country (or even visit for health care)
8. Quit smoking
7. Buy used
6. Buy a house you can afford
5. Cut your cable
4. Take your lunch to work
3. Limit small spending
2. Don’t buy a pet
1. Move to a lower cost-of-living city

Oh no, you mean I might have to change my life if I want to cut spending?! Yep, there’s a lot to dislike here. Then again, if you really need some extra money, many of these ideas can offer significant savings. Follow the link to see FMF’s rationale for each tip.

The 10 Most-Hated Money Saving Tips [Free Money Finance]

Comments

1. bohemian says:

#1 isn’t a bad idea. We started looking and the cost of living in some major cities is actually lower than the hell hole we are currently stuck in.

#6 runs into a problem for many people. Finding somewhere where you won’t get shot and finding a house that isn’t a terminal money pit many times mean your going to have to shell out more cash.

2. kris in seattle says:

I’m living with a roommate in a rent house that costs us $500/mo (total) and we have no cable, no internet and we manage just fine. For entertainment we uy tv series on DVD which I actually prefer because then I don’t have to deal with stupid commercials AND I don’t have to mess with a cable bill every month. :)

3. inelegy says:

Interesting. I imagine quite a few of these suggestions would also apply to a list of most-hated ways to lose weight.

You mean I must make sacrifices in order to change my life? Puh-leez!

(BTW, they forgot “Get rid of your cell phone and instead use a land line.” I pay less than $20 a month for my land line and am somehow managing to lead a successful life. Suck it, cell-tards!)

4. HRHKingFriday says:

@wannabejew: I replaced my cable with Netflix subscriptions. I ask for gift subscriptions for my birthday and x-mas to even further offset the costs. Sure, remembering to mail things back everyday is a pain, and the bill is as high as basic cable. But, I’m just glad the cable companies aren’t making a profit off of me.

5. iluvhatemail says:

i’ve always found moving to be one of the quickest ways to diminish your savings. I think that point should be directly tied to finding a higher paying job.

6. sophistiKate says:

Yup, these sound familiar and reasonable. Except… “Don’t buy a pet”? Really? If that’s a reasonable suggestion, why not “Don’t Date” or “Don’t Have Children”? Those are great money-savers! Yes, I would argue that children and romantic partners are more important than pets, but aren’t relationships with pets a smaller version of relationships with humans? I mean, what am I saving money for if not the rewards of love, companionship, and friendship, both with people and animals?

7. satoru says:

I went through the list and half way through I almost spit out my tea

6. Buy a house you can afford — This one used to get a lot more heat than it does now.

This just strikes me as well…. DUH?! I mean there’s some semblance of logic in say purchasing some gigantic HDTV in that it might only take a few months/years to pay it off if you can’t afford it (I say ‘some semblance of logic’ very loosely though). But how do you justify something you have to make payments over literally decades and not plan how to afford it?

I wonder sometimes if this kind of thinking is because the smart train is really small, or is it more that the stupid train comes more often :P

8. Lewis says:

Bringing lunch from home saves this family of two in NY an average of $400 a month.

And we are able to eat healthy, too, for a lot less money.

My biggest remaining daily “outside” expense is bottled water for during the work day… I’ve been able to get down to an effective cost-per-bottle of $0.178 for Poland Spring half-liter bottles when purchased as a 28-pack on sale at Duane Reade for $4.99 before tax. Even when not on sale I think their regular price is about $6 per 28-pack — a dramatic difference versus the $1 – $1.50 most delis charge for half-liter bottles of water, especially considering I drink nearly a gallon of water a day.

9. satoru says:

@sophistikate: I think the “Don’t buy a pet” is more geared to the ‘pet fad’ crowd than anything. It’s not that there isn’t some kind of benefit to having pets that are intangible (love, companionship, etc). I think it’s more that too many people today consider pets as ‘accessories’ and not as actual living creatures. I mean do your kids actually NEED a pet?

