Delta Wants Me To Rebook For A Later Flight Because I'm One Minute Late

I roll up to the JFK curb for an 8:30 am flight. I give my info to the check-in guy. “Sorry sir, you can’t check you bag,” he says.
“Why not?” I ask.
“Check-in time is 45 minutes before departure.”
I look at my watch. It’s 7:46. “So, you’re going to bust me for being one minute late?”
“Sir, if you go inside and to the right, one of our agents will be happy to assist you with rebooking for a later flight.”

“Yeah right,” I think to myself, and scurry inside to a self-check-in kiosk, grumbling internally about how the car service was 20 minutes late and we hit traffic…

After punching all the buttons, I head to the kiosk baggage drop-off. They won’t let me check my bag either so I decide to try something I had read about others doing on The Consumerist but never had reason to use myself.

I pass through security theater and make it to the gate just as they were doing final boarding call. I ask the ticket agent if he has one of those tags so I can drop my baggage on the gangplank. He finds and affixes a cheery green tag my bag, hands me the receipt, I drop it off on the gangplank next to the baby strollers, and it meets me at baggage claim on the side just like normal.

So, if you’re ever running too late to check your baggage, remember that you can always do a last-minute drop-off on the gangplank.

(Photo: Maulleigh)

Comments

1. Elvisisdead says:

Which works great as long as you don’t have fingernail clippers in your bag.

2. XTC46 says:

You blame the agent, but in reality the computer probably has a cut off time for checking bags. How about instead of ignoring the well known check in policies for flights, you do what everyone else did and just get there on time.

3. JayXJ says:

The guy at the check-in desk probably couldn’t process you. The computer simply won’t work after a certain amount of time. Nice dodge though.

4. hills says:

Good work:)

5. Finder says:

@xtc46: Sometimes you just run late. Not everyone can be as perfect as I am sure you are. :)

6. Draconianspark says:

One should hope that there was the ability for a minute’s worth of leniency, or an offer of checking the baggage anyway instead of immediately wishing to reschedule OP.

7. Froggmann says:

Great, airline travel done by McDondalds breakfast rules…

8. djhopscotch says:

@Froggmann:
    So whats the cut off, a hour, two?

9. JustAGuy2 says:

If it fit for carry-on, why in the heck were you going to check it in the first place?

Also, that 45 minute rule is annoying, and it CAN be waived, but you need to (a) get the right agent, and (b) get lucky, since they’re really disinclined to do it.

10. UpsetPanda says:

@JustAGuy2: The OP never mentioned that his bag was fit for carry-on. The gangplank baggage drop is mostly for parents who need their strollers until they board, and drop it off at the gangplank because the size of it constitutes as checked baggage, not as carry-on.

11. MelL says:

@JustAGuy2: It wasn’t necessarily fit for carry on, he simply brought the bag he would have checked in and had the crew stow it underneath at the plane.

12. MercuryPDX says:

You got extremely lucky OP:

1) Your bag didn’t contain anything naughty or trigger a (random or otherwise) individual search.
    2) Your bag was appropriately carry-on sized.
    3) Delta JFK Security must not have been nearly as hideous as the last time I flew out of there (you would have missed your flight).

I’d mark this off to Good Karma.

13. MercuryPDX says:

@mell & @CaffeinatedSquint: Strollers and wheelchairs, yes… but the one time I saw someone try to pass a Samsonite suitcase through the scanner they made him go back and check it citing it was “not a carry-on and must be checked”.

This was at PDX airport too, if that counts for anything.

14. swalve says:

Wow. Yay consumerist! “I tried to break the rules I agreed to when I bought this ticket and all I got was this lame blog post?”

15. mgyqmb says:

@MercuryPDX: That’s really strange, because it’s not really the TSA’s job to enforce the carry-on regulations.

It’s a careful balance of the Airline’s policy, size and type of plane, and the way the stewardesses feel that day. I never, ever check my bags. My girlfriend and I carry on some of those big 50L hiking packs – usually no one minds.

16. Kloud says:

@swalve: I browsed the Consumerist and all I got was this lame comment?

17. rjhiggins says:

@mgyqmb: Just because nobody complains doesn’t mean they don’t mind. Ask a few travelers what they think of selfish people who fill up the overhead bins with oversized luggage — because the rules only apply to the little people, I guess.

18. dirk1965 says:

Be there 45min early??? I haven’t heard that since before 9/11. The new rule is like 1.5 hours prior to your flight departure. Just get to the airport sooner you little whiner!

