Google Ready To Bid In Wireless Auction, Says WSJ

Google ready to bid on a part of the 700MHz wireless spectrum says the Wall Street Journal. A Google spokesperson told the WSJ that it would officially announce its intentions by the Dec 3 deadline but:

“In the meantime, we are making all the necessary preparations to become an applicant to bid,” he said. “Our goal is to make sure that American consumers have more choices in an open and competitive wireless world,” the spokesman added

The WSJ also speculates that Google could become a carrier:

Meanwhile, back at its headquarters, Google is already operating an advanced high-speed wireless network under a test license from the FCC, according to people familiar with the matter. The company has erected transmission towers on its campus for the network. Prototype mobile handsets powered by the Android software are currently running on it.

Experience with the technology could aid the company in operating a full-fledged carrier, one of the options it’s considering. Google is betting it could potentially build and operate a wireless network faster and cheaper than traditional operators.

Google phone, Google phone! (or Android, Android, whatever.)

Google Has Even Bigger Plans for Mobile Phones [WSJ via Wired]

Comments

1. axiomatic says:

OK, I realize that Google as a “carrier” would me advertising out the wazoo, but I can’t help but hope they succeed because I feel that our existing carriers (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, whatever) deserver the severe losses they are all going to have if Google brings the 700MHz spectrum to life.

2. rewind says:

Google has already shown an affinity towards getting in the phone business with their purchase of GrandCentral. I can’t help but believe google would spread its business model as far as it could reach. 10 Years ago if someone would have told me Apple will make a cell phone I wouldn’t believe it either.

I am just waiting for the moment when they get large enough for the DoJ to decide they are too big (ie MS or Bell).

3. Beerad says:

Competition = hooray for consumers! (well, generally)

4. EricBrian says:

So very cool! :) I can’t wait to ditch my iPhone and get the GooglePhone. :)

5. MBZ321 says:

Hey, as long as the price is competitive (and it will have to be if they want to compete at all), i’m in! Maybe it will give me a reason to ditch my prepaid t-mobile

6. rolla says:

i hope google doesnt act like the others and lock their phones and act like jerkoffs with their CS department. I hope they are the total opposite and show the others how cell phone operators should be.

7. XTC46 says:

@rolla: you will never find a CS department that doesn’t get complaints. The fact is, you can’t make everyone happy and stay in business if you are a large organization. People make mistakes and think they should be given special treatment, when they don’t get it they go screaming and saying its “bad customer service”

8. rwakelan says:

@rewind: actually, this is a completely different field. It would be growing vertically (growing in different segments) rather than vertically (growing in the same segment, generally mergers / acquisitions) so the DOJ should have no problem with it. I mean, look at GE. They are absolutely huge, but not really in one segment. They do banking, media, manufacturing, etc. Since they are in different fields, nobody cares how big they get.