And pets can be a cost drain on you. So the question I think is better phrased as “Can you afford a pet” but that’s not nearly as dramatic :P

10. MeOhMy says:

With the US dollar being so weak these days, moving to another country might not be that great anymore since Canada and the EU are pretty much a no-go.

They should add “Quit Drinking” alongside “Quit Smoking.” I know people that routinely drop $50+ at the bar every week!

In high school I worked with a guy who was pretty much chronicly impoverished. Sure, we were working a low-pay industrial job, but this dude was always complaining to me about never having enough money. He’d come in and say “Man, I spent $80 at the bar last night!” and then an hour later complain that he only had $5 and would have to either buy lunch of cigs.

I wouldn’t expect him to take serious financial advice from some punk kid, but a few times I pointed out to him that if he stopped smoking, drinking and ordering lunch out he’d probably save close to $500 a month!

11. kimsama says:

@Troy F.: There’s lots of other countries besides the EU and Canada. There are countries in SE Asia where crime is low and the living is cheap. Even if you go to a fancy international hospital there, it’s not ridiculous (I say from personal experience — my intestines destroyed themselves on a trip there once, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hospitals).

12. SavageATL says:

How about die? I’ll wager that would save a lot of money.

Seriously- if you’re being healthy in order to save $ that’s probably not the best motivation.

Moving to a foreign country is not the best option for people who have to do things, like, you know, WORK. Even for retirees- many of them have to care for elderly parents. You can weigh the savings against being separated from family and friends as well. Not-really-a-sensible-option.

You can save money by not smoking but you can save money lots of other ways too, don’t buy bottled water, you get perfectly good water out of the tap here- don’t go to movies, etc.

Buy used makes some sense but you can’t (or shouldn’t) buy used food. Makes sense to buy used clothing but men tend not to give away/sell clothing unless it’s absolutely had it which is impractical for career people to show up for an interview in a vintage 1985 suit.

Don’t buy a pet- again, back to the I’d bet you’d save a lot of money if you were dead.

There are plenty of places in the country which may be lower cost of living but again I need to WORK, that whole career thing- and need to be around my friends and family, and I am sure there are rust-belt crime-ridden towns which are very low cost of living but there again you’d save a lot of money if you were dead.

13. swalve says:

@sophistikate: Buy all the pets you want- but then you can’t complain when you are short on cash.

These are money-saving tips, not fulfilled life tips.

(Also, you might want to get help if you need to have pets and children around to be fulfilled…)

14. cabinaero says:

@LewisNYC: Why are you buying bottled water? NYC has some of the best municipal water on the planet, probably equal to if not superior to bottled waters.

15. Womblebug says:

@swalve: While not everyone needs kids or pets to be fulfilled, I don’t think someone who wants them in their life as a part of being happy needs therapy. =P

Expensive pet choice: Buy a pet from a breeder or puppy mill pet store.
    Frugal choice: Adopt a pet from a rescue group or animal shelter.
    Cheapest choice: Foster a pet for a rescue group until it can be adopted. The group handles all the vet bills and will sometimes provide food. You don’t get to keep the animal, but you get companionship and the knowledge you’re doing a great thing.
    Most expensive, stupid and cruel choice: Rent a dog by the day. I still can’t get over that.

16. anatak says:

Yes, God forbid you cut your lifestyle to get out of a financial pinch. I’d argue that most money savings ideas are not well received. How about ‘Make a budget and stick to it’ or ‘Stop hemerraging cash’ or ‘Buy a car you can afford’ or ‘Define what you can afford based on reality’.

It all really comes down to cutting the cushy, yet expensive lifestyle you’ve become accustomed to. People are always reluctant to do that and usually because they think that cheaper = less favorable. House, car and food and other things people “deserve” usually strike a nerve.

17. swalve says:

@womblebug: I think the problem isn’t the initial cost of the dog, but the upkeep. Shots, deworming, food, damage to your home, etc.

18. 9, 1: I can understand not wanting to move especially if for 9 we’re talking about a country where English isn’t the official (or even regularly used) language. You also have to find a new job. Searching for a job sucks.

10, 8: Well nicotine is addictive so obviously quitting is going to be hard and therefore people hate doing it. Getting yourself healthy can be equally hard (depending on what’s wrong with you). They both could also require more money to be spent to accomplish. People don’t like spending money to save money. People also don’t like going to the doctor.

7: …and watch it fall apart in 3 months. At least that’s what the people who hate this idea are thinking.

2: Misleading. It isn’t really “don’t buy a pet” it’s “get rid of the pet you have”. Lots of pet owners feel like their pets are like children.

19. timmus says:

From what I’ve seen, the people who get into trouble are the ones who buy one pet, then another, then another, then another, and end up having a zoo. That costs money.

20. aikoto says:

Realistically, the number one thing he missed was “monthlies”. Cable is one of them, but cell phones, movies by mail, magazine subscriptions, and freaking On-Star, are examples of others that should probably be cut from your life (or at least carefully evaluated).

I have one cell-phone (prepaid) which I spend about 25 dollars every three months for. I have no cable or TV service other than what the rabbit ears give. Even then, I don’t waste time with TV. Shows I want to watch come out on DVD eventually.

21. rachaeljean says:

@LewisNYC:
    Can you get a Brita or Pur and bring water from home in a Nalgene or something similar?? Even if you only pay $0.17 per bottle, you’d probably only pay about a tenth of that for water from home.

22. Dagamon says:

Don’t have kids. They are way more expensive than pets in terms of food, clothing, school, etc. And if you have kids, get rid of them. Any list like this is seriously over simple and is therefor pretty much useless.

23. AnnC says:

Has nobody read the headline? It’s 10 most HATED money saving tips. Of course, nobody here likes them; they’re the most hated tips!

24. bohemian says:

How we went about trying to find somewhere cheaper and better to live was to make a list of places we had a desire to possibly move to due to the factors were looking for. Then we used the cost of living calculator at Salary.com to see if we might potentially take a hit or add more disposable income. Forbes also keeps decent lists of cost of living by city. We found that all but two of the places we were thinking of would gain us money and most of them had booming job markets compared to where we are now.
    Then comes the hard part, saving up enough to move and waiting for the housing market to figure itself out before we try to sell.

25. Charles Duffy says:

@Dagamon: I’m with you on that, but the wife disagrees. Come to think of it, though, she’s pretty expensive too…

26. dapuddle says:

I like # 1. Having moved from Vancouver BC this is very understandable. Average house price in Vancouver hovers around $750,000… that is just nuts.

I can do without the rain and live much better in Kamloops for around 400 grand.

AND nothing bugs me more than welfare bums on the news whining that they need bigger cheques because they can’t afford to live in Vancouver…. MOVE ya bum.

27. #1 should only be a hated tip when it’s stated in random isolation, which I know we’ve all heard: “I’m broke!” “Move to Kansas.” “Uh … thanks.”

But if you’re making a life-change anyway — finishing school, changing jobs, retiring, leaving town before the Ponsi scheme comes home to roost — #1 certainly doesn’t need to be hated. At that point you’re just including smaller cities and lower cost of living places in your overall search.

#10 is pretty hateable — it’s one thing if it’s like “eat healthy, exercise, have friends” but for people with chronic conditions over which they have little or no control, it’s just a maddening and sometimes upsetting thing to be told. It’s not like they don’t KNOW it’s sucking their money and it’s not like they don’t WISH they didn’t have whatever non-curable chronic condition they have.

As for the pets, my husband works with some pet rescue orgs and one of the saddest things, I think, is the number of surrenders they get from families who bought pets (usually dogs) without considering costs. Either they didn’t realize dogs eat more than puppies, or it never crossed their minds that pets require vet care even if they’re healthy (like in this county, regular rabies shots and then the registration fee). I do think people should think through buying a pet somewhat they way they think through having a child (I hope) — this is a commitment you’re making for 5 or 10 or 20 years, depending on pet, and should be considered as such!

