Guide To US Bank Service Fees

If you’re a customer of US Bank and would like to know if any fun fees apply to your region, like 25 cents every time you buy something with a debit card and punch in your PIN code, here’s a handy guide. 23 states and smaller zones, like “California Metro” and “Council Bluffs, IA” have unique fees, all other fall under the rubric of “Minnesota and All Other States Not Within U.S. Bank Footprint.” It certainly is expensive to run a bank, and everything being electronic has only increased fees. Hey, the electrons have to travel on, like, gold conductors, don’t you know.

U.S. Bank Service Fees
(Photo: northernplateguy)

Comments

1. loueloui says:

Yikes. I’m not a US Bank victim, er.. customer, but I’m expecting a bill just for reading that.

2. Walrii says:

Reminds me of what happened to me. I had a Skybank account, which was great (no fees, good service, etc). Then they merged (got bought out by?) Huntington which promptly improved my service by charging me fees.

My favorite part was their justification for why I’m being charged various ATM fees: I was “sharing” the costs with Huntington. Aww, how kind of them to share.

3. hn333 says:

Hey what happened to the jack off at walmart guy?

4. yeah i’m disappointed in the consumerist for taking down the walmart jack-off guy. When Ben started working on the consumerist it was edgy and freewheeling. But now it seems like they are bowing down to the morality brigade.

5. DallasDMD says:

More like bowing down to the people who don’t want sensationalist content that will get people in trouble at work.

6. SexCpotatoes says:

hey now, you can’t just expect guys to jack-off at walmart, if you feel so strongly about needing to see stories about guys jacking-off at walmart, then go BE that jack-off guy. Put up or shut up you lazy commentors.

7. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@hn333:

@Petrarch1603:

@DallasDMD:

OK, so of 5 comments on this thread, three are off-topic. Why don’t you guys e-mail Ben and/or Carey directly with your concerns?

8. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@SexCpotatoes:

My bad – four.

9. Sudonum says:

@Consumerist Moderator – ACAMBRAS:
    Are you sure the stories aren’t related? Maybe the Walmart guy was excited about the US Bank fees?

10. UnStatusTheQuo says:

USBank has a very aggressive fee structure, and sometimes manages to invent ways to charge you. My wife still has an account with $0.86 cents in it, and I keep telling her to cancel it before a $50.00 “non-usage” fee or some other BS gets charged to the account, and then they won’t notify her for a week and allow daily overdraft charges to pile up… and pretty soon that $0.86 will cost you $100.

She won’t listen. USBank is on my list of most untrustworthy, screw-the-customer, and deceitful banks that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

11. cde says:

@Consumerist Moderator – ACAMBRAS: Because EVERYONE should be able to see any comments/critiques we have about a story getting removed without any reason/explanation/sendoff. Leave removing things then acting like nothings different to the government… :P

12. econobiker says:

Weren’t atm (debit) cards and electronic banking supposed to reduce cost by reducing the number of human tellers required at banks?

Yeah right….

13. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@cde:

So WRITE BEN AND CAREY TO COMPLAIN. Please don’t threadjack an entirely unrelated post.

14. bigat says:

I used to bank there. Not anymore for this very reason. IMO, they are the bank(consumer) robbers, border line illegal IMO.

It was also a nightmare to get the account canceled. I would have rather pissed off Tony Soprano by taking a crap on his pizza rather than go through that again.

15. Amalas says:

I think my favorite is this one:

Non-Automated Information Fee (4) $2.00
    (This fee only applies when funds transfers are completed by a U.S. Bank 24-Hour Banking and Financial Sales personal banker or when all information in the call could have been accessed through our automated telephone system.)

I also used to use U.S. Bank, but have since switched to a credit union. Couldn’t be happier.

16. yg17 says:

I’ve been with US Bank for years and have never had any real problems. When I first opened the account, I was supposed to get free checks, but they charged me for them which resulted in an insufficient funds fee. They quickly reversed the charge for the checks and the NSF fee. Other than that, the only fees I’ve been charged were for things I knew I’d be charged for….too many withdrawals from my savings account in a month, and going under the savings account minimum balance (moved most of my money to an online savings account, went under balance and meant to move the rest of the money to checking and close the account. I got lazy, didn’t do it, got hit with a $3 fee, moved the money out of savings, called them up and closed the account. A 3 dollar lesson learned)

I’ve never been charged a fee for a PIN transaction, I don’t get charged fees for using another bank’s ATM (other than the fees that bank charges me). And I’ve never been charged outrageous NSF fees because I don’t spend money I don’t have. What a novel idea, isn’t it? Customer service is pretty good too, I called at like 1 AM on a Sunday to get a replacement debit card because the magnetic strip wore out….I got a friendly rep who spoke perfect English and I had a new card in a few days.

17. bigat says:

@yg17:
    You must me the luck few who can live with-in their budget or are an Accountaint by trade or make over $100,000yr. For those of use who live paycheck to paycheck and make under $50,000, it’s fine line making it one week to the next. With out our banks maximizing fees. You do realize that banks last year made something like 1+ BILLION dollars in charging fees to its consumers right.

18. MBZ321 says:

Charged to use a debit card? Ouchh glad I bank at Commerce.

19. yg17 says:

@bigat: Yes, I realize that banks make billions with fees. I’m not defending that. And I’m a college student who lives on paycheck to paycheck. And my paycheck is probably a small fraction of yours. I just budget my money, don’t buy crap I don’t need and therefore, don’t overdraft my account.

20. kbarrett says:

There are no electronic fees involved when you just carry cash.

Complete anonymity as well.

21. BigBoat says:

I’ve been fairly happy with US Bank. I got a call one time from a woman who said she worked at US Bank and wanted confirmation on some charges. I asked her to better identify herself and she wouldn’t (I also wouldn’t better identify myself. It was cute). The end result was a random cancellation of my card, so I wrote a professional but stern letter to the customer service department, got apologies and received (unasked) $25.

My point being, their fees may be egregious but at least they’ll play ball when they cross a line. I can live with it.

22. sarahdipity says:

Yay for Council Bluffs!

I actually miss US Bank. Since I moved to NYC I’ve found WaMu to be satisfactory but the fee structure at US Bank was always better, especially with ATM fees.