19. univision says:

Yeah, you have to be careful with those delays, and its all about what mood the ticket/phone person is in. I went to a family members funeral, and calculated the dates wrong and had to change the return flight by one day. On top of the fact that Delta told me “No bereavement fares for domestic flights” the idiot, total “I could care less about you” person on the phone wanted to charge me an *extra* $500 (I paid $300 for the whole flight). So, moral of the story calculate your trip well, or else you’re going to pay for it, and be one time.

BTW, I bought a one-way ticket with Continental for $200. GO CONTINENTAL!

20. Geekybiker says:

Sometimes even when you do everything right, you get caught by this stuff. One time me and the GF were going on an international flight- first one out in the morning. We got there a little on the late side (cab didnt’ show up and we had to call like 3 times to get one) but we were still well in advance of the check in limit. However because of the international flight we couldnt do curbside or kiosk check in. Everyone for the next couple hours of flights after ours was in line and it simply wasn’t moving. Tried to talk to the kiosk agent and she said to wait. 30min later we flagged her again and pleaded with her to check us in a just as the check in limit was reached. She did so with and exasperated gasp (never mind NOBODY Was waiting at the kiosks) Left our bags and went on to see the security line extending a good 50yrds out of the stiles. Luckily a employee walked down the line and was calling people for our flight and we dodged to the front of the line. Made it on okay, but we tried to do everything right and still almost got screwed.

21. Voyou_Charmant says:

I don’t think trying to cut it so close is a good idea. It’s stupid that 1 minute matters, but they do have rules for a reason. Work on your time management issues and you’ll be good to go.

22. DrGirlfriend says:

Not being to check-in 44 minutes before a flight, as opposed to 45, is not really something I’d consider part of the rules I agreed to when I bought the ticket. It seems excessive, although I agree that the computer system is likely to blame, rather than an agent simply not wanting to check you in.

Skirting the issue by asking to have your suitcase added at the gangplank is a risky maneuver, indeed. If it passes through security, and is not flagged as too big for carry-on at that point (which, as MercuryPDX, does happen at some airports), then I guess you’re probably fine. But lots of ifs come into play and your mileage may vary from airport to airport.

I find a 45 minute cut-off for checking in bags a bit excessive, in any case. I wonder if such measures have done any wonders for Delta’s on-time departure rates.

23. biblio26 says:

I agree that one should get to the airport on time and early enough to avoid this type of situation but everyone has had the bad luck to hit excessive traffic or have a reserved cab come on time. It’s not all about being lazy and not taking personal responsibility.

24. BigNutty says:

Get there early. What’s with people that show up at the last second for everything in their lives? Then they expect everyone to solve their problem immediately.

25. DrGirlfriend says:

(To clarify my post, I have never seen any kind of small print on my plane reservations saying “you can’t check bags after such a time” — and I scour those things every time, to make sure I’m aware of all i need to be aware of. So I wouldn’t necessarily consider it a given that at with 44 minutes to go, I couldn’t check bags.)

26. Captaffy says:

You have to check in your bag 45 minutes before the departure time of international flights (this includes flights to Canada) or 30 minutes before the departure time of domestic flights. Don’t like this rule? Don’t blame the airline – blame the government! Clearly TSA or Homeland Security or whomever has calculated these numbers as the mimimum amount of time needed to ensure that all checked luggage can be scanned before a plane’s departure.

27. Captaffy says:

I first heard about this rule when I avoided missing the cutoff by 3 minutes because my Air Canada flight was actually being serviced by United and I had gone to the wrong terminal.

28. seawall says:

So XTC, if you’d had something that tripped you up and made you late for your flight, you would have said “Gee Delta agent, thank you for being inflexible with your rules. I’d *gladly* take the later flight, since I’m as little as one second too late for my bag to not make it onto the plane. Please rebook me. And charge me more for flagrantly disobeying your rules.”

C’mon, the guy was a minute late. Airlines used to bend the rules all the time, making flying a less unpleasant experience.

Now if he were 10 mins before the flight, I’d say tough luck, but geez. One minute. Always remember, the rules are interpreted by thousands of workers differently. Just find another one. Someone will be a human and not a robot, just be sure to be courteous, yourself.

29. lemur says:

I believe the 45mins deadline is an airport requirement, not a requirement of the airline. The Delta was merely enforcing a requirement that JFK imposed upon them. See this page for evidence:

[www.delta.com]

If someone has some substantial information contradicting the above, please share.

