Sprint Joins The "Prorated ETFs, No Contract Extension For Rate Plan Changes" Pool Party

Sprint decided yesterday that the water was fine at the “prorated ETF/ no contract extensions for rate plan changes” pool party and has jumped right in. You can change your rate plan starting Monday, but will have to wait until sometime next year for the prorated ETFs.

From their press release:

Beginning Monday, Nov. 12, as part of the company’s pledge to enhance the overall customer experience, customers will have even more flexibility by being able to change their rate plans without having to renew their contracts.

Plus during 2008, Sprint plans to implement a new prorated early termination fee (ETF) policy. More specific launch information and details of that policy will be announced next year.

We can’t wait.

Sprint Announces New Programs to Deliver Better Customer Experience (Press Release)
[Sprint]
(Photo:Alan Light)

Comments

1. m0unds says:

It’s going to take a lot more than that to improve Sprint’s “Customer Experience”..

2. flairness says:

Sprint has lost so many customers (myself included) due to their totalitarian ways and ancient system that this will not even matter.

Sprint reminds me of cellphone carriers circa 1993.

3. thehistorian says:

I just called Monday and was on the phone for over an hour trying to NOT extend my contract and reduce my contract minutes… with no success. PERFECT TIMING, we will talk again this Monday, Sprint!

4. GreatCaesarsGhost says:

I have to wait till next year to get a prorated ETF? That’s ironic.

5. bonita_sarita says:

Ha! that’s one day after my contract with Sprint ends. Or Emancipation Day as I’m calling it. This announcement isn’t good enough to keep me however. I’m sick of their craptastic Web site and spotty service.

6. rolla says:

at least its a step in the right direction. Maybe, they’ll focus on sprucing up their phone lineup NEXT since it TOTALLY SUCKS ASS! HELLO Sprint…clamshell phones went out 3 yrs ago!

7. Buran says:

@rolla: There’s a lot to be said for a phone that doesn’t try to dial 911, even when locked, in your pocket.

8. QuantumRiff says:

Thank god! The fiancee and I got engaged a few months ago, and wanted to combine our sprint phones onto one account, but with the early termination fee, we would spend more than we would save. Sounds like next spring, were going to have to cancel one plan, and add that phone to the other plan.

9. RottNDude says:

@Buran: Agreed – a few years ago I was at a gas station when my Nokia bar phone rang – it was a 911 operator who wanted to make sure “everything was OK” – the Nokia would dial 911 even when locked if the 9 key was held down. No way to disable it, either.

10. GearheadGeek says:

@QuantumRiff: What you have to do is a “transfer of liability.” When my partner quit work to start med school, he obviously lost reimbursement for his mobile phone so I rolled it into my plan with a corporate discount through my employer. We went into a Sprint store (the worst aspect of this process) and did the transfer. So, I’m liable to continue his account through the original contract term , but we qualify for a “family plan” account and save money. Since our calling patterns have changed with his return to school, I’ve been planning to reduce our “anytime minutes”… I think I’ll wait until Monday to do that!

11. GearheadGeek says:

@rolla: While Sprint could certainly add some nicer phones to their lineup, I prefer a clamshell phone since I tend to put mine in my pocket. The keyboard and screen are much better protected. I also like the fact that they don’t do the Verizon thing and keep Java off the phone, so I can run nice useful stuff like Google Local for Mobile and the Opera minibrowser.

12. FF_Mac says:

@rolla: Clamshell phones are out? I guess i didn’t get that memo.

I’m actually a Nextel conversion and have been quite pleased with Sprint. I do think the display on our i760 Nextel was MUCH better. But hey, it’s a phone. Talk on it.

13. xamarshahx says:

sprints phones have gone downhill, went from best to worst. they also no longer provide warranty support in the store unless u pay for the very expensive extended warranty which ends up costing almost more then the price of the phone within the first year when you factor in the deposit. their CS reps all go by their own rules and sometimes don’t even make the changes or notes on your account that they have promised. hopefully they will get their act together with the new ceo.

14. BugMeNot2 says:

i love how ppl hate on their cell phone company, good times.

15. stephenjames716 says:

I was really hating on my sprint after they failed to keep a grandfathered service on my phone after having it replaced recently. I received $120 in charges that were $5 before. (thanks to an old data/text/pic package that is no longer available). Thanks to the consumerist I contacted the higher-up’s in Sprint and they refunded all the charges, and set me up with a monthly discount to waive what it currently charges for unlimited data/text/pics which is now $15. It was one of the best costumer service experiences ever…thank you consumerist!

16. zaq2g says:

Sprint sure does have some good points, like after 15 rounds of exhausting bouts with customer service reps, you might get a great plan. But, oh yeah, that means youre now locked into sprint for another 2 years.

My entire immediate family uses sprint with the sole exception of myself. Sprints plans, especially the SERO and data plans, are tempting to me. I could probably cut my bill in half and have much, much faster internet and more minutes if I switched from tmobile and the wing to sprint with a mogul. But I just can’t handle the bad customer service, or the constantly being locked in a contract. I don’t know how people ever get out of sprint without paying ETFs unless thier phone and plan is over two years old.