Great Moments In Commercial History: Norton Furniture

Reader Jacob says:
I’m from Cleveland and Norton Furniture commercials have perplexed late-night viewers for the past few years.

Perplexed is the perfect word to express what we are feeling right now.

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.

1. dlayphoto says:

Marc is the king of marketing.

2. louisb3 says:

This reminds me of the voice acting from House of the Dead 2.

3. Ailu says:

Dang! That guy is creepy! LOL

4. Optimistic Prime says:

I’ve actually been in his store, it’s just as creepy. The statues you see in the ads are on the sales floor. Crazy as he is, he does do quite a bit of philanthropic stuff in Cleveland.

5. BeastMasterJ says:

Philanthropy is all well and good, but is HIS store just like a mini-mall?

Also, does anyone thing Marc Norton sounds more than a little like Senor Cartgage? Does Marc have Senorial Day sales? Credit in his store?: “No Probolo, Marlyn!”

Hacks like me could mine that stuff for non-humor all day.

6. JAYEONE says:

I’m scared now.

7. adam2dot0 says:

Rumor has it his throat was slashed in a robbery years ago, leading to his trademark voice.

8. Optimistic Prime says:

@BeastMasterJ: His store is nothing like a mini-mall. It’s a pretty good sized building right in downtown Cleveland. It’s funny because it’s a pretty old building, so there’s only a service elevator for moving the furninture. No special days, just wacky every day….

9. cjc says:

I’ve never been in the store, but here’s an article from one of those local free weeklies about Norton’s Furniture: Cleveland Scene.

The voice comes from being kicked in the throat as a child. And they’re apparently great at providing service to their customers.

10. Psqunq says:

@BeastMasterJ: I was thinking the same thing.

All that was missing was a robot testimonial and the guy saying that he wasn’t being taken to Chick-Fil-A.

11. citybuddha says:

marc IS a full Cleveland

12. ElizabethD says:

Are you sure he’s not from Rhode Island? That accent sounds familiar…

13. The_Duke says:

His face (complete with breathtaking pony-tail) is painted on the side of his building in profile. It’s huge. I wish I was up there right now, I’d snap a pick and post it. That’s why I love Cleveland, and Ohio in general. This guy rules. There is a YouTube video of him goofing on himself (shouting his slogan out into Lake Erie, etc). Too lazy to find it, but you guys can if you want…

14. RandomHookup says:

@ElizabethD: He definitely sounded like a New Englander. “My name is Mahhhhk.”

15. levenhopper says:

I just saw one of his commericals this morning.

He scares me :(

16. amyjay says:

After watching three of those in a row, I feel the need to curl up in the fetal position in the corner of my office. Now…seriously.

17. bedpan says:

you can see that breathtaking ponytail illustration here:

and, marc recruits for his commercials on his very busy myspace page:

18. LucyInTheSky says:

19. Narockstar says:

That is terrifying. I think it’s the weird pauses between words. And what’s with the exact same script and choreography in every commercial? What does “Now…seriously…” even mean? So many questions.

20. RichAndFoolish says:

Hmmm. The kid in the last one sorta looks like Neil Cicierega.

Maybe these are all “Lemon Demon”-like artistic productions. ;-)

21. Leofan7 says:

@cjc: That was a really interesting article. Made me think very highly of the overly creepy man.