BTW, I got to the above by Googling for “delta check in luggage” and reading the information and following relevant links. There was nothing particularly obscure or difficult to find. The lesson here is go to your airline web site before traveling to check what they luggage requirements are and check the requirements specific to the airports you are going to travel through.

30. ThomasD3 says:

If we have to be on time, shouldn’t we expect the same from the airline?

31. overbysara says:

sweet!

32. stormyk says:

Are those people who show up late and demand special handling (here, deal with my carryon) the same ones who will complain when the flight is late out of the gate (maybe because the ground crew is still loading all those last minute bags)?

33. JustAGuy2 says:

@CaffeinatedSquint:
    @Mell:

1. It’s a jetway, not a gangplank. This isn’t a ship.
    2. If it’ll go through the x-ray machine, it’s carry-on-able, or at least up to the flight attendants to stop you.

I only check if there’s no room in the bins, and I board early to make sure there is.

34. ianmac47 says:

When did we all just accept that flying must be a big hassle? Technology and money should have long ago meant showing up five minutes before takeoff and boarding an airplane. Instead, we have all come to accept overbooked flights, security lines, and other restrictions.

35. capitalass says:

@xtc46: Hmm, last I checked this place is consumerist not disgruntled_inflexible_agenterist. No offense to all the agents working the check in counter at the airport, unless, of course, you are as unyielding as our friend above.

It’s difficult to understand when people are so rigid with the seemingly arbitrary rules (at least when applied to the second) they enforce, esp. when it can really negatively affect the person in front of them.

I imagine that people like that are generally unsuccessful. Who would want to work with them, or hook them up in the future? What do you do xtc? jk. I’m sure you’re a champ given your personality.

36. agb says:

I can’t decide which I hate more: airports or malls.

37. Mr. Gunn says:

Thanks for the tip, which I can foresee using in the future.

38. redkamel says:

I believe one minute is within a reasonable margin or error.

39. MarkMadsen'sDanceInstructor says:

I would feel a little more sympathy if the rest of us didn’t arrive at the airport more than an hour early just so that the plane won’t be delayed more than it already is. If we had to wait for people to whine and cry about showing up late and then still get on, who knows when we would ever get on the plane.

40. kantwait says:

@JayP71: I’m pretty sure the computer will work anyway if they decide to override it, since Delta has done that for me before after the “set” time has passed.

41. Amy Alkon says:

@mgyqmb:

Uh, just because nobody is up for getting in your face and telling you you’re a jerk for hogging all the compartment space doesn’t mean “no one minds.”

42. getjustin says:

They tell you ahead of time how early you have to be there. Figure drive time, traffic, parking and add a 15-30 minute buffer. It’s no one’s fault but your own, and Delta (as craptastic as they may be) doesn’t owe you anything.

43. MercuryPDX says:

@ianmac47: Let’s see…. they shut down the airports for a day or so… so how about 9/13/2001?

Although things got a little worse around 1/18/2002.

Or maybe we can go back further to 10/24/1978 and find something which may have looked great 20 years later, but eventually led us to where we are today.

44. Dr.Ph0bius says:

@ianmac47: When we agreed to give up some of our freedom for a percieved (false) sense of security.

45. GrantGannon says:

This happened to me once at O’Hare. I went to check my bag in at a self-check 40 minutes prior to the flight. I was denied. I can’t really remember what I did. I either rebooked for a flight leaving 20 minutes later or I carried on. Either way, it was a quick fix. I took responsibility. I understand the need to have to set cutoff times for getting bags through security and on the plane.

46. tadowguy says:

I can’t imagine how difficult it is to tell a New Yorker that the world doesn’t revolve around them.

Next week on the Consumerist: “I didn’t pay $100 in income tax and the IRS is mad! Can you BELIEVE it! They should cut me some slack!”

47. Altdotweb says:

The ramp carts need to be somewhere other than waiting for bags after the cutoff.

48. peggyhill says:

@kantwait:

PERHAPS

49. GrantGannon says:

Also, there’s nothing in this post to suggest that a car wreck, stubbed toe, late Comcast installer or other act of God contributed to his lateness. I read this and think the guy figured he shouldn’t have to wait.

Another story. My girlfriend had a flight out of DFW on AA early on Monday morning. We left in what should have been plenty of time to get to the airport. 1 hour early arrival time, 20 minutes to the airport, 15 minutes to park and get out of the car…7:30 flight..we left at 6:00 am.

Didn’t foresee the traffic jam nor the ridiculous check in line. Was it AA’s fault when she missed her flight? Nope. They were moving, from what I could tell, as fast as they could to get people checked in. So when we got there a little behind there simply wasn’t enough time for her to make the flight.

