No Black Friday Violence Reported So Far

A preliminary scouring of morning news turned up no reports of Black Friday violence. Very disappointing. Perhaps several stores being open on Thanksgiving helped to draw off some of the crowds. Maybe more people are shopping online. Perhaps a weak dollar has also weakened consumer’s shopping ferocity. Decreased consumer confidence could translate to shoppers being too timid to throw a punch. Maybe it’s too early to tell and we’ll see some trampling and wig-loss yet… or maybe, just maybe, the deals just suck this year.

Comments

1. Youthier says:

There were no super awesome deals… I didn’t go for the first time in five years because there was nothing worth getting out of bed for. I’ll go tomorrow afternoon and get the tools my husband wants but that’s all there was.

2. UpsetPanda says:

We got up at 5:30 to go get a Wii. The store wasn’t opening until 8, but we thought we should get there much earlier in case the lines were going to start forming….an hour later, we were standing at the door with two other souls, waiting for Wiis. When the doors opened, they announced there were only seven and several people at the back of the 15 person line dropped off.

We’re now having a great celebration of black friday triumph.

3. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Meh. The outside world does not exist today. We have enough leftovers to stand a siege, I haven’t been to the mall in months, I belong to that Amazon shipping saver club, and I’m half done making most of my gifts this year anyway (knit, quilt, bake, sew, etc.).

4. AlisonAshleigh says:

i heard there was a fist fight at my local best buy early this morning, but not sure how true that it.

5. B says:

At least you’re not working. I’m at work today, but with our email down and most of our customers not working, I have nothing to do.

6. Kezzerxir says:

I’d have to agree with Heyhermano. There was just nothing really great to get my arse outside standing in line in 18 degree weather. I did drive best buy buy and laughed at at ever freezing their balls off around 1am.

7. B says:

@Kezzerxir: So the only thing that motivated you to go outside was going outside to laugh at people who are outside standing in line? I think you need a better hobby.

8. humorbot says:

Also no UFO sightings and Missouri has not seceded from the Union. But it’s only just past 9:30am on the west coast. There’s ample time to speculate.

9. photomikey says:

No Violence on Black Friday. Consumerist disappointed. Film at 11.

10. chutch says:

I can report of some at the local Wal-Mart actually looting each other’s carts and empty hands to get things that were not stocked well enough. Personally, there would be a fight on your hands if I’m up early enough to stand in line to get something – and you take it from me. That being said, no true violence that I know of.

I can say that at exactly 5:00am a noise erupted through the store that I’ve only heard in horror movies when locusts are devouring as part of a plague. Interesting how a noise representing a plague would strike Wal-Mart at exactly the time of the Black Friday sales starting. hmmmm.

11. chutch says:

Excuse me. Full hands. It wouldn’t make much sense to loot empty hands now would it?

12. WhatThe... says:

There was a (semi)local news story this morning about a riot at the Mall in Boise, Idaho. I haven’t been able to find video other than the glimpse from the broadcast this am…

13. UpsetPanda says:

@chutch: Unless you were doing a practice run, determining how fast you could snatch something out of another person’s arms, if there was actually something in them.

I saw a bunch of people camped outside Best Buy at 8 p.m. last night.

14. bohemian says:

I saw nothing in any of the black friday ads that would get me up to fight a crowd a 4am, not even bother shopping any other day. The deals this year sucked.

15. capitalass says:

Maybe buy nothing day is catching on. Anyways, I can’t have the consumerist feel disappointed. I’ll go out and trample someone in front of the Walmart for you all :)

16. Ben Popken says:

@chutch: Ah, here’s the local report: Bumps, bruises & broken doors as 10k jam into mall. And video

17. Ben Popken says:

@Ben Popken: Oops this was supposed to be in reply to Whatthe, re: boise idaho

18. azntg says:

Yeah, this article is moot now. But, I still had to say:

@HeyHermano: Damn, you stole my exact words out of my mouth! First time in five years I’m not going out on Black Friday and also, no spectacular deals like the years prior.