Find Out Who Keeps Calling

Here’s three sites you can use when you want to find out more information about a number that’s calling you. Maybe it’s a telemarketer, recording, or a harassing caller, chances are, they’re targeting others. At these sites, you can enter the phone number from your caller ID and see if other citizens are sharing intel about the number. People find their way to the sites either directly, or by Googling the number and stumbling across the site.

whocalled.us
www.800notes.com
numberzoom.com

Numberzoom seems to be the least trafficked of the sites, but it offers a great promise by providing a whole Wikipedia-like system visitors can use to build up a compendium of knowledge about each number.

If you’re just curious, or maybe you’re trying to piece together names and addresses to file an official complaint, these sites are a place to start to track down who’s on the other end of the phone line.

[via TracNotes]

(Photo: Lazy_Lightning)

Comments

1. itsgene says:

If only my iPhone would automatically look up the calling number using one of these sites and display the information as it is ringing!
    As it is, I never answer calls from numbers I don’t know, and then I look them up using whocalled.

2. clickertrainer says:

I find telemarketers usually use the phone number “Unavailable”. OTOH, my telemarketers these days are the police, fire dept, and PBS. Others have stopped calling. Mostly. I can’t get PBS to stop though.

3. matvey says:

You can also just type a phone number into Google, and it’ll return the information, provided it exists in the known universe.

4. Amelie says:

@matvey: NO! Google does not tell you who telemarketers are. But google can on occasion, link you to the aforementioned sites in the article. whocalled.us is the one that generally comes up, but most of the time, I have to go to their site.

5. QWGHLM says:

@matvey: Also, Google doesn’t do cell numbers. What about harassing callers that call from a cell phone?

Better yet, what about harassing callers that call from other countries? I’ve become great call-screening buddies with 767-613-9077 a drunk guy from the island of Dominica.

He’ll call 15+ times a day for a week or so, be silent for a few months, then start the routine again. Can Sprint block that number from calling me? Of course not. But they can change my number, which isn’t a hassle at all…

6. marsneedsrabbits says:

@matvey:
    Google doesn’t do cell numbers, numbers of people or companies who have asked to be removed (there is a way to get your number removed from Google), and people who have VOIP may not be googleable, either.

7. I love those services. I generally only pick up strange numbers if they’re in my area code (and even then I google really fast so I can see if I can get a directory listing before I do). If they’re out-of-area and I don’t know the number, it’s almost certainly a telemarketer. (Or, since my phone is also a business phone, a B2B service provider of useless, pointless, bizarre, scammy services I have zero interest in.) And doesn’t leave a message. And if it’s a real person, they leave a message and I can call back!

8. LSonnenhimmer says:

I have used whocalled.us many times, that has about 75% success rate for me. Once I confirm a known telemarketer I just block the number (YAY voip) and never hear from them again.

9. Dr_awesome says:

I rarely answer calls from numbers I don’t know and I never use any of these services. Ignorance is bliss, people.

10. emona says:

I am DYING for a service that can identify rogue cell phone users that ring my line.

11. junkmail says:

AHA! Finally got those GMAC bastards!!! MWUAHAHAHA

12. Parting says:

@QWGHLM: Next time explain the drunk guy that he can save the money he wastes on calling you and go get a trip to Los Angeles for example:)

13. GearheadGeek says:

@clickertrainer: Since 2004 commercial telemarketers haven’t been allowed to hide behind “unavailable.” They’re required to transmit the caller ID info, and having equipment that’s not capable of transmitting caller ID info (some crappy ancient PBX for example) doesn’t exempt them from the requirement. If you’re feeling pissy, just answer the phone and demand to know who they are and how to contact them so you can report them to the FTC. There’s probably no penalty (there’s none spelled out in the article at [www.ftc.gov]) but it’s worth hassling them just for fun.

14. uricmu says:

@clickertrainer: You mean the “association of policemen”, “association of firemen” and so on, which prey on the idea that you’ll either feel obligated to these brave men or that you’ll be worried that they wouldn’t help you next time you need them?

15. dirk1965 says:

I can guarantee you clickertrainer that your local police officers or firemen don’t see a penny of that money. Ever see those stickers on the backs of vehciles ’100 Club’ ect. where the person has donacted money to the police? Well… thats a scam too. I have personal friends that are highway patrolmen and local police officers, and both have stated that if they were to choose between vehicles (one with the sticker, one without), they will stop the one flaunting the stickers. These people ‘think’ it buys them some type of protection if they get stopped… SO WRONG!!! So any of you that have those stickers on your cars… be warned!

16. howie_in_az says:

@itsgene: Wouldn’t that be awesome? Just a Simple Matter of Code(tm)(R).

17. meeroom says:

I never give money to the Police or Fireman’s people that call on the phone. My local volunteer fire department sends stuff in the mail, so I’ll send them a check, but I always felt almost like I was being threatened by a wiseguy or something when they’d call on the phone, so I just started telling them no thank you and hanging up.