Qwest Wants You To Know Macs Work On It

Even though some Qwest employees told our reader that Qwest wireless wouldn’t work for her because “Macs are practically an obsolete system,” Jon Lentz, Qwest director of network operations, wrote to inform us that Qwest, does, in fact, support the use Macs on its network:

“Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I work at Qwest, and I am Mac user with Qwest Broadband. I want to clarify that Qwest Broadband absolutely works with Macs. I apologize for the poor experience Ms. Case had with our technical support – it runs counter to our goal to provide outstanding customer service. We have Mac specialists in our technical support centers, and there is an online resource available for Mac users with Qwest Broadband at: http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/opsystems/mac/index.html#osten

Thanks! Maybe that link should be shared with the grunt level customer and tech support staff. They didn’t seem to be able to find it the nine different times our reader Lindsey called.

(Photo: Noël Lee)

Comments

1. chuloallen says:

nice of him to tell us that Macs can be used on the internet, but what are they going to do about Ms. Case’s bills and case?

2. 7j6cei says:

Um… NOTHING.

3. enm4r says:

I love how the only resource for ISP resolution IS ON THE INTERNET.

And it’s nice to hear that Macs work on the internet, I’ll look forward to that the next time I want to use my Macbook online.

4. wesa says:

there is an online resource available for Mac users with Qwest Broadband at: [www.qwest.com]

Sounds like this needs to be spammed out to the agents. If you can’t connect at home, this link does nothing for the poor sap who can’t get connected.

Also if you actually click on the link, there is nothing there that walks you through connecting to the Internet. I’m sure someone could figure it out by going through the links, but an easy 1, 2, 3 walk-through would be beneficial.

5. BigNutty says:

Getting any response is a step in the right direction. I would bet that Ms. Case will receive something for her bad experience.

And don’t start with the jokes about what she is going to get. LOL

6. workingonyourinvoice says:

@enm4r: Yeah nothing pisses me off more than being on hold with tech support with AT&T because my internet is down, and I keep hearing “Don’t feel like waiting? Check our website for support 24/7!”. Honestly, who thought that was a good idea??

7. Buran says:

Mr. Lentz,

This is way too late. This should have been defined BEFORE a paying customer was turned away from getting support due to being a Mac user.

Try harder next time.

8. Buran says:

@WorkingOnYourInvoice: I’ve gotten that before from companies whose sites can’t find my order… which is why I’m calling in the first place!

9. Rob says:

@WorkingOnYourInvoice: They were thinking of the hundreds of people who call in with stupid questions that can be solved in three clicks online like “What are my e-mail client settings”

10. adehus says:

Mr. Lentz-

Cool it with the substance-free PR assfoolery, and just do your job properly. If you want to, y’know, tell us something worthwhile (gasp!), maybe you could tell us what you did to fix the problem.

That, of course, would require acknowledging that there is a problem. And then… fixing it.

11. jamar0303 says:

I like my current DSL provider- I have problems, I call them and they have a support person come out the same day or next day (if the call’s late-night). Every support person called out knows Mac and Windows just fine. I live in China, though- I’d love to know why I can’t get that level of service out of Comcast.

12. Trai_Dep says:

I’d normally be irate that this simple “we support (l-u-u-u-v, even) Macs” line hasn’t permeated the ranks of Qwest customer support.

However, considering this is one of the few phone companies that didn’t illegally hand over the records of every single customer to the NSA to better spy on Americans, I’ll cut them some slack.

So try harder, guys!

(err, Qwest guys, not privacy-stealing, Constitution-breaking, illegal phone guys (e.g., AT&T))

13. TBT says:

@ JAMAR0303

You can read the consumerist from CHINA? Shocked its not banned…especially given all the recent Chinese-made toys articles…

14. weili says:

Has anyone actually clicked on that link? The newest version of Mac OS X which they support is 10.3…

15. mexifelio says:

@ TBT – I hope they don’t recall his comment

16. omniomi says:

Of course QWest works with Macs. So long as an ISP is following the defined rules for TCP/IP and DHCP or PPPoE communication any operating system will work on their infrastructure. If they aren’t adhearing to the standard protocols then even windows wont work on their service.

It is true that some ISP’s provide connection software that may be windows only like AOL where you use an application provided by them to connect to their service, but really the program is just taking care of PPPoE authentication, something that can be done using Mac OS X’s System Preferences, or Windows’ Network Configuration without their software.

This guy has not said anything that any person who knows even a little about computers doesn’t already know. He should have written a response about what he intends too do about Ms. Case’s situation. He also should have elaborated on how someone can get in touch with these so-called “Mac Specialists”.

17. wesrubix says:

Interestingly enough, I’ve had a router-incompatibility experience with a macbook with core2duo (the latest kind). For some reason, SMC routers with WPA wireless configured to not work with macbooks. They work with every other kind of computer I’ve tried, but not the core2duo macbook with 802.11n support. The prior version of the macbook worked fine (the one with just g, and not a, g and n). So maybe Qwest is using a router that uses the same chipset as the SMC.

All else fails, try getting another router?

18. kahri says:

This is actually kinda funny. This Qwest rep read the post and subsequent comments on Ms. Case’s issues with Qwest. And in response, they’re “assuring” us they work with macs? Ok, we knew that, how about the horrible customer experience she had to go through? Like Where were these “mac specialists” when they were needed? So mac users, you can now rest easy that you too can get horrible customer service.

19. gopher1978 says:

I tried to make a switch to Qwest. Fortunately I kept my old provider. It took 15 minutes for the tech to get me set up. 5 minutes to see that my macbookpro wasn’t receiving emails correctly, 2 minutes for the tech to explain that Qwest really didn’t work good with Macs and 1 minute to put the crap back in the box and cancel my service.
    The other part of the “package” wasn’t so easy. I also changed from comcast to Qwest (directtv). I wanted the Big10 network. Had me fixed up in 30 minutes although it had a little trouble getting my local channels in. Finally he left and I was happy with my brand new high def TV. It wasn’t until I was tuning in all the HD channels that I realized that the local channels were not working in High Definition. It took 2 days, 4 calls to find out the condo’s where I live were hooked to a receiver. No local channels in high def until they can change that! (the condo’s are less than 1 year old). Qwest says it’s directtv. Directtv says it’s Qwest. Meanwhile I’m getting a discount until they can figure it out. What idiots.