We can debate the merits of the TSA, fluids and gels, baggage screening ad nauseam…but if the airline says 45 and you’re there 44..too bad.

50. akalish says:

I once had a problem getting to the airport and made it to the gate 15 minutes before takeoff (and the flight was on time). Granted, this was a few years ago, but not checking the guy in just seems sh*tty. When I was late for my flight, the airport staff actually cheered me on as I ran to the gate (no joke). As soon as I got on, they shut the plane door. Then again, I was flying Midwest Express (dba Midwest Airlines), possibly the only airline where every seat on every plane is first class. (I’m obsessed with them. I think it’s the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and the great food–they totally rock!).

51. glass says:

its a little known fact that airports have become more dificult to get through for a few years now. apparently there was some kind of terrorist attack? either way, turns out everyone and their grandmother knows to get to the airport early. last time i flew, i was told to be there at least an hour ahead of time for check-in. seems reasonable to me. a flight isnt usually something you rush to; most likely you know about it weeks or months ahead of time. you picked the time of the flight and bought the tickets.

so unless it was some type of emergency, being ‘one minute late’ is unacceptable in this day and age. you know what youre getting into when you buy the ticket.

52. glass says:

p.s. – when a slew of people on the Consumerist are defending the AIRLINE, you know you dont have a right to complain.

53. justinph says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t recall the last time I showed up at an airpot 2 hours early and it didn’t include 1 hour and 40 minutes of sitting around in the terminal being bored out of my skull because I couldn’t find a power outlet and wouldn’t pay $9 for slow wifi.

As far as I’m concerned the OP was just fine in this situation. They just want you captive for a good while.

54. edrebber says:

I wonder how anyone on standby can fly since they won’t have their baggage checked in time either?

55. silver-spork says:

@Edrebber: I only fly standby when I haven’t checked a bag. Then again, my home airport is PHL so I never check a bag.

You can fly standby if you check a bag, but your checked bag won’t be transferred to your earlier flight, negating the benefit of going standby in the first place.

56. majortom1981 says:

I am with the people who say just get there on time. there is no reason unless a hospital emergency not to be at the airport ontime.

I am in the NYC area and getting through security takes awhile just by itself. So getting to the airport 45 min before the flight leaves is cutting it real close.

57. btdown says:

Is it too hard for you to to get there 2 hours early like the recommend? Just like EVERYONE ELSE? What makes you so special?

58. JustAGuy2 says:

@edrebber:
    They don’t check baggage.

59. JustAGuy2 says:

@btdown:

You’re welcome to waste your time in airports. I choose not to. If you’ve never missed a flight, you’re spending too much time in airports. Personally, best airport experience I ever had was Rotorua in New Zealand. Arrive at counter at 10AM, checked in at 10:05, on the plane at 10:15, off the ground at 10:30. Had time to grab a coffee. No security lines at all (which might be a little much, but certainly was refreshing), and certainly none of this IDs/liquids/shoes/laptops garbage which, by making driving more appealing, is KILLING PEOPLE.

60. bobpence says:

The 45 minute cutoff should be a 44 minute cutoff! Wait, it should be 43 minutes! 42! The answer, as always, is 42!

I optimistically assume the cutoff is 60 minutes and that there is 15 miutes of leeway.

61. Covaluxx says:

The OP must not fly much. Because this is stupid. I flew 50 weeks a year for two years. And you have to always show up early….way early. And so help me had he gotten stopped for a random security search; this post wouldnt even be here.

62. bigduke says:

Although people are surely correct that this is not an airline policy, but rather an airport or FAA policy, I agree. However, Airlines have reduced their gate and check in staffs to crazy small levels. This causes lines to be much longer and incidents like this that used to be handled by a supervisor, to be ignored.

In the last few years I have seen on more than 3 occasions a gate agent call the police to settle a dispute with a customer. These disputes all could have been handled by an airline spuervisor. The problem is that airlines understaff so much no that there are no supervisors. So airlines move the cost of conflict resolution onto local law enforcement.

My larger point is that the penny pinching ways of this industry have led to a terrible customer experience. You can lay blame on anyone else all that you want, but as usual this is all part of the money game and consumers are the one that loose out inthe form of crappy service and cattle car mentality.

The air travel experience is great is long as you look and act like a piece of cargo and not a human.

