3 Ways To Call 411 For Free

Here’s three free ways to get directory assistance without paying a dime.

1-800-GOOG-411
1-800-CALL-411
1-800-FREE-411 (requires listening to a short ad)

Carrying out phone books for every state is great for building muscles, but it can be a bit problematic when if your daily travels include going through revolving doors.

(Photo: Jeremy Brooks)

Comments

1. morganlh85 says:

I’ve used Goog 411 a few times, and I like it a lot.

2. missdona says:

Also, if you say “map it” on your search result at Goog-411, they send a cute little text message to your phone with the details and link to the map.

3. melmoitzen says:

I think all these services have a “free connect” option. So if you’re still paying by-the-call for long distance, you can request a number you already know to make the call for free.

4. homerjay says:

@melmoitzen: So, if I pay for long distance service from my land-line, I can call goog-411 and NOT pay long distance charges?

I’ve been using free-411 for a while on my cell but all those ads are annoying. I think I’ll switch to goog.

5. ptkdude says:

I laugh out loud each time I hear the “searching” sound on GOOG-411.

6. char says:

I’ve been using free 411 for a while, but they seem to be missing some cities. Such as Fairfield and Vacaville in CA.

7. bradanomics says:

I always just do a search on my web enabled phone in google and it provides a link to the phone number that I can dial to. Works very well.

8. AbstractConcept says:

1-800-FREE-411 works, but it takes forever and sometimes multiple calls to get the right number… Don’t bother, I’m going to try the other two from now on. I def trust google more.

9. juri squared says:

I’m partial to text messaging GOOGL with the name/city/state, but I like this!

10. TeraGram says:

What I seriously love about Google is they connect you. With 1-800-FREE-411 you have to write down the number. When I’m tooling down the freeway (hands-free set on, of course!) I can’t write down the number! I can say “Text it” and they send the info to me, which I add into my phone’s db at my next opportunity.

Great stuff.

I love you, Google!

11. TeraGram says:

Just to be clear, I meant Google will text it, not Free 411.

One downside about Goog411, they only have businesses. If you want residential listings, Free411 seems to be the way to go. 1-800-CALL-411 also only has business listings.

One other thing, 1-800-CALL-411 is a Microsoft product.

12. Confuzius says:

411 Is pretty much the only reason I still use “pay phones” I’ll save myself $0.75 by stopping at the nearest pay phone to use 411 for free. (At least in Canada it works that way) While they recite the number to me I’m punching it into my cell phone.

13. mthrndr says:

It’s weird, I tried goog411 on September 5. I got a short ad and then it disconnected. This happened twice.

14. Crazytree says:

Only problem with Google is that you can’t get “toll-free” numbers.

If someone knows how, please let me know.

The computer just says “what city/state” and I can’t figure out how to get info on 800 numbers.

15. Lyrai says:

@Crazytree:
    If it’s anything like the 411 Info database I use at work, say any major city. Los Angeles CA, New York NY, etc.

16. yetiwisdom says:

Great tip – I’ve been using these 3 for a while now – I just set up a number in my cell address book under “Free” with the 3 numbers listed under Work1, Work2 and Home1. While I like Google 411 they still need some work. I’ve found that it will not recognize certain words properly regardless of how you pronounce them &/or at what speeds. There’s also 1-800-411-SAVE (ad supported).

While on the topic of phone svcs – I love Jott – a free service whereby you can call a number and leave a message that their system will then transcribe and email to you (or to someone in your address book). Great for “notes to self.”

17. ribex says:

@Crazytree: Last I checked, toll-free information can be had by calling 1-800-555-1212.

@ptkdude: Meeee too! I also like how there are different voices for the initial “Goog 411″ when you call.

18. Anonymous says:

If you like rude, inaccurate, and time consuming, than 1-800-CALL-411 may be the service for you. The “map-it” feature on the GOOG-411 is th’ awesome though.