Verizon Misquotes Rates 93% Of The Time

Inspired by VerizonMath, this guy called Verizon 56 times, and got nearly as many answers, when he asked the same two questions about their pricing plan:

1) What is the data overage rates for the basic 10MB data package for $29.99?

2) If you get the Core Choice 450 minutes package with unlimited data, what is the data roaming rate in Canada?

This video is a cutup of all the different answers he got. You’ll be amazed at how many times they get it wrong.

The survey was conducted before the cellphone company publicly pledged to retrain their customer service reps on the difference between dollars and cents, but the video still shows how systemically the bad math disease had infected Verizon.

How Bad Can a Cell Phone Company Get?: Verizon Misquotes Rates 93% of the Time [EyelessWriter] (Thanks to Aaron!)

Comments

1. Tzepish says:

Whoops. It’s called “train your employees”. I guess maybe that’s asking for too much.

2. mgyqmb says:

I’ve taken this time to listen to the Verizon Math audio file again.

3. mexifelio says:

haha sounds like Telephone Love by Cassius:
    [www.last.fm]

4. crypticgeek says:

While it’s awful so few people can get the whole fractions of a dollar fractions of a cent thing correct (come one people!), you are going to be signing a contract with the correct rate in the terms which you should…ya know…actually read. Especially if you’re going to have to live with it for 2 years.

5. elf6c says:

What, where is the “show us your Verizon face” header?

I feel cheated. . .

6. TedOnion says:

Excellent post. Well done, this guy.

7. consumer_999 says:

I love this. Excellent presentation. I can say first hand, Verizon needs to clean out a lot of dregs, and train the rest properly.

8. UESC says:

wow, that’s crazy!

9. UESC says:

my comments don’t show up…..am sad panda :(

10. Lin-Z [linguist on duty] says:

protip: learn the difference between dollars and cents.

great video!

11. Someone should do another survey to see if they’ve improved since they promised to train their employees.

12. TechnoDestructo says:

@Tzepish:

It’s sad that they’d HAVE TO train their employees to not make this mistake.

13. RumorsDaily says:

It’s one thing to get the dollars/cents thing wrong, it’s an annoying mistake but it’s one that I understand (same goes for kilobytes versus kilobits). It’s another thing that many employees are quoting prices that are clearly not in any way connected to reality. They’re not off by a decimal point, they’re quoting some other number. That’s really bad.

14. levenhopper says:

@RumorsDaily: I would say that more than half of people using that plan don’t know the difference between a kilobyte vs. a kilobit.

15. On top of this, I recently went and used data without a plan (I know, stupid me), and for like 6 megabytes of data usage, they billed me $100. I asked what the rate was and got two different answers, one from a phone CSR, and another rate from a store CSR. The store CSR also claimed that if I was outside of my “home” area, data rates may actually go higher, because if I’m using cell phone towers that aren’t Verizon’s for data, those companies can then bill Verizon, which Verizon then bills me for “later”. What.. the.. crap?

16. Erik_the_Awful says:

I wonder if a customer could record take a recording of the best quoted rate to small claims and say, “here’s the rate the quoted me. They’ve been overcharging” and win?

17. vex says:

If you think that’s bad, try asking them approximately (within say, a few dollars) what the ACTUAL bill is going to be. It is impossible for them to tell you.