63. beccamanns_theotherwhitemeat says:

tom coughlin approves

64. specialed5000 says:

@JustAGuy2: Sure we do. I regularly check bags when I have a later flight but am on standby for an earlier one. Usually the counter agents will check my bags on the earlier flight, so that even if I don’t get on it then they will, and will be waiting for me when I arrive.

65. gsmumbo says:

I agree with a good majority of the posts above me. If you are on time, you would not have this problem. Yes it was only by one minute, but like I am sure most people have heard before… “five minutes early is on time. On time is late.” This proves it perfectly. If you are just “on time” then you run the risk of being one minute late. At that point, yes the computers probably hit the cut off time.

66. jeff303 says:

@xtc46: Yep I’m most inclined to believe this explanation. I was once trying to buy alcohol at a store that stopped selling at 12:00. She scanned it at 12:01 and I couldn’t buy because the computer refused to process it.

67. corthepirate says:

Something similar happened to me. I was standing in line for the self-check in kiosks with United, and I was supposed to be next, but the attendant directed the people behind me in line (they didn’t speak English) to the next kiosk. I was pissed. When I got up to the kiosk, it didn’t work, and I asked the attendant to help me, and she said I was a minute late and missed my flight. Then instead of rebooking me, she directed to a telephone where I was put on hold, and when someone finally picked up, told me they couldn’t help me and I needed to talk to the attendant. The attendant, by the way, could barely speak English as well, and when she tried typing in my confirmation codes, she was typing in my American Airlines code for my return flight. Stupid stupid woman. I was finally able to find someone with a little common sense, and he was able to rebook me for a better flight than I was originally booked for in the first place.

68. SadSam says:

I get so annoyed with the people who show up late (for no good reason) and ask to cut ahead in the security line, special treatment, hold up the plane, etc. I know sometimes stuff happens but I think most of these people just show up late and they figure out that if they show up late they can cut the line, etc. I with the rules were better enforced and if you were late (unless you had a note from your doctor) you didn’t get any special treatment and you got stuck. Pretty soon people would learn to show up on time.

69. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

I had something kinda similar happen to me, I was flying out of a smaller airport and the flight was leaving at 6:35am. Well when I get to the airport at 4:45 it is closed. As in no one is there but security. I talked to one of the security guys and was told they didn’t open the airport till 6am. I was freakin out because I would only have 35 min to get my ticket, check bags and go thru security. Luckily a airline employee came in right on time and I was the first person in line so I made it. What was weird was the flight was supposed to be full but I saw only about a 1/3rd of the seats were taken. I guess there were a lot of no shows or late arrivals.

70. Atlantys says:

@BigNutty: Agreed. I cant stand people who are constantly late, and then bitch about how they cant get stuff done.

You know, if you leave the house a little earlier, maybe you wont run into this problem again.

I’ve learned to add a +10 minutes adjustment whenever my friend says he’ll show up.

71. Treved says:

I can’t believe I’m the first to say it, but:

WHY NOT CHECK IN ONLINE???

72. richcreamerybutter says:

@xtc46: Exactly. Not only is the computer cutoff time a possibility, but a check-in agent is only a small part of an overall process designed to keep things running smoothly. It’s entirely possible an agent might be reprimanded for allowing too many bags to be processed too much time after the “official” cutoff. Besides, are they supposed to makes exceptions for one minute? 5? 10? When does it end?

Also, what if the poster’s watch was off by a few minutes?

73. MercuryPDX says:

@Treved: It makes no difference to Delta.

[www.delta.com]

74. capitalass says:

Should a person really automatically miss a flight because they are running late (in this case for a reason we don’t know)? Is this a process that keeps things running smoothly? I don’t think that most people consider airport experiences to be characterized as smooth for a variety of reasons, but recent airline policy has certainly not helped to smooth it over.

When people stick so fervently to policies that can be easily circumvented, esp. with assistance from a supervisor or another agent, then the initial unhelpful and unbending employee who sticks to that policy with such dedication is doing a major disservice to others. People do not have to be automated just because technology is going in that direction. It is what differentiates us from the machines seem to be controlling us. As far as I am concerned, the agent, in this instance, could just be replaced by an electronic kiosk, as he offers no additional benefit to the consumer.

I recently had a FedEx delivery that was scheduled to be delivered to me. FedEx claimed that the package was mislabeled and could not be delivered to me, so I would have to pick it up. When I spoke with the first rep. she said that she would have it relabeled and sent to me the next day. Unfortunately, the package was not relabeled, and I called in today.

