Drinking And Shopping Probably Not A Good Mix

We can’t imagine getting through the crowds today without doing a shot of something first, but both the Houston Chronicle and the Baylor College of Medicine in Texas say it’s probably not a good idea—you end up doing things like buying a massage chair from Sharper Image and not remembering anything about it when it shows up at your front door the next day.

One woman calls them “shopping goggles”—and blames them for buying a $90 sweater “while tipsy.”

Retailers don’t seem to mind it as much. The owner of one clothing store tells the Chronicle, “Once they try something on and see that they like it, they tend to go for it, because obviously, they’ve taken the edge off.” He says slightly drunk customers stay longer and spend about $100 more on average.

If you think you’re impervious to the wallet-opening effects of liquor, consider this cautionary tale:

Karry’s been there. “I was at home drinking,” she remembered, “and I thought, ‘Oh, my God, I need bras.’ ” She found a couple at Nordstrom.com and spent $55 — each.

“Think twice before drinking and shopping” [Houston Chronicle]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. UpsetPanda says:

Stupidity is only enhanced by a large amount of alcohol.

2. ParadigmABQ says:

@CaffeinatedSquint: A large amount of alcohol is only enhanced by stupidity.

3. theblackdog says:

I guess it could be safer than spending your money on hookers and blow.

4. Mr. Gunn says:

I’ve never understood why mall stores don’t work more closely with mall restaurants and bars…

5. jeffeb3 says:

While selling cell phones in high school, I often pondered the legitimacy of signing people up for contracts when they seemed intoxicated. Of course, I was never really sure if they were, and I never really was told one way or the other by mngmt.

6. capitalass says:

This is ridiculous. First no drinking when driving, then no drinking when shopping. What next, no drinking during a surgical procedure? I mean soon people won’t be able to drink anytime much like they can’t smoke anywhere. Drinking is positive, and it gives people the conviction that they don’t have when stuck in a state of sobriety. We need more conviction in this society. Drink up people. $55 bras are good, esp. when combined with hookers and blow. That’s really good. Speaking of which, my dealer had a black friday sale on some good old blue magic. I waited for 6 hours on that street corner and shot a couple people to make sure that I would get my 15% discount.

Hint: It’s best when cut with turkey tryptophan.

7. Hoss says:

“He says slightly drunk customers stay longer…” Not if i can’t find the rest room

8. Scuba Steve says:

@Hossofcourse:
    What, suddenly you’re too good for that potted plant in the corner?

Well la-dee-dah!

9. bohemian says:

Get it right people, your supposed to drink after you shop to bring down the stress level of having to deal with shopping.

10. KJones says:

Given that these “black Friday” sales open at 6AM, they must be receiving a lot of shoppers who were drinking all night.

“Walllll…murt! Now, thoshe guys shell a great brang-ud whishkey! Ehhh…brand new of whishkey…aw, forget it, let’sh go in!”

11. hardisonthefloor says:

last year i went to a store to get a present for a family member, and they had free spiked cider at the door as you walk in. i asked an employee if that was even legal, and their response was, “i have no idea”

12. Jay Levitt says:

Drinking, nothing: the big problem is Ambien shopping. Because then you don’t even have to black out to forget about it; it’s got built-in amnesia!

I once ordered myself a “Total Immersion Swimming” instructional DVD, convinced that this would completely revolutionize my swimming technique.

I do not own a pool.

13. Dervish says:

$55 for a bra isn’t unheard of. Wacoals usually run around that price, and they make really high quality bras that’ll last a lot longer than other brands.

14. no.no.notorious says:

thanks getty for all your wonderful images!

15. ultimaluz says:

I usually start drinking heavily around November 1, because that’s when the Xmas-tree-co. CSR job gets really horrific, so I do all of my holiday shopping really tanked.

Last year my mom got a Madame Alexander doll and a small vibrator (sold separately.) She loved both! Thanks, Sapporo Black!

16. SJActress says:

@hardisonthefloor:

Yes, that is legal. A company can hand out alcohol without a liquor license, provided that they only serve to legal age and don’t charge. We have instore performances all the time where I work (record store) and we’re allowed to serve alcohol. :)