28. Snakeophelia says:

The animal shelter at which I volunteer gets very specific about finances in our pet applications. We tell people, for example, that a cat may cost approximately $500 a year in upkeep (food, litter, vet), and they essentially have to sign to say they understand this. And yes, we have denied applications based on a sense that the family is not financially stable enough to support a pet. You’d be surprised how many applicants we get who are renting cheap apartments, living on public assistance, have several kids, and are unhappy that we ask $100 for an adoption fee – yet they think they have the money to properly care for an animal.

As one poster above mentioned, pets are indeed like family members – so if you aren’t willing to spend the money on them that they deserve, you shouldn’t have one.

29. rachaeljean says:

I think this is a good list. It might be hard to follow, but in fact all these things would save money!

10 is certainly true. Even something as innocuous as heart burn (which of course turns out to be acid reflux) cost me hundreds a year in medication. And migraines are really expensive too. Meds, time missed from work, acupuncture or chiropractor which have a higher copay even if they are covered, cat scans, ugh. Very expensive indeed. Being healthy is one of the best money saving things!

8. Quit smoking – I totally agree with this! It would save on your kids’ medical costs as well. My parents both smoked and I missed SO much school and always had bronchitis.

5. Cut your cable – In our area, cable is actually FREE. With Comcast (only provider in town for reliable high-speed) you get a $10 discount for having 2 subscriptions and basic cable is $10. I do think that the TV shows I watch save in other entertainment costs a lot as well. I hardly ever go to the movies.

4. Take your lunch to work – This one is a big giant DUH I think. Also buying bottled water is ridiculously expensive and wasteful since hardly anyone recycles those bottles.

2. Don’t buy a pet – Sad but true. I have two cats who only occasionally have had vet bills (maybe every 2 years or so). I buy them good cat food ($$) which saves on vet bills I believe. As apartment dwellers, every time we’ve moved it’s cost us at LEAST $300 in pet fees. Being young, college-aged, and migratory, this adds up. Every time I have to write that check I just cringe, uck. But, I do it willingly like many other pet owners.

I’m surprised this list didn’t mention anything about buying generics or drugstore-brand products rather than department store. That saves a bundle.

30. swalve says:

@Eyebrows McGee: But the dog is there to LOVE me! Damn the costs!

Regarding the #10, just about everyone can do more to keep themselves healthy. There’s going to be a tiny minority of people with MS or ALS who can’t, but most can. And for some, it might be too late- the debilitating condition is a result of 50 years of not doing what it takes to be healthy.

31. swalve says:

@rachaeljean: 10- Generic Zantac is very inexpensive at Target or WallMart. It’s like $12 for three months worth.

8- Gee, my parents smoked and I didn’t have those problems. Our anecdotal evidence just canceled out!

5- I don’t understand. How do you get the subscriptions to pay for the free discount?

4- Bottled water is ridiculously expensive? You try shitting for a month because the municipal water supply is “safe”. And please define “hardly anyone”.

32. @swalve: Just about everyone can do SOME things, but someone with arthritis or chronic depression is always going to be struggling with and paying for those diseases. (And many people with chronic diseases are MORE aware of their health and are already doing what they can to try to maintain it to the level they are able.) But there’s always some jerk willing to say, “Well, if you’d just GET BETTER you wouldn’t have to pay so much for medical care!” Thanks, jerk, send the memo to my autoimmune disorder! (Pontifical “my,” I don’t have one.)

33. Melsky says:

I think most of these are good tips, just not applicable to everyone. Sometimes people hate things just because they don’t want to hear the truth.

34. no.no.notorious says:

these are some good tips, but the actual article sounds like it was written by a college student.

35. trollkiller says:

@Eyebrows McGee: You can forward the memos to my autoimmune disease.

One way to cut health care costs is to become a human guinea pig. The only problem with that is sometimes the studies are helpful, sometimes they deadly.

36. elisa says:

@Moderators: Can someone ban Shellyle? She/he is obviously an advertising bot, every post advertises a website…

and, um, yeah, apparently Consumerist censors by removing the previous post on Wal-mart’s wanker…I wonder if Carey got “rebuked” for posting it?

37. dapuddle says:

Crap like cell phones that 99% of people don’t ‘need’ expensive cable packages etc…

Cancel all those distractions and you will become healthy because you will get off your butt and actually do something which will lead to fulfilling #10!

38. backbroken says:

Where’s “Replace English speaking domestic help with non-English speaking domestic help” on this list? You can literally save thousands.

39. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@elisa:

I don’t know about the WalMart wanker post, but the advertising bot thing has been taken care of. Thanks for the heads-up, and in the future, the flag button (little exclamation point next to comment) will send a flagged report directly to me — that’s the fastest way to bring something to my attention.

40. elf6c says:

Stop tithing to your Mega-church. There is a Washington Post business writer who is all about the frugal, but due to her religious issues, spends way too much time defending tithing to these Mega-churchs (like the one she attends) even if you are in financial difficulties. Its sad really.

Don’t pay the church until you have paid all your bills- it’s just crazy enough to work!

41. erratapage says:

Remember that their is no particular virtue in having or not having cable tv, adopting or not adopting pets, having or not having children, or living in any particular location or house.

These are money-saving tips. It is your choice whether to employ any of these tips.

42. jamesdenver says:

@Troy F.:

Argentina, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, central Mexico, and Chile are all incredibly affordable to the U.S. dollar. I traveled to eastern Europe earlier this year and lived quite cheap in small villages in the southern Czech Republic.

Spending a portion of each year in a foreign country with a good dollar rate is definitely something I’m planning on when I retire. I love to travel – and in some places you can live well, eat out, meet great people – for much less than your daily expeditures back home.

43. jamesdenver says:

@elf6c:

Agree 100%.

44. MarkMadsen'sDanceInstructor says:

I agree with 2-10, but I have a hard time with #1. I’d rather be thousands of dollars in debt than living in Cleveland.

On the one hand, financial security, on the other hand, death from boredom and the cold. Also as a lawyer, the pay for a lawyer in Cleveland is probably equivalent to that of a teacher out here in CA.

45. Rusted says:

10. Yep, I am.
    9. Heck no, almost lost an eye last month, really glad to be in the USA.
    8. Quit smoking…and drinking.
    7. Buy used….cars perhaps, you can keep the gum.
    6. Buy a house you can afford…did that.
    5. Cut your cable,…..why even have it?
    4. Take your lunch to work….Eat lunch?
    3. Limit small spending….and large.
    2. Don’t buy a pet…adopt, as I look at my monster part-Manx.
    1. Move to a lower cost-of-living city….South, way down in Dixie.

46. jamesdenver says:

@Rusted:

Right on 4. I usually make all my lunches for the week on Sunday. If I’m cooking dinner for 1 or 2 I can just quaddruple the quantity and have lunch all week.

Also where is “give up the car?” My other half and I have shared a car for 5 years. I bike or bus/train to work. The extra money has paid for home improvements, travel, and savings.

Of course the problem with this is that most places where you can live easier without a car – close to downtown near good transit or cities with good transit typically have higher housing prices.

But a family living on ONE car can be done with some planning and coordination.

47. Egakino says:

@AnnC: I guess not, hell the article dosn’t even say these are GOOD tips. It only says that these tips are the most hated. In no way are these denoted as good or bad ideas, just semi useful ideas and the order in which hate ensues.

I assume they are the most hated out of logical money saving tips. Otherwise the list would look more like this.

