Recalled Date Rape Drug-Filled Toy Looks Pretty Cool

This is but one of millions of magical scenes you can create with Bindeez, a popular Australian toy whose beads were found to be metabolizable into rave party drug GHB. Low doses of GHB are said to induce, “euphoria, increased enjoyment of movement and music, increased libido, increased sociability and intoxication,” the same feelings we’re getting by looking at the splendor-laden craft project!

Recall ordered for toy that turns into drug [The Age via BoingBoing]

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. GitEmSteveDave says:

    Now if the toy had a “calming and sedative” effect, I don’t think we would hear complaints. Hell, it’d be this Christmas’s big hit!

  2. jblake1 says:

    Can I find this toy on ebay? I haven’t been able to find a dose of G for about 3 years!

  3. badhatharry says:

    We played with those on my date last night!

    My butt hurts.

  4. Szin says:

    Sold!

  5. BigNutty says:

    Another case of toys that are harming kids. Of course this would not be a problem if parents knew how to supervise kids to make sure they don’t’ eat their toys.

  6. gorckat says:

    I wonder how many parents have tossed a bead or two in the last few days…now- where did my daughter put her box of these thingies?

  7. surfacenoise76 says:

    These could give a whole new meaning to the term “play date”.

  8. surfacenoise76 says:

    Ebay’s removed all the listings. :(

  9. scoopy says:

    @BigNutty: Clearly you don’t have any kids, because if you did, you would realize just how easy it is for a child to quickly put something in their mouth. I suppose if you held your child all the time and never put him/her down like one of those crackpots you could keep them from puting something in his/her mouth. Of course, your child would have other issues that would ensue.

  10. DrGirlfriend says:

    Clearly, the answer is to stare at your children 24/7. Never, ever let them out of your sight. Also, either keep them at arm’s length at all times, or develop superhuman reflexes. In this way, you will be the kind of parent who properly supervises your children and nothing will ever get past you.

  11. EagleTheta says:

    This is like the US “Aquadots” – is it made by the same Chinese plant? If do, we might be hearing about a major US recall on these, too.

  12. jrdnjstn78 says:

    Just cage up your child and do not let them play with anything! They should be safe from everything expect boredoom.

  13. 3rdname says:

    wow. how does something like this happen?

  14. floydianslip6 says:

    @3rdname: A clever cartel?

  15. darkclawsofchaos says:

    well at least its better than lead, I heard chelation is extremely painful, its better to smile for no reason than to frown

  16. Turns your kids into filthy ravers! OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ!

  17. morganlh85 says:

    Is it bad that I really want some?

  18. Trai_Dep says:

    @surfacenoise76: EBay & Amazon are simply removing them temporarily so they can post a promotional bundle with Unka Smiley’s Ecstasy Pezâ„¢ Dispensers. Patience!

    On the bright side, this will keep the lil rug rats from sneaking nips out of the family vokda collection.

  19. mexifelio says:

    Planet Unicorn… haaaay!

  20. no.no.notorious says:

    i think they should market this to adults…not children. they may find that more profitable.

  21. Fait Accompli says:

    @BigNutty: You must not have kids.

  22. adminslave says:

    OMG! The commericals for these things were on TV all the time! I kept thinking they looked really flimsy. The key to getting the plastic balls (which seem a choking hazard, either way) to stick was… water. What would happen if they got wet? Either way, I wish I’d bought some! This would make lying around my crappy apartment with my roommates after work MUCH more fun! Damn.

  23. CumaeanSibyl says:

    The real question is this:

    What kind of ten-year-old child still eats her toys??

  24. burgundyyears says:

    @EagleTheta: Quite right:
    [www.cpsc.gov]

  25. Jon R. says:

    “Billy, why don’t you play with you lead-filled toys while mommy pops a couple of beads and plays with daddy?”

  26. ethereal_pete says:

    These things have jumped in price on ebay. (some non advice, just for information) look for the sellers from Australia, but you are looking at 45 bucks plus shipping, not sure how many “play sessions” you can get off of one refill pack, someone should buy some and let us know….

  27. marsneedsrabbits says:

    @CumaeanSibyl:
    My guess is that it isn’t that 8 year olds are mouthing the beads to swallow them, but they may be putting them in their mouths to wet them. The beads only stick together when wet & that is the entire point of the toy – they stick together and make fanciful unicorns & stuff when wetted.

  28. ethereal_pete says:

    The american version is called “Aqua Dots” and is also part of the recall. You can still buy them (and also the “bindeez”) on ebay for pretty cheap. Not sure how many “play sessions” you get out of one box. Just when I thought the days of easily obtained club drugs were over…

  29. CyGuy says:

    @burgundyyears:

    Just to emphasize what burgundyyears was linking to,

    AQUA DOTS HAVE NOW BEEN RECALLED TOO!

    From [www.cpsc.gov]

    Spin Master Recalls Aqua Dots – Children Became Unconscious After Swallowing Beads
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

    Name of Product: Aqua Dots

    Units: About 4.2 million

    Distributor: Spin Master, of Toronto, Canada

    Hazard: The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added contains a chemical that can turn toxic when many are ingested. Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures.

    Incidents/Injuries: CPSC has received two reports over the past several days of children swallowing Aqua Dots. A 20-month-old child swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state for a period of time, was hospitalized, and has since fully recovered. A second child also vomited and slipped into a comatose state and was hospitalized for five days.

  30. Beerad says:

    @Cy Guy: No word on whether the kids developed a strange attraction to glowsticks and techno music?

  31. Benstein says:

    @marsneedsrabbits:

    marsneedsrabbits point is excellent: THESE TOYS ARE MEANT TO BE WHETTED!!! This isn’t like an action figure, these toys have to be whetted to used, so it is VERY likely that it would be natural to stick them in your mouth. So why the hell wasn’t this considered by the toy manufacturers????

  32. 113COP says:

    Hi all. I’m a Mom of 4 boys. With all the toy recalls lately – it seems to me that we could all save a lot of money and keep our kids safe by just following their leads and letting them play their favorite classic (and free) games. You know, the ones that all kids seem to know via instinct. Drag the laundry all over the house; knock the garbage pail over after Mom just washed the floor; bang the pot with a spoon (but only if Mom has a headache); and my all time favorite cover yourself with something sticky after you just had a bath and make sure you get some on the wall too.