Who needs a fancy vacuum sealer when you can do the same thing with a Ziplock and a straw? [Frugal For Life]

Comments

1. Dervish says:

Mmmm, meat air.

2. MercuryPDX says:

Yeah, somehow I think a Vacuum sealer works better than lungs.

3. faust1200 says:

From the article: “The downside is that occasionally I get to suck out the air from the meat which makes me gag a tad, but doesn’t happen often” I really think it’s time to splurge and get a vacuum sealer. They pay for themselves supposedly. Who knows what weird illness you will contract? Then you and the popcorn lung man can trade war stories as you both hack up greasy, hormone laden beefy goo.

4. mattshu says:

Vacuum sealer + Costco = good value.

My wife uses her vacuum sealer frequently. I, of course, still suck on the raw meat with a straw. But it’s just for fun now.

5. Brian Gee says:

I vacuum seal bags like that (though without the straw… i just leave a slight opening, suck the air out, then snap it closed). A vacuum sealer does work a little better, but I get most of the air out and it works fine. The free method is certainly better than leaving air in the bag with the food.

Saran wrap before bagging is a great idea. I always feel guilty throwing away a barely used zip lock bag. Throwing away a smaller amount of thinner plastic instead seems so much better.

6. Mr. Gunn says:

mmmm…raw chicken marinade juice.

7. JessiesMind says:

I’m obviously not doing it right. I gave the straw thing a shot and ended up choking on a roast.

On a side note, my husband thinks that was the coolest trick ever.

8. ex_ea_slave says:

I’ve been doing this for years with bags of weed. It adds a nice touch the customers appreciate, lol. Never thought of doing it with food though.

9. TheSeeker says:

Do ziplocks really keep air tight? I have used some no name ones and air seeps back in.

10. Dervish says:

Reminds me of when they used to use mouth-pipetting in chemistry instead of rubber squeeze bulbs. Y’know, BEFORE they realized that some chemical vapors are bad to inhale.

11. csdiego says:

I’ve always wondered how to do that. I freeze a lot of baked goods, and there’s no way I’m going to buy a single-use gadget that clutters up my counter and needs an outlet just to seal things. Thanks, Consumerist!

12. SirKeats says:

@TheSeeker: they don’t… which is why while this might work for a couple days, it’s not a replacement for an actual vac-sealed bag.

13. synergy says:

I would think you might do more harm than good if you, you know, breath in a little directly onto the meat.

14. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Regular freezer and sandwich bags (zip or no zip) are not vacuum bags. Vacuum bags are thick and have heavy seams and they seal better.

I use my vacuum pump sealer to seal ball jars. No electricity and works great.