FiOS TV Prices Are Going Up

Verizon is rasing prices on its standalone TV FiOS service, says BusinessWeek.

If you’re currently paying $39.95, you’ll be paying $42.99 starting next year. If you’re paying $42.99 now, there will be no rate increase. New customers will start at a rate of $47.99.

The increase apples only to those customers who have just TV from Verizon. If your service is bundled the pricing is more complex.

Verizon to up cost of FiOS TV service [BusinessWeek]
(Photo:Ben Popken)

Comments

1. homerjay says:

I hate it when increases apple to me.

2. UpsetPanda says:

Yes, this is a surefire way of getting people to sign up for Fios. Make it more expensive, and make it an ‘exclusive’ offer. Only the elite will want Fios, and only the elite who can afford to repair and replace the damaged items in their home after Fios technicians cover it in smoke and soot need apply.

/sarcasm

3. boandmichele says:

orange you glad they didnt charge more though?

4. ironchef says:

FIOS TV kinda sux because you have to watch everything through the box…making 3rd party PVRs like the stuff on your computer obsolete.

Don’t get me wrong…I hate the cable companies too.

5. homerjay says:

@boandmichele: tee hee hee ;)

6. boandmichele says:

@homerjay: sorry, i couldnt help it :)

7. nursetim says:

Vonage must of been infringing the hell out of Verizon’s patents if they have to increase prices that much.

8. IphtashuFitz says:

@ironchef: I believe that you can use TiVos on FIOS. The HD and Series 3 versions of TiVo come with full CableCARD support, so instead of using a set top box provided by Verizon you can use a TiVo PVR and still get all the same channels. I don’t have FIOS but I do have a TiVo S3 (with Comcast) and the CableCARD integration works great. If you go over to http://www.tivocommunity.com you can find posts from people who do use them with FIOS.

9. Goatweed says:

the only bad thing about cablecards is the loss of On Demand programming – you’d think they’d have figured that out by now.

10. kc2idf says:

@IphtashuFitz: I would not expect CableCard to be compatible with FIOS — CableCard expects an entirely different delivery system and only uses the coax cable as a piece of wire to connect things up, while formatting the signal entirely differently.

11. Echomatrix says:

The FCC will get them. don’t worry. Just remember the ol’ ATT scandle. Cell phones companies are first though!

12. fredmertz says:

@kc2idf: Why post what you “expect” when it’s easy enough to find out (google “fios cablecard) that you’re expectations are wrong?

From the Fios website:

Current one-way Digital Cable Ready TVs will not be capable of receiving two-way interactive services without the use of a set-top box. Certain advanced features of the Service, such as FiOS TV Interactive Programming Guide, Pay-Per-View (PPV), Video-on-Demand (VOD), FiOS TV weather and traffic Widgets, and Parental Controls are not provided through the one-way CableCARD. A set-top box is required to access these advanced Service features.

13. Trai_Dep says:

10% rate hikes w/ no recourse?

Sounds like letting Ma Bell come in, rip out your copper wiring (stranding you high and dry from other competitors), then leaving you at their mercy isn’t so grand a proposition as the shiny FiOS brochures suggest.

14. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

It’s only because they have been told their liability insurance for employee cause house fires is going way up.
    I’m still waiting for one of them to drill through a sewer pipe & let the shit ooze out into a wall, which is exactly what a Ma Bell tech did some 30 years ago somewhere.
    The homeowners couldn’t figure out why their place smelled like shit & several plumbers found nothing until the wall collapsed with all that festering shit & a two pair phone line going right through the pipe!

15. parad0x360 says:

Here is one for the record books. I live in NH. I want Fios. Fios is available in my area after waiting for a looong ass time. Im sick and tired of crapcast.

So i go to sign up…turns out that same day Verizon sold their lines to Fairpoint…cant get Fios anymore. WTF!!!????!!!!?????

Does Fairpoint offer broadband here? Nope, not for a couple years. Will it be Fiber like Fios? Nope just DSL! What the hell Verizon!?

16. MBZ321 says:

A great alternative to cable guys…Not! Not to mention you need a box for each TV even if you don’t care about what channels are digital or not. In the end, they could be more expensive than Comcast!

17. Price increased and I don’t even have it available to me yet. “Most impressive…”

18. homerjay says:

I’ve never been happier with DirecTV. Really. FiOS IS available to me but they offer no reason to switch besides faster internet. Meh…

19. lakai says:

Thats great, now if I can only get a paper statement!!! I’ve had Fios for 4 months and have yet to recieve a invoice in the mail nor can I access a statement online.

20. hoo_foot says:

Still cheaper than Comcast!

21. Sian says:

Big Telco Raises Prices on Standalone Services to Encourage Use of Bundled Services. This is news?

22. Outtacontext says:

The letter we got on the Fios increases was so confusing it’s hard to tell exactly what we’ll be charged. Basically, they told us that our rate won’t be going up (I think) but that if we wanted any new add-ons, we’d better pony up now for them, while the price is right.

23. drumman83 says:

Hey i’m a fiber optic field tech for fios and after reading some of this I have a few bits of info that will be helpful. 1st- this story of fires being caused by fios installers is true but has only happened 2 times in the last 3 years after more than 400,000 install. the fires were caused by careless installs (2 out of 400,000). granted there have been other damages but this is the same with any company that works in the field. 2nd- Fios does offer cable cards as written before and yes they are 1 way just like every other cable company in america. 3rd- price increase are inevitable with any provider 2 increases over 4 years toatling $6. 4th- the billing situation has been horrible. I have personally delt with my customers on this issue. A new billing department is in the process of being opened as we speak and hopefully it will solve this issue. last but not least for the person who lives in NH and said verizon has fios availible in his area but sold their facilities, you need to call back. Verizon has not and will not sell their fios facilities, they are in the process of selling their copper lines to get rid of the trouble they produce (hence why they are switching to fiber. No shorts, high opens, cross connects, etc.)I have some good connections here in florida so if you need something i will try to help.

24. wobudong says:

I just got off the phone with a FIOS saleslady. All I wanted was Internet and TV, not the Internet-TV-phone bundle. No dice. The only twofer bundles are phone/Internet and phone/TV. So I asked for the three-piece suit. No, I didn’t want the DVR free for 6 months. No, I didn’t want to give her my Social Security number for the credit check. I suggested they do the credit check by looking at my Verizon phone bills, which have been paid in full and usually in advance for the past 36 years.
    Not good enough.
    So I’m staying with DSL via Earthlink (on a Verizon phone line!) for $49.95 a month. TV is on cable RCN for about $67 a month. And my phone bill…don’t ask. At least everything has worked for the past 30 years or so. Sometimes money is worht less than time.