Double B Foods Recalls 98,000 Pounds Of Sausages On Fears Of Listeria

Double B Foods is recalling 98,000 pounds of their pastry-covered smoked sausage rolls called Kolaches on fears that they may be contaminated with listeria. Listeria monocytogenes is a nasty bug that can kill babies and the elderly, while leaving everyone else stricken with fever, headaches, nausea, diarrhea and other assorted abdominal pains. A full list of affected products and states, after the jump.

The Kolaches were sold in 12 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Texas.

Double B Brand Products

Julian Code
Brand/Product Name
Product Description

• 7302
    Smoky.s Sausage Roll w/ Cheddar
    Sausage and Cheese

Concerned customers can call Double B foods for more information at: (866) 966-4661.

Double B Foods recalls sausage rolls in 12 states [Reuters]
SMOKED SAUSAGE ROLLS RECALLED ACROSS TWELVE STATES FOR POSSIBLE HEALTH RISK (Press Release) [Double B Foods]

Comments

1. Parting says:

I learned a new disease today ! Didn’t even know it existed, before this post.

2. Parting says:

Really tackles the question : what’s in my food tonight?

What kind of disease will I get by eating this fast-food.

Welcome food’s version of Russian roulette.

3. sled_dog says:

In my past experience even untainted Kolaches cause fever, headaches, nausea, diarrhea and other assorted abdominal pains.

4. @sled_dog: but they didn’t have the added benefit of killing off the elderly. am i missing something? why are they recalling this?

5. trollkiller says:

I love kolaches, good to know I can get them at HEB.

6. twonewfs says:

In 1998 Sara Lee hot dogs and deli meat killed off at least 15 people with listeria- more than the Washington sniper got. The upside was great coupons for a while!

7. Mills says:

Finally, a recall this vegetarian doesn’t have to worry about.

8. JackHandey says:

I am not an expert on the meatpacking industry, but in general, isn’t it odd that a company can’t pin down a contamination issue any better than a 13 day window (Oct 25-Nov 6)? Does this mean that they are testing infrequently?

I really hope that issues like this and the Topps recall of 21.7 ->million<- pounds of beef will cause management to wake up and start sampling more frequently instead of risk giant recalls.

9. I don’t see what the problem is with this food coming with listerine. It probably covers up the sausage breath you get when you eat it.

10. timmus says:

Holy cow, another recall with umpteen different labels and brands slapped on it. What do we got here… Double B, HEB, Southern Heritage, Wheeler, and Smokys.

Eventually the meat industry is going to just have one giant vat in Pittsburgh grinding out meat for the entire country. And Soylent Green won’t be far behind.

11. SteveBMD says:

Actually, the item should really read: “Double B Foods is recalling 98,000 pounds of their pastry-covered smoked sausage rolls called Kolaches because they’re pastry-covered smoked sausage rolls.” Yikes. Completely unappetizing even without the Listeria.

12. SaveMeJeebus says:

Looks like good ol’ boy Randy Taylor’s options just got slimmed down.

13. synergy says:

My husband had almost bought some of those earlier in the day that the local news came out with the story for this recall. What was funny is that the news was saying that the local chain had told them that the items had already been pulled, but that wasn’t true since he’d almost bought them that same day. Too bad it didn’t occur to me until just right now that we should’ve gone straight over to the store and snapped a pic to disprove that lie.

14. Hoss says:

Double B Sausage in a Blanket is very very wrong — never mind the crinke fries behind it…

15. TangDrinker says:

And here I thought Kolach were sweet, danish-like Czech pastries. Good to know that they’ve been bastardized and made more dangerous here in the good ol’ US of Listeria.

16. BigNutty says:

I think I better just stick to McD’s. Seems safer these days. It may make you fat, but you die a lot slower this way.

17. formergr says:

Ugh, these look pretty nauseating in the picture– I think it’s the sort of greyish tinge of the meat that’s doing me in, with the not-cheddar oozing out of it…

And I’m not even a vegetarian!

18. Omi says:

With all the recalls coming out of the meat industry, and only the odd few out of the produce industry I think this is a great time to start considering going vegan.

Moar mashed potaters plz!

19. savvy999 says:

@SaveMeJeebus: LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Randy just loaded up his deep freeze with about a dozen boxes of these infected kolaches, and now someone is gettin’ a phone call.

20. lockdog says:

What’s even stranger is apparently these things are eaten for breakfast. At least that’s how it seems in Houston, where my parents now live. They buy a tray of these things (from a local bakery, at least) and heat and serve them when there is company in town. I mean, to me they aren’t much more than a hot dog in a really sweet bun, but hot dogs and coffee at 8 in the morning (when you know its going to be 90 degrees outside in another hour)…that’s just bizarre.

21. ekthesy says:

@Hossofcourse:

I believe those are meant to be carrots. However, after eating the items in the foreground, no amount of vegetable, be it potato or carrot, will be able to save you.

22. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@lockdog: Mmmmm Kolaches! Those things rock when you get them fresh at the baker. I spent a few months in Houston for work and I got hooked on them. Now if I can find some out here in Cali….after the recall is over of course. I liked the bacon and cheese ones the best…

23. rickhamilton620 says: