The wife of a popular political blogger finally wins in her battle to get Blue Cross Blue Shield to pay for an epidural procedure. Blog-activated mob force wins again. [Daily Kos]

Comments

1. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

Alright, good for her. Now if everybody can email bomb Anthem BCBS and tell them to cover Rozerem we’ll be set.

2. nffcnnr says:

Behold the power of the interwebs!! i guess ya have to be a highly influencial political activist, contributor to a national weekly news magazine, and/or a famous blogger with hundreds of thousands of readers to get decent health care in America. yay.

3. bohemian says:

So the only way to get healthcare in this country is by shaming insurance companies and providers into acting like human beings?

That woman’s experience is worse than the 3 card monte our health insurance that is also our local hospital plays with denying benefits on one side and charging triple the national rate on the provider side.

4. DrGirlfriend says:

I’d like to say “unbelievable”, but it’s actually not unbelievable. This is what it comes down to when it comes to healthcare in America: the patient is the one who carries the financial burden. If a provider can decide to screw patients, patients are responible. If an insurance company decides to screw patient, the patient is responsible. If Dante were alive today, one of his circles of hell would be reserved for this industry.

5. timmus says:

Human beings? No, it’s not about even pretending to be human… it’s all about whitewashing the story to prevent lost sales.

6. spinachdip says:

Well, at least we’re free from the evils of (cue scary music) socialized medicine. We Americans appreciate the value of adequate healthcare because we have to work for it. Eat your heart out, Germany!

7. rhombopteryx says:

@spinachdip:
    Is that heart eating procedure covered there? ;)

8. Dervish says:

Ech, she should have just sucked it up and gone without the epidural. It’s not THAT bad.

Note that this was sarcasm, coming from a woman who plans to have kids (with epidurals!) some day. Congrats on getting the issue resolved – I can’t imagine what it would be like to be caught in the middle of it.

9. TheLobster says:

Glad that public opinion can still count when it is applied in an organized fashion. Blue Cross has encouraged it’s employees to through out claims and cancel policies for light and transient causes. They can look at an application you submitted years ago, and then at the point where big medical expenses come in, can denie you health care based on an “omission.” We have Cal. State Healthcare Issues coming to a vote. Changes must come on the Federal level, too. I’ll vote for who has a real plan to manage the run away costs and greed.

10. mysticone says:

@public enemy #1:
    I don’t know how accurate this is, but, I’ve heard that Rozerem is actually very, very similar to just taking over-the-counter melatonin. It seems to work on the same part of the brain, which is why it’s not the same as other sleep medications. So, perhaps check with your doctor about that?

I’ve also had Anthem BCBS deny a prescription for Nexium. They gave me a nice list of alternatives they *would* cover, but if I wanted Nexium, it was going to be about $150/month. Thankfully, Prilosec worked just as well. :)

11. Jon Parker says:

I can see all kinds of problems with single payer, but none of them outweigh the fact that under our current system:

1. Health care is literally a matter of life and death.

2. Our current system provides significant financial incentives for companies to deny this care, even if you have insurance.

It’s wrong, and it has to change.

12. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

@mysticone: Thanks for the tip. I’ve tried Ambien, Lunesta and Benadryl and none work. I’ll look into the melatonin, what have I got to lose.

13. mzs says:

I think I have written about this before here, but there are certain medical professions that seem to attract the scum that only want a trophy wife and a BMW. Anesthesiologists seem to fall under that category. It was very hard to find a hospital that had one working there that was under our medical plan in California. We finally found one where everything was covered. More than a year later we get contacted to pay thousands of dollars for the epidural. After a very long process the insurance company learned that the doctor was running with the following scam:

He would apply to be a member.
    Then he would be a member for 30-60 days during a grace period he had to fill-out a number of forms.
    He would never send in those forms.
    Repeat

This way he conned many people like us. In the end the insurance company said they would pay and I had to sign paperwork I would not sue anyone. It was understood that the insurance company was going to sue the doctor, but did they, I don’t know for sure.

It was very infuriating because we only found out by chance when we happened to call later at a time he was again in the grace period. Supposedly multiple times people at the insurance company had looked into our case in detail.