Behold The $54,995 2002 Dodge Neon

Reader and commenter PAConsumerist alerts us to the deal of the century: A 2002 Dodge Neon for only $54,995 from Del Toyota of Thorndale, PA. We heard a rumor that it was previously owned by Jon Voight.

If $54,995 is too much to spend on the coveted 2002 Neon, consider Del Toyota’s $46,995 2003 Dodge Neon.

2002 DODGE NEON SXT $54,995
2003 DODGE NEON SXT $46,995

Comments

1. Quellman says:

Yes. The seat comes pre-stained.

2. GiselleBeardchen says:

Gee, slow day at the ‘rist, huh?

3. namenomore says:

Not that Jon Voight.

4. Hanke says:

Scrap value is still higher…

5. morganlh85 says:

??!?!?!

I hope you’ve contacted Del Toyota for an explanation!!! I’d love to hear this one.

6. IFoughtThePope-ThePopeWon says:

I just emailed the dealer asking if they would accept a 2008 Dodge Caliber (Neon’s replacement) bought new for around $20K as a trade in. Let’s see if they get back to me.

7. vr4z06gt says:

its intentional, look how much free advertising you just gave them, not to mention the gag posts on FW and SD. A lot of companies do this to get your email address then cancel your order because of “an error in their system”. However here it is just to get the name out there.

8. dmolavi says:

damn, i’m getting an OLE error from the submission script when i ask them “WTF?!?!!”

9. katzeroo says:

I was under the impression that these Neons were considered hot stuff back in the day because you got a ton of bang for the buck for the 20K or so it originally went for. I dont know about 54K though. Maybe if Trump decks it out with gold covered pedal shifters and so forth.

10. homerjay says:

WOw, the Jon Voight car. Are their bite marks in the pencil in the glove box, too?

11. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@GiselleBeardchen:

If you have some ideas for good posts, please feel free to send them to tips@consumerist.com.

12. edebaby says:

Come on, it should be obvious that this is just a decimal out of place. The likely price is $5,499. Just some dope entering the data for the ad.

13. Starfury says:

I had a Dodge Neon…check engine light was ALWAYS coming on for various issues. After the 3 yr warranty expired I took it to a real mechanic who fixed the problem by replacing the distributor part. Car ran great after than w/ no problems.

14. timmaah says:

No idea why this made the consumerist.

Kind of interesting to me though as this was my old job.. I worked for the company that hosts the dealers website.

Most of the time, the vehicles are pulled directly from the dealer DMS or sent to the website company via csv file from the dealer or a 3rd party. Inventory is also sent out nightly to sites like phillycars, so the price error just goes on down the line. This happens a bunch in both directions and is not news worthy.

These files are mostly updated nightly, so if the dealer is alerted, it will be fixed tomorrow.

Same cars same price on dealer site:
    [www.delautogroup.com]

15. FLConsumer says:

@edebaby: They did it twice ‘though…

16. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

Hmm after driving my sister in law’s 03 Neon I think thats the amount they are willing to pay to get you to take it off thier hands…

17. wring says:

lol wtf

18. boxjockey68 says:

I have a Neon for sale if anyone wants it…..

19. Sucko-T says:

I paid $8699 for my brand new Neon in 2002. I never thought it would be such a good investment.

20. Nytmare says:

Something like a 2002 AMG convertible really does cost $54995. How curious that two different hunks of metal and plastic of roughly the same size, same age, with the same number of parts, and both accomplishing the same basic task, can have a 10-fold difference in price.

21. bigsss says:

I just checked the website and the prices are still listed. You would think that someone would have double checked the accuracy before posting. And to top it off, no one has corrected the error. I am assuming it is an error! Poorly run operation.

22. ninjatales says:

I think they made a mistake with that decimal point. Should be at least 1 spot ahead. Maybe 2 depending on the condition.

23. Parting says:

@IFoughtThePope-ThePopeWon: Not if they read consumerist.

24. Craig says:

Should have been $549.95.

25. IFoughtThePope-ThePopeWon says:

A dealer rep emailed me back, very enthusiastic about making the deal and getting the 2008 Dodge Caliber in trade that I claimed to have. He obviously didn’t get it.

I was thinking about emailing him back something along the lines of: “I am debating between getting a brand new BMW Z4 or the ’02 Neon with 80k miles on it as advertised. Both are about the same price, but the Z4 is not available in beige, which is my favorite color.” I’m not going to though because I feel kind of bad about wasting the guy’s time.

26. adrock75 says:

Dude, it’s got a spoiler, though!
    That’s what the kids like.

27. itmustbeken says:

I sent them an email asking of they would consider taking $51,000 for it, no response.

I’m probably low balling them, but it never hurts to try.

28. Robert Isbell says:

okay, whatever medication they have been given must be really good if it turns a old Neon into a almost $100,000.00 car.

29. Dr.Ph0bius says:

@Consumerist Moderator – ACAMBRAS: That seemed like a rather snide reply. She has a point… Honestly, is running a story based on an error newsworthy here now? Arent we trying to bring light to attempts to mislead and take advantage of consumers?

It seems like this site has taken on a slight National Enquirer air of late.

30. SpecialEd says:

The car wasn’t owned by Jon Voight, the actor. It was owned by John Voight, the dentist.

31. mthrndr says:

Everyone is talking at me / I can’t hear a word they’re sayin’ / ridin’ around in Jon Voight’s car

32. TTFK says:

The second car linked has since had it’s price corrected to $4995.