10 Drink own urine
    9 etc. (really do I have to go on)

48. MeOhMy says:

@jamesdenver: I think that about proves my point. I mean, if you would be able to live in these places more power to you, but some of those countries are in the “Nice to visit…” category and some of them are pretty low-priority on the “Places to go before I die” list. I read “Move to a foreign country” as MOVE to a foreign country, not just hang out in a foreign country for 3 months out of the year.

49. UpsetPanda says:

I have a rabbit, and the biggest expense for him has been a regular neutering, which was about $600 after all tests and boarding post-surgery. Aside from that, he eats little (he’s only 7 lb.) and doesn’t pitch a fit when I fill his bottle with tap. He lives in a giant cage that used to belong to a dog (not mine), and he’s pretty content. He’s got all the toys he ever wants, and his favorite toys are still toilet paper tubes. He also likes chewing on books, so I got a paperback for $.50 and he throws it around all day.

The best saving money tip I have is just to be creative with your time and money. Museums are free, and subway fare isn’t too expensive. We stopped driving into D.C. even though we only live half an hour away. Taking the Metro in, you spend maybe $6 at the most ever and you don’t have to pay for parking when you get into the city. Plus, driving in D.C. is a nightmare.

50. theblackdog says:

10. Great idea, except that to help stay healthy means doctor visits.
    9. I’m too far from either Canada or Mexico, so no visiting. I knew people who would go into Mexico and they were happy with it.
    8. Never smoked, but my ex could use this since he always whined about being broke.
    7. Depends on what you’re getting used, though freecycle is good for some things.
    6. I can’t afford one yet, next.
    5. Did this when I moved, replaced it with Netflix, I basically save $32 a month.
    4. Started doing this months ago to rein in my spending, it does work.
    3. Need more information.
    2. I’m never home enough to have a dog, and there is no way in hell I’m getting a cat again.
    1. Not possible right now unless I also change jobs.

51. FLConsumer says:

The pet arguement depends on what type of pet you have. I have a freshwater fish tank filled w/various loaches (fish) and a free-roaming house rabbit. Fish food works out to <$1/mo and the rabbit works out to ~$3/mo at most as she eats her hay all day long and ends up eating some of whatever I make for dinner. Her litter box has a cat-pan liner in it (trash bag), with shredded paper from my shredder and a newspaper on the bottom. No other costs. There is the “expense” of my time to take care of her, but there’s little I have to do other than feed her and change the box every few days. She’s a self-cleaning appliance otherwise.

Actually, the tips aren’t THAT bad. Obvious to people who already know how to manage money, but you’d be surprised how many people DON’T get it. I’m still stunned to watch friends buy houses & vacations I know they can’t afford. Satrou: The stupid train does indeed depart more often than the A train.

@jamesdenver: You have to balance the proximity vs. price issue. The one thing which most people don’t factor is how much their own time is worth. I moved 10 miles closer to the city center last year. Worth every single penny. That move alone bought me an extra 45-90 minutes/day, not to mention the gas saved by not being stuck in traffic.

52. FLConsumer says:

@CaffeinatedSquint: That’s why I have a female rabbit. No neutering needed. :) Also, most of the animal shelters offer substantially discounted “fixing” of animals that come from them. I think the local one just charges $35 or something similar, and that includes the rabbit!

53. jamesdenver says:

@FLConsumer:

Definitely. I live downtown in a moderate size three bedroom townhome close to transportation and easy to get around. No way in hell I’d ever move to a suburban McMansion even if it was 10x the size at the same price.

54. Morton Fox says:

#5: I’ve never had cable TV and I don’t mind, except when my friends start talking about TV shows that I know nothing about.

55. UpsetPanda says:

@FLConsumer: From what I’ve read, female rabbits have fewer problems but they still do have problems like males do, like aggression and territorial tendancies. I’m pretty sure that female rabbits are okay not to be spayed, but I definitely didn’t have a choice when I got my rabbit. A friend had him for a few weeks before deciding she didn’t want him anymore (we all said it was a bad idea, she’s not the animal type and she’s flippant about her desires) and I just felt too bad for the poor bunny to let him get taken to a shelter.

