Macy's Contaminated With Giant Furry E. Coli

Here’s the perfect gift for your favorite little Consumerist reader! A giant stuffed e. coli bacterium.

Peter writes:

I was shopping at Macy’s in Chicago today to return a baby blanket. I was near the children’s toy section and noticed this unusual toy. I’m not sure if I want my 3 year old daughter to play with a stuffed Ebola doll.

Here is the verbiage from the giantmicrobes.com website. They don’t mention e-coli but I have a picture of one.

“We make stuffed animals that look like tiny microbes–only a million times actual size! Now available: The Common Cold, The Flu, Sore Throat, Stomach Ache, Cough, Ear Ache, Bad Breath, Kissing Disease, Athlete’s Foot, Ulcer, Martian Life, Beer & Bread, Black Death, Ebola, Flesh Eating, Sleeping Sickness, Dust Mite, Bed Bug, and Bookworm (and in our Professional line: H.I.V. and Hepatitis).

Each 5-to-7 inch doll is accompanied by an image of the real microbe it represents, as well as information about the microbe.

They make great learning tools for parents and educators, as well as amusing gifts for anyone with a sense of humor!”

Flesh eating? Anyway, all we can say is that if someone was going to give us e. coli, this is the form we’d like the gift to take. Got that, Topps meat? Oh wait, you don’t exist anymore.

Giant Microbes

Comments

1. kellyhelene says:

These have been around for a while. My roommate has one.

2. trujunglist says:

These are about as cool as those poo and pee stuffed toys.. as in, not cool at all.

3. iamlost26 says:

Yeah I’ve been seeing these for years. I love them. They’re cute AND educational! ;)

Besides, people always want to know what their attackers look like.

4. DrGirlfriend says:

I saw these a couple of years ago, an HIV researcher friend of mine bought one.

I kinda want the Black Death doll.

5. faust1200 says:

Best marketing idea since the “AIDS” diet plan.

[www.noolmusic.com]

6. tadowguy says:

These are a hit in the brewing community since they have Yeast cells.

[www.giantmicrobes.com]

7. ribex says:

A year or two ago I requested that they make organelles (really wanted a mitochondrion) but they haven’t taken the hint yet.

8. Ickypoopy says:

I have Malaria, Ebola, and Mad Cow. They are pretty awesome.

9. pyloff says:

Ohhhh… Bed bug sounds intriguing.

10. alyssariffic says:

I love these. They’re cute. My boyfriend gave me HIV and Syphilis last year for christmas (only the plush kind).

11. magic8ball says:

These have been around for quite a while … I think I first saw them on ThinkGeek. I like them for the irony. So cute and soft and plushy – yet so deadly! Also it leads to fabulous conversations/comments like the above. “My SO gave me the plague this Christmas” just never gets old.

12. synergy says:

These have been around a while. I thought they were cool. Then again, I’m a biology nerd. :D

13. Buran says:

We have one of these here in the lab I work in… H. pylori. I think it was a gift to my boss for some help he provided (electron microscopy images of them).

14. Buran says:

@tadowguy: Yeast is also commonly used for biological studies as well as brewing.

15. Omi says:

So is this the Christmas gift you give to the kid who ate contaminated meat so the kid knows what’s making him sick, or the gift you send to the meat companies so the companies know what they’re trying to keep from contaminating the meat the sold to the kid?

16. kc-guy says:

My girlfriend’s really into these…she found them on thinkgeek…that and a periodic table shower curtain.

17. TPIRman says:

@trujunglist: Yeah, when I’m in the market for a stuffed animal, my number-one concern is always how cool it is.

18. mattbrown says:

nice… they need ebola and cholera to top it off.

19. Daemon_of_Waffle says:

I bought 2 of these from ThinkGeek. I have the yeast and I had the flu. I gave the flu to a friend, as she wanted it to remember me by.

20. caederus says:

Just bought the whole venereal disease line for my wife a week ago. But then she sees the real things with her patients every day.

21. drkkgt says:

they have ebola for sure. My son loves the common cold one and I have the brain cell hanging on my wall. This way when a luser walks in with a computer question, I just hand it to them.

22. vernal says:

Ebola? That’s a virus. Escherichia coli is a bacteria. And remember, kiddies–they’re everywhere. Just make sure your immune system’s up and running optimally.
    I love these furries though–cute, educational, and endearing to those in the healthcare/medical industry (a la myself).

23. hyperlexis says:

A Macy’s contaminated with bacteria? Well that isn’t really much news at all. What’s more newsworthy would be the fact that any Chicagoan would have even stepped foot inside a Macy’s (f/k/a Marshall Field’s) after everything that has happened here.

Maybe the Macy’s execs from Cincinnati should consider marketing plush toy versions of fruit flies? Display them near the Walnut Room and downstairs in the Marketplace.

Then leave our city.

24. hyperlexis says:

(But the toys are cute nevertheless)