When I spoke with a new rep. today, he indicated that I could only pick it up, and by FedEx policy, the company could not send the package to a different address from that which the item was labeled to be delivered. He did not give me another alternative. I indicated that the policy had already been misrepresented by at least one agent, and they should just deliver the package to me. He would not budge. I finally requested to speak with his supervisor, who said that the package was already being processed to be delivered despite my call! Apparently there was such a volume of requests that FedEx just could not process mine until I called. The second agent was so entrenched in policy that he could not even check that.

The second agent who I spoke with adamantly stuck to his policy claim without suggesting any alternatives. I wasted my time before a holiday on the phone (when I just as easily could have been wasting it here!). That employee has now received a complaint. I’m sure it won’t do much for him, but it’s been quite a waste of time for me. Incidentally, I called the company, from which I ordered the package, and they claimed that the label was processed correctly. Newegg will now call FedEx to complain as well.

So the person who arrived at the airport late should have been on time (and given the benefit of doubt, we can assume that he attempted to be there on time), but he was one minute late for check in. He would not hold up the plane due to his tardiness (another assumption, but I think a fair one). Should a person really be punished to the degree that he cannot fly to his destination as a result of one minute?

Some of you are really unforgiving, esp. given the one minute variable. People are becoming so formulaic that it is difficult to even interact with them. I feel like it takes the humanity out of life to operate so stringently, but it’s pretty clear that a number of posters here feel that travel, at least, should be that way. I hope that you don’t take that further in life.

Honey, You were one minute late for dinner. You will have to wait until tomorrow before you have the opportunity to eat again…

Wow, that was a really long post. Happy Thanksgiving; make sure to get to your destinations on time; otherwise, the holiday could be taken away from you.

75. seanSF says:

A “gangplank”? Heh. Avast, ye scurvy passengers. The bloomin’ bag may not inflate even though oxygen is flowing to it, mateys. Arrrr!

It’s a “jetway”.

76. grumpymo says:

You know it’s vastly amusing to read all the comments complaining that the poster didn’t give a reason for being late to the airport, when previous browsing indicates he would have gotten nailed for posting the reason.

This merely seemed like a pretty useful tip for dealing with a bag you didn’t want to carry-on when missing the deadline. It would still be useful to know if you had gotten to the gate and decided you didn’t want to lug your carry-on through the aisle at 44 mins before your flight or as you were boarding.

77. clickable says:

@mgyqmb:

I fly with you all the time, and I mind. Now I know who the smug little twerp with the misplaced sense of entitlement and his girlfriend are. Did you really think no one noticed that you and your girlfriend taking up most of an overhead bin with your backpacks and that it doesn’t bother other passengers? I’d love to take my rolling suitcase on board with me, but I don’t, because them’s the rules.

78. msgotrox says:

@mgyqmb:
    “…usually no one minds.” Correction: usually no one says anything to you. We mind.

Do you think none of your fellow passengers ever had the brilliant insight to bring 50l of their personal belongings into the cabin of the plane? Did you just figure you were smarter than everyone else? We mind a lot.

79. doireallyneedausername says:

@xtc46:

I remember on one episode of A&E’s “Airline,” two business partners were trying to check-in very close to the 20-minute cut off time at SWA. One person was ticketed at 20 minutes and 1 second and the other person was ticketed at 19 minutes and 59 seconds. The flight was oversold and one business partner got bumped b/c she didn’t make the cut-off time. The gate agents were at a loss for an explanation until they examined the ticket closer, and realized what happened. The duo decided to wait for the next flight, but was visibly upset.

Moral of the story…every second counts!

80. girlontheqm1a says:

Yeah, it sucks to have to take a later flight if you’re late. I don’t want to wait around airport terminals for ages, either, but in NY I always leave way, way early because the lines are long for everything. I bring a book, get coffee and breakfast, and relax. Time goes fast.

Once we were standing in a long, long security line and some cute young women — who were way behind us and, I assume, had arrived late — were moved to the front of the line. They were on the same flight as ours! People in line on that flight started griping loudly, but, as you know, you can’t cause a fuss or you’ll be arrested. We all got on, but I was pretty angry… if you’re going to help people in the back of the line make thier flights, make sure there aren’t still people in the front and middle of the lines first.

I don’t really have sympathy for the late arrivals; 45 minutes is cutting it close. For my own self-preservation I would NEVER arrive that close to a flight. And it is the fault of too few employees on duty, combined with idiotic Homeland Security rules.

It may be they would love to bend the rules but are afraid of getting their heads bitten off by the other customers who are just as aggrevated by delays and AREN’T getting any help.