The Best And Worst Tech Gadgets Of The Year

It begins—the year end “best of” lists! If you’re gearing up for the gift buying frenzy that will begin on Friday, here’s a quick slideshow of some of the most inspiring and least impressive electronics in the marketplace right now.

Like any “best of” list, we take issues with some of the selections (iPhone is best smartphone? orly?) but the list at least provides a “big picture” overview of where you can find the quality electronics.

“Slide Show: The Biggest Bang for Your Holiday Buck” [BusinessWeek]
(Photo: Nokia N95)

Comments

1. louisb3 says:

I don’t know why you’d doubt that the iPhone is a smartphone, but the reviewers obviously haven’t played the Orange Box.

2. TKWarrior says:

Yeah, this list is a joke. Anyone that goes to BusinessWeek for tech advice deserves what the get IMHO.

3. Cary says:

Best sound: Bose?

What a difference an ad dollar makes.

4. XTC46 says:

@louisb3: I don’t think they are doubting its a smart phone, I think they are doubting its the BEST smart phone. the iPhone is the best MULTIMEDIA phone hands down, but the nokia N95, some of the blackberry’s and a few others definitely out preform the iPhone for the average business user who smart phones are targeted at.

5. Kloud says:

That “list” is full of either BS or advertisement.

“Best PC” Mac Pro and “Worst PC” a Windows machine. As far as bang for your buck, $2,000-2,800 for a Mac Pro isn’t even close to a “bang for your buck” in any sense.

6. Kloud says:

@Kloud: Hmm, seemed to screw up that last sentence = Really should double check my comment before submission eh?

7. BigNutty says:

I smell paid reviews.

8. UpsetPanda says:

And anyone who thinks the XBox 360 would be a fantastic DVD player substitute is just too lazy to actually spend a few dollars and get a real DVD player. It’s not about streamlining, it’s just about having something as a back up unit. I think the $25 Wal-Mart DVD players are probably worse than the XBox 360 DVD player because -gasp!- playing DVDs is their major function!

9. Anonymous says:

I played with an n95 and despite the poor battery life, I would have to say I would take one over an iphone. The fact that it has gps far surpasses any gains (super touchscreen) that the iphone has.

10. pureobscure says:

Wow, Apple must represent a ton in ad revenue for BusinessWeek. How else can you compare a $2,500 Mac laptop and a $500 Dell laptop and call the latter underpowered?

Also, for a business magazine it seems a tad odd that they overlooked the fact that the iPhone has no corporate email capability, while the Treo (selling for a quarter of the money) does.

What an utterly ridiculous article. How about comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun) you clowns.

11. youwantedahero says:

Well, it also says that the Wii “can be found” for $370 and up… What? Strange.

12. Parting says:

Boo, advertising pretending being reviews…

iPhone is no better then Treo, it’s like comparing melons to apples. Both have different capabilities and uses.

Treo is business, e-mails and uses many specialized softwares (example : for doctors and pharmacists).

iPhone is overpriced gadget. More an electronic fashion statement.

Dissapointed that Consumerist even mentions these ”reviews”

13. nucleotide says:

Why mention the video call feature of the N95? The lame US networks don’t even support that feature. Thank you US Telecoms for providing some of the slowest and most technically inferior cell networks on the planet. US consumers, you are backwards sheep being sold by the government to the highest bidder. You’re not getting the best deal being resold back WHAT YOU OWN!!! Enjoy your spiral downward into world mediocrity.

14. DallasDMD says:

@zirkus: Yes, my world is turned upside down by that fact. Of all the things that could possibly be wrong, this is the worst!

15. BensAngel says:

@zirkus: You don’t have video calling???

16. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

BusinessWeek? Seriously? Anybody takes this crap seriously?
    You may not be able to buy the only reliable newspaper, but you can still get it online…[www.weeklyworldnews.com]

17. lemur says:

@chouchou: I have a Treo 650. I think Palm deserves all the criticism they’ve been getting lately. The Treos are bulky and run software that is quite devoid of great features. The iPhone is just not for me because of the price and because I don’t think it would interact well with my OS (Ubuntu) but at least Apple has shown what innovation looks like while Palm has been positively destroying their platform by running after too many confused targets. It feels like Palm has taken the Amiga as its model of how to manage their business.

18. SpdRacer says:

Actually, the 25$ Wal-Mart Special DVD players are the ones I prefer because they will play anything, unlike my 300$ fancy DVD player that has a fit if I try to play a VCD that it is supposed to support.