56. HRHKingFriday says:

#1: Live somewhere where you have a good chance at keeping and advancing your career. Just because Kansas is cheap doesn’t mean you’ll be rich there. Think about the relative Job Opps.

57. UpsetPanda says:

One thing my mother always explained to me was that just because you can buy a nicer home in a lower-cost area, doesn’t mean that you’ll be better off. It’s better to be spending more on a home in a city with more economic growth and potential for growth rather than spending less in an area with no return on your investment.

58. RvLeshrac says:

@CaffeinatedSquint:

Of course, that second paragraph doesn’t help for people in rural areas, or in areas that have absolutely no respect for public transit (Most of the south, save for a few cities in Texas). I’ve calculated the costs, and it is roughly twice as expensive (in time and money) to take public transit in a number of cities.

New York, Seattle, and DC are OK because the parking fees will kill you, but cities like Atlanta have two-hour bus trips for 15-minute drives.

As far as the museum bit goes, more and more museums are charging admission fees, or selective admission (Want to see that egyptian mummies exhibit? That’ll be $10). In addition, museums are frequently some of the least educational places for children, as few of the exhibits are interactive (beyond narration, which doesn’t really count). As an adult, you’re better off browing websites than going to a museum – the museum is an outing that involves transit and food, where sitting at home reading, say, The Consumerist or doing the daily NYT crossword will exercies your brain more and cost less.

59. RvLeshrac says:

@RvLeshrac:

‘exercise,’ even.

60. SteveBMD says:

@CaffeinatedSquint: I have a rabbit, and the biggest expense for him has been a regular neutering…

How often does your rabbit need neutering?? I thought that was a one-time deal.

61. UpsetPanda says:

@SteveBMD: Haha, it is a one time deal…by regular I meant, with no other medical complications, say if he had some illness they had to take into account when they did the neutering. The anasthetic alone was $18. Small potatoes, but he’s only 7 lbs!

62. UpsetPanda says:

* anasthetic = anesthetic

63. drjayphd says:

@Consumerist Moderator – ACAMBRAS: Does that go for just Consumerist? Flagged the rest of that spammer’s comments, and they’re all on other blogs in the Gawker Media Benevolent Dictatorship ™.

64. rachaeljean says:

@swalve: @swalve:
    Wow, way to be a confrontational ass!

Yup, gee thanks for this f-ing memo. I meant REAL medications, not over-the-counter crap. Nexium is one of the most expensive medications for a lot of people, often costing $50 for a month’s supply. Granted, it’s not up there with AIDS or Cancer drugs or something (I just know you would jump on my ass for that), but this is still quite an expense. Oh and that’s WITH insurance. It’s $120/month or so without.

Migraine meds (Imitrex, Maxalt, etc.) are just as bad, and have the added bonus of working different for different people so I get to pay ~$20 for each scrip and then wait and see if they worked or not. If not, then that’s $20 down the drain since you can’t return unused portions for a refund.

Yup, wow. You have a contradicting anecdote. That must mean that smoking is cost-effective and healthy, yaaaay!

Wow, sorry you can’t do basic math. Let me explain it to you as simply as I can:

Comcast high-speed internet… +$42.95 per month
    Comcast basic cable… +$10.00 per month
    Price break for subscribing to multiple services… -$10.00
    FINAL BILL = $42.95 per month

Hey, guess what! I was tested for giardia and cryptosporidium and all sorts of fun little bugs last year! At Christmas! Yaaay!

Hey look! 0.2 seconds of googling came up with data that confirms my statement! [www.msnbc.msn.com]

That states that only TWELVE PERCENT of people recycle their bottled water. So, uh, yeah… I think that counts as “hardly any.”

No matter how you cut it, a home-filter is cheaper anyway. Wooo! Yaay for facts!

Have a SWELL day, asshat!