Don’t buy a house near an airport: a Swedish study has found a correlation between living near noisy airports and “an elevated risk of high blood pressure due to noise pollution.” [Reuters]

Comments

1. GreatCaesarsGhost says:

Also, don’t touch a hot stove.

Good work, Consumerist.

2. kenposan says:

meh. I live near an airport, you learn to not hear it. And actually, I freak out when I DON’T hear the familiar hum of engines on the tarmac. (9/11 was really creepy).

3. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@GreatCaesarsGhost: Oh, poor, poor you. Your life must be pretty bland if that sort of thing is worth whining about.

4. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@kenposan: I’d a hundred times rather deal with airport noise, or even train noise, than with my noisy apartment neighbors.

5. bohemian says:

We lived near an airport shared with the air guard and the commercial terminal. The commercial flights were usually not much of a bother. That is with the exception of the early evening Fed Ex plane that would strafe our house every night.
    The only real bother was the air guard fighter jets would do maneuvers a couple of times a week that involved coming in at low altitude. It would literally knock things off walls and shelves.

My stress level dropped when we moved. I’m sure the pit bulls running the neighborhood and the bi-weekly police standoff down the road might have contributed to my angst.

6. DeeJayQueue says:

Want something that will make your blood pressure jump a few points? Try living near a fire station. I grew up across the street from one, and I live less than a block from one now. At least the planes at an airport take off and land with relative frequency and predictability.

Except for Tuesday night at 7pm, I don’t know when the fire siren or ambulance siren is going off. Then there’s the impending knuckleheads driving too fast in their cars with blue lights on them to get to the station, followed by the fire truck or ambulance itself. It’s all well and good, I’m for it if it gets someone’s house put out or keeps an accident victim alive longer. And it’s gotten better over the years, mostly it’s done over pagers now. Still though, at 2am the last thing you want is to be woken out of a sound sleep by that hot mess.

7. TechnoDestructo says:

No, don’t buy a house near an airport. Buy one near a racetrack. Then complain about the noise you knew would be there when you bought the place and get it shut down.

8. Bryan Price says:

I live near NAS Jacksonville. With all the Orions flying around, you really don’t hear them. But it’s not going to be too long before they get replaced with 737s, and that’s when it’s liable to get louder with the jets over the prop engines.

9. CurbRunner says:

You’d be amazed how many people knowingly buy a house near an airport then decide to complain about the noise after they’ve moved in. If they’re stupid enough to buy a home under an approach or departure pattern for runways, they deserve the sounds they get.

10. badgeman46 says:

Its all relative to what you whine about. I live close to JAX international, and planes go right over my house, however; I am an air traffic controller and a pilot, and love planes. What really gets my blood pressure up is the Eurotrash that drives by blasting bad techno out of his VW.

11. RossC says:

A Simple pictogram should be posted by each item on the menu.

Single Hamburger no cheese: Slender person
    Double Cheeseburger: Obese person

Small Fries: Slender person
    Biggie Fries: Obese person

Salad: Slender person

Dressings: Mayov:Obese
    Oil and Vinegar: Obese
    Ranch: Obese
    Lemon: Slender

12. RossC says:

Kinda like Geranimals but not really. You decide on how you want to look. No number just pictures.

13. Robobot says:

The planes aren’t so bad. You get used to them in no time. However, I was unlucky enough to live next to Dullas International Airport for several years. Starting on September 11, 2001, Blackhawk helicopters would fly over my house every night and sometimes at other hours. I never got used to that noise.

We moved into the No-Fly Zone in 2003, but they loooosened the restrictions A LOT a few months ago and we get planes over our new house now. I honestly don’t pay any mind to them, it’s like they don’t exist. And my blood pressure? Low.