Free Photos With Santa At Walmart Starting November 24

Is Billy Bob Thornton available? For the first time ever, every single Walmart will feature Santa. Also, there will be free 5″ x 7″ photos to be had while supplies last.

From the press release:

“We’re committed to saving people money so they can have a merrier Christmas with their friends and family,” said Lori Kumar, Wal-Mart’s divisional merchandise manager for photo processing. “Offering free photos with Santa is one more way parents can save at Wal-Mart this Christmas. And with most mall kiosk Santa photos costing $10 or more, we’re expecting to save American families at least $5 million over the next three weekends on these photo keepsakes.”

Let’s hope Walmart made a list (of sex offenders) and checked it twice.

For the First Time Ever, Wal-Mart Welcomes Santa Claus in Stores Coast-to-Coast (Press Release)
[CNNMoney]
(Photo:Tracy Bennett)

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

I’d sooner go somewhere else and pay to have the picture taken.

2. Tankueray says:

My mom and grandma work for a company that does Santa photos at the mall. This is going to cut into their profits, which means I GET LESS FOR CHRISTMAS!!! Won’t somebody please think of the Tankueray!? Yet another reason why I hate Wal*Mart.

3. Trai_Dep says:

Oh. My. Gawd.

Wal-Mart is outsourcing Santa.

“War on Christmas,” indeed.

4. UpsetPanda says:

I bet the Wal-Mart Santa slips kids some coupons for toys…”Always low prices, ho ho ho, kids!”

5. Beerad says:

@trai_dep: I was thinking along similar lines, and wondering if they would have underpaid Chinese Santas.

6. @CaffeinatedSquint: Not to be offensive, but if it’s WalMart, wouldn’t it be “Always row prices, ho ho ho. Fa ra ra ra RA.”

7. BigNutty says:

Hey, some families can’t afford a pic with their kids sitting on Santa’s lap so cut Wal-Mart some slack. Everybody always slams Wal-Mart but somehow they keep customers coming back for more.

I would take bets that many people that slam Wal-Mart actually shop there.

8. trollkiller says:

I just wonder will this be a Made in the USA Santa or a lead laden Chinese import?

9. eeebee says:

I bet they sell a lot of reprints. As a photographer myself, I know people can’t get just one photo, especially if they are right there and they are cute.

10. czarandy says:

I’m amazed at people who complain about a FREE service.

If you don’t want to use it you don’t have to. If you value “sticking it to Walmart” more than $10 then no one is stopping you from doing that.

11. trollkiller says:

@czarandy: It is NOT a free service it is bait. It is a well thought out plan to seperate you from your money.

I look forward to seeing if this helps increase sales.

12. morganlh85 says:

I remember back the in day when you could get a single Polaroid with Santa for about $2, and we were totally happy with that. Now they have frickin photo PACKAGES that cost $30 and up — it’s totally ridiculous.

13. Consumer-X says:

Oh the HORROR! Wal Mart is saving people money again! Damn Wal Mart and their evil efficient, market savvy, competitive ways! Personally I would rather pay more for things just so I could pretend that I am better than those dirty commoners.

14. Bye says:

@Consumer-X: Issues much? Sarcasm-impaired?

Either way, I have never once got the implication that those who choose to not shop at WalMart are doing so just for the smug feeling of not being associated with “common” folks. Quite the contrary.

Hopefully Santa will bring you what the Scarecrow is asking for Christmas.

15. Beerad says:

@Consumer-X: Frankly, I’d rather pay a little more and know that the mom-and-pop business owners in my hometown stay afloat, that my goods were not built in a foreign sweatshop, and that the community benefits from my spending rather than some company headquartered in a state far far away.

But hey, rock on with your bad self.

16. Trai_Dep says:

@Consumer-X: Sure, you say that now. But what will you do when Santa is evicted from the North Pole, Mrs Claus is kicked to the curb in a ratty coat and the elves diaspora starts streaming mournfully into your neighborhood? Huh? Huh?!

17. SpdRacer says:

@Bignutty: I shop at Wal-Mart and hate myself every time I do. WE all know the complaints against them and they are for the most part true. I need a shower just talking about their EVIL EMPIRE.

18. Consumer-X says:

There is nothing inherently evil about Wal Mart. They simply provide goods at cheaper prices by employing more efficient business methods.
    Capitalism is so successful because it rewards those who are the most efficient and most competitive. That holds true for Wal Mart and it holds true for everyone including those reading this comment.
    The backlash against Wal Mart is the result of Unions who want to enlist employees of Wal Mart as members. The Union’s water is being carried by elitists who embrace this cause to give themselves a rakish revolutionary elan.
    Thank you, I am done with my rant now.

19. Consumer-X says:

@trai_dep: Bridget the Midget is welcome to stay in my crib anytime. And by “crib” I don’t mean house, I mean crib. Literally.

20. Trai_Dep says:

Over the holidays, rent Wal-Mart: the high cost of low price. It’s an entertaining docu, and if you’re fair-minded, it won’t hurt to see a well-made critique of your (sorta simplistic) view.

[www.walmartmovie.com]

21. Mary says:

Regardless of your opinion of Wal-Mart, this is a brilliant idea. This is creating buzz about Wal-Mart’s Santa photo service, and with the word “free” floating around they’ll attract lots of people into their stores, who probably won’t just get one free photo and walk out the door. No, they’ll probably buy some wallet sized ones for the family and a big one to be framed above the fireplace. And while they’re there, why not get some of their shopping done while waiting for the photo to be processed?