Great Moments In Commercial History: Good Old Tom

Reader Marissa writes:

As a criminal defense attorney, I must say, I am extremely suspect of where all these heaps of “scrap gold” Tom’s customers have lying around came from.

Oh, wait, my suspicion appears to be well founded:

Halapin is in prison at the moment. He was sentenced in July to two years for breaking into his sister’s Naugatuck home and stealing the family’s jewelry to sell on the streets of Hartford – and at the TV-advertised “Good Ole Tom’s” precious-metal dealer in East Hartford.

There are some other versions of Tom’s commercials that I couldn’t find on YouTube,including my favorite of the creepy blond woman canoodling with her little piss and shake dog and talking about how lucky she is that her dead husband left behind all that scrap gold.

Well, that sounds terrifying.

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.

Comments

1. demonradio says:

Haha, Good Ole Tom. I haven’t seen one of those commercials in a while. I consider it a good night of TV watching when I see tons of the crazy local commercials.

I’m going to leave the house and get a life now. ;)

2. Go, Connecticut!

3. arkangel318 says:

Anyone who actually went to that place could qualify as legally insane. “Good Ole Tom” there practically radiates sleaziness.

I’ve seen the commercial with the woman and her dog. Maybe if she stopped spending money on the dog and bad hairdos, she wouldn’t have to stoop to pawning her inheritance.

4. faust1200 says:

Well at least I know what to do with “jooery” now.

5. loueloui says:

@faust1200:

This reminds me of this jeweler in the Orlando area. I forget the name, but for YEARS they had a big sign that announced ‘Jewery’. I thought I was the only one who ever noticed but then a local radio talk show host said something about it on the air and I think they fixed it.

6. drjayphd says:

Well, this just proves someone actually says “kin”. Who knew?

And they’re STILL running that ad with the woman and her dog… how long ago did that one come out, 1978?

7. B9433 says:

A similar commercial shows up here in Indiana all the time, the people always seem so happy to sell their jewelry for pennies on the dollar.

8. twoback says:

Or you can just put all your gold in the mail and send it to who knows where, with a Gold Kit!!

9. BigNutty says:

I laugh at those Gold Kit ads that have been appearing on TV lately.

Who would actually mail their gold in an envelope to someone they have no information about when they could easily go the their local coin and/or jewelry dealer and get paid based on the price of gold that day?

10. faust1200 says:

I looked up some of those “gold kit” companies on the web to check their prices. It turns out they pay very very little. Surprising, I know,

11. dirtymoney says:

As a guy who uses a metal detector, digging up gold & silver occationally, I dont trust the majority of the scrap gold companies…. especially the ones that dont generally tell you how much they pay you for your gold. “send in your gold & we will evaluate it & send you a check!”

EFF THAT! Hang onto your gold… it just gets more valuable as time goes by.

12. bookling says:

Good Ole Tom! Hahaha. I live in CT and see these commercials all the time. Nice to see that everyone else recognizes how ridiculous they are.

13. courtneywoah says:

LOL! I can’t believe it! I always think his commercials are crazy and weird, too funny to see it mentioned on here! LOL!

14. faust1200 says:

“My grandpa passed away and it occurred to me that he had had extensive dental work awhile back. I dragged his corpse down there and they tore the gold out of his teeth and they gave me $50 bucks! Good ol’ Tom.”

15. Anonymous says:

Does anyone ever buy anything from Good Ole Tom or does he simply hand out cash all day?

16. Skyoodpov says:

My favorite, but not shown, is the one where a man brings in his “Antique Toy Cars” and gets $500. Included in the “Antiques” were a PT Cruiser and a viper. Damn time traveling toy makers…

17. holla! fellow CT consumerists unite. I see Good Ole’ Tom and TC’s pawn shop commercials every day. damn fox61

18. The parody that shows up the in the list of related videos at the end of the first is funny. “Nut mastery”?

Not the one where the guy is wearing a cowboy hat. That one is scary.

19. hollerhither says:

Wow, I can’t believe Good Ole’ Tom made it to Consumerist! “His” commercials totally creep me out. Yep, FOX61.

20. Local legend has it one of Good Ole Tom’s employees once shot and killed a burglar, then Tom billed the slain’s family for the bullets.

Not sure if it’s true or not, but it sure is badass.

Good Ole Tom.

21. Weezil says:

i needed some crack money so i killed a ho a pulled out all her gold teef and hoop earrings a tom hooked me up wit 25$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. TashaLuv says:

Well I DO have quite a bit of Old Gold Scraps from old bracelets,necklaces,earrings,there just hanging around collecting Dust & I’m tired of moving it around and I can’t use it & who doesn’t need Money these day’s & Good Old Tom just came on Tv while I was typing this….And I’m Not a crack head,drunk,ect.I’m the MOM!