Ghost-Filled Bizarro Ad From Thailand

When American advertisers do weird, they just end up being creepy. (Thank you, Skittles, for those horrible nightmares about the candy-eating beard.) By contrast, this ad from Thailand is funny, weird, and memorable. Our favorite part is when the boy misidentifies a “jackfruit ghost.”

[via Neatorama]

Comments

1. darkclawsofchaos says:

lol, not bad

2. bluewyvern says:

I love it. I also loved the Starburst commercials, for the record, although I can’t remember any about a beard at the moment…but in general they were a refreshing spot of imagination and whimsy in a generally dreary commercial landscape.

You know what? I just realized I was thinking of the old Skittles commercials. I have no idea what the Starburst commercials were.

3. renilyn says:

@bluewyvern: Actually it was Skittles that had that commercial, you’re right!

4. Jayus says:

The Skittles beard commercial was awesome! And Oreo Pizza commercial from whichever pizza chain is great, too. I approve of beard-promoting ads.

5. boandmichele says:

i sure do hate advertising. :) but this was pretty awesome actually.

6. Pipes says:

“No son, that’s a transvestite”…ha. I wonder how that would fly on American television.

7. jamar0303 says:

@Pipes: I remember my school trip to Thailand last month. The tour guides kept the guys from being too lusty by telling them that “lady-men” were quite common. Oh wait… that’s a transsexual. My bad.

8. Pipes says:

@jamar0303: Wow, a school trip to Thailand? That’s unusual where I live, at least. Did it work in keeping the guys at bay? I know some of the “lady-men” can be quite convincing…

9. IrisMR says:

Best ad ever. :)

10. LetMeGetTheManager says:

I’ve seen many things in my life, but that…was…AWESOME!

11. Saboth says:

Pretty good :) Yeah…too “risque” for us Americans…think of the children! The ghosts will frighten them, causing lifelong mental problems, which will require a mass lawsuit by the millions affected. Also, they will be traumatized to learn of such a thing as a “transvestite”…another mythical creature in our fundamentalist American society.

12. jamar0303 says:

@Pipes: Well, I currently live in China, so it’s not so far-fetched as you’d think. And it worked for the most part. Those tour guides had other lasting effects on the class too- they told lots of stories of “lady-men”, such as the one time a guy walked into a hospital in Phuket with a broken arm and came out a woman. I think they had a warped sense of humor, or were trying to play on everyone’s perceptions of Thailand.

13. @bluewyvern: Oh yeah, you’re right, it was a Skittles commercial. *shudder*

I actually like the the Starburst ones—at least, the one that parodies Lionel Richie’s “Hello” video. The Oreo beard ad from some pizza company is also swell.

14. adehus says:

Having been married to a Thai woman, I can tell you that the belief in ghosts there is very real. I’ve seen the ‘head with entrails’ ghost on posters several times in Thailand… I’m assuming that some ghosts are quite famous (and have known names as shown in the commercial).

The ‘lady boys’ are another interesting thing… Thais seem a little uncomfortable with plain-jane male homosexuality, but gays in drag are an integral part of society (at least in Bangkok).

If this aspect of Thai culture interests, read any book by John Burdett (Bangkok 8, etc.)

15. Jon R. says:

That’s a great commercial. Even if you don’t believe in banana ghosts, you know the difference turning off the lights would make.

16. jamar0303 says:

@Jon R.: (random tangent) However, unlike the banana ghosts, no amount of not believing will make transvestites go away.