Marvel at Microsoft’s craptacular “Office Online Gift Guide 2007.” Professional backgrounds for PowerPoint for only $199! [Microsoft via BoingBoing]

Comments

1. homerjay says:

What could be better than the gift that keeps on giving: Productivity!

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

One of my secret weapons: 720 FREE PowerPoint templates, images, and backgrounds here: [powerbacks.com]

3. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Oh, and Happy Holidays, all my fellow corporate flunkies. :)

4. JKinNYC says:

@speedwell: Sorry man, those are garbage. You don’t actually use those for work, do you?

5. mammalpants says:

i prefer to give my coworkers my ass directly from the copier and a little sprinkle of tinkle for the cubicle.

6. liquisoft says:

These constitute “professional” backdrops? I could knock out at least 15 of those in less than an hour. The “fog” one is especially amazing, as it’s just Photoshop Clouds with a bit of a blur.

7. Quellman says:

@JKinNYC: Duh, he gives them to his competition, they use it, get laughed at.
    He has a good one from Microsoft at the price of $199 and he gets a promotion!

8. elmyc says:

@speedwell: Do you really use these for work??? As a graphic designer I’m ashamed by anyone that uses these, they are AWFUL!

9. JeffCarr says:

I’m ashamed by almost anyone who uses PowerPoint myself…

Tip for the average speaker in a business meeting:
    Nobody is really listening to you; your hour long speech could have been replaced with a 30 second email and a link to the relevant information.

10. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

There are a few OK ones. As a graphic designer myself (now a trainer for IT), I do understand the precarious compromise between productivity and quality. I support engineers who actually don’t give a damn about PowerPoint quality, just about product quality. If it’s official company work meant for distribution, I use the template Marketing designed for the purpose. If it’s internal crap meant to hold the attention of adult children with bright colors and pretty pictures, then I take the free stuff into Photoshop and fix it lightly. Really, you did not think I mainlined that dreck… did you?

11. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I have a funny PowerPoint story actually. I used to get (at my personal online account) lots of e-mail meant for some government flunky in the UK. No telling why they were using a free online account, but that’s government work for you. Anyway, I kept sending it back with an apologetic, “I think you have the wrong person.” Nothing worked until the day I got a set of PowerPoint presentations that would have made Gutenberg do the hokey-pokey in his grave. I had nothing better to do that afternoon, so I straightened out all the fonts and line spacing, corrected all the grammar and spelling (and yes, I do know how to edit by Brit rules), attached the repaired documents to my reply, and hit Reply All. Never heard from them again, lol….

12. lowlight69 says:

@speedwell: you should have included your CV! :)

my degree is graphic design but i work as a QA engineer, its a long story. those are pretty sad slides…

13. scoobydoo says:

@speedwell: Those templates are the reason people hate Powerpoint.

People that use templates like that still have a personal website with background midi and animated “under construction” gif files.

14. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@scoobydoo: Point taken. I hate PowerPoint, which might explain a lot.