La-Z-Boy Inc posted a loss this quarter and said it wouldn’t meet its fiscal 2008 outlook, citing a depressed housing market and the fact that nobody is buying their chairs. [Reuters]

Comments

1. JessiesMind says:

Hmmm, so are we talking a sale in the near future? Cause my living room just isn’t made for a couch.

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@JessiesMind: Hmm, so are we talking a sale in the near future? Cause MY living room IS. :)

3. MalcoveMagnesia says:

Took me a few minutes to search their site to make sure, but yes indeed, La-z-boy is one of the few companies still headquartered and doing business in my home state of Michigan. I wish them the very best of luck.

Competing with the cheap imported crap that Walmart / Target sells can’t be easy.

4. Buran says:

@speedwell: My couch either needs a complete reupholstery job or replacement (I don’t like the color, but I inherited it, and one of the pillows is losing upholstery) but these people haven’t heard of putting prices on their website.

Anyone make decent couches for $300 or less? (I don’t have a ton of money to spend on this). No futons please.

5. homerjay says:

@Buran: La-Z-Boy certainly doesn’t. Their quality is second to none, but you certainly pay for it!

6. overbysara says:

@Buran:
    try craigslist or ikea.

7. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@Buran: Also try Freecycle. Also go to garage sales, and if the people are moving, ask if they were thinking of also selling their couch.

One creative thing one of my college friends with a pickup truck did was to put up a note in a few apartment complexes saying he would haul away unwanted furniture in good condition. He’d often walk away with practically new stuff that people didn’t want to take the trouble to move, and what he didn’t use, he’d give to charity.

8. DashTheHand says:

Their stuff is so expensive. We went to look around one of their stores last weekend and were frowning at the prices for the quality of the furniture.

9. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

I typically wait for them to have a warehouse sale. They have had a couple in Va. Beach and I picked up a nice loveseat and coffetable about 6 months ago.

Their furniture is very nice but isn’t cheap. If there is a warehouse in your area keep your eyes posted on the local paper. They usually have a full page ad on the back of one of the sections announcing the sale.

10. etinterrapax says:

I don’t have anything against the furniture, and I’m really pleased that they’re still a US company, but a person can only own so many chairs at once.

11. humphrmi says:

@speedwell: But watch out for bedbugs! :)

12. mac-phisto says:

well, la-z-boy, you had me sold on the leather recliner w/ 360 degree swivel & beverage fridge…except you don’t make it. :(

13. plim says:

i love la-z-boy. we bought our first set of couches there (including 4 recliners). when we went shopping for our second set, we went around to other places, even our local buyer’s edge brand, and didn’t like any of them. we ended up at la-z-boy again and found another couch set we loved (alas, no recliners on this set). sure, they’re not the highest quality stuff, but for utility (specifically, reclinnig =) and pricing, they can’t be beat!

14. Pinget says:

Second to none= negative two. La-Z-Boy has a quality problem. I have a 5 year old dual reclining couch from them in my den now that is literally falling apart. The reclining mechanism is broken. My next couch will not do tricks of any sort, just be a couch. All American upholstered furniture is crap – just 2×4’s covered in batting. Buy something cheap so you won’t be too disappointed when you have to replace it.

15. FLConsumer says:

@Pinget: Not all American-made furniture is crap. I’m not sure of the brand of leather couch I got from Robb & Stuckey, but it’s held up VERY well. Got a great deal on a floor model from one of their designers. Once it was cleaned and a slight tear repaired, it might as well have been new, despite being in a furniture store for 18+ months. Yes, it was cleaned several times. Once to make it look clean, the other two times were for my own creep-o-meter satisfaction.

Compare this to the futon my friend bought from Sam’s. All particleboard. “Proudly Made in China” is what it said on the bottom. The moving parts are all plastic, including the pins which support the mattress. 8 months and it was broken beyond repair. We re-engineered it using real 2×4’s screws, glue, and some metal rods. Probably cost about half as much to repair it as a new one would have cost, but at least now it’ll last a few more years. You do get what you paid for.