Debt Collector Addresses Notice To "SHIT FACE"

Collection agency addresses collection notice to “SHIT FACE.” The letter begins, “Dear SHIT…” Below a line where the debtor is supposed to sign, the pejorative again appears. Best of all, the debt is only $16.39, for Columbia House (purveyors of fine 1cent for 624,215 CD offers). The debtor signed an affidavit saying he didn’t sign up under that name, nor did he use profanity in his correspondence. Consumer lawyer and sometimes Consumerist contributing blogger Sam Glover thinks the sobriquet is a deliberate touch by the debt collector. Debt collectors frequently resort to intimidation, though they “don’t usually document their harassment.”

Nationwide Collections addresses letter to “SHIT FACE” [Caveat Emptor]

Comments

1. workingonyourinvoice says:

Wow, I wish they would screw up like that more often… I should call up my collections ass hats and verbally abuse them, in the hopes they would do something like this.

2. aro says:

what ever happened to those 1 cent columbia house offers

3. timmus says:

I’m confused… if the debtor signed an affidavit saying he didn’t sign up under that name, why is he concerned? That’s a matter between Columbia House and Mr. Face. Even if it’s the same household address, it doesn’t matter… it could be a boarding house for all they care.

4. Majisto says:

Maybe that is how this person signed up for the offer originally?

(Reminds me of the “Santa’s Little Helper/Santos L. Halper name on the credit crd on the Simpsons…)

5. Bay State Darren says:

That’s Mister Face to you!

6. majortom1981 says:

LOl couldnt he get out of it saying that his name is not what was pritned ?

7. hc5duke says:

@Bay State Darren: Please, Mr. Face is my father. Call me Dr. Face.

8. pegr says:

Wow, Dick Head is gonna be steamed when he hears about this…

9. I once had a friend that got a collection letter that was addressed to “Customer is an AIDS victim” he sued them and got about $30K.

10. Dervish says:

It’s pronounced “fa-SAY.”

11. DojiStar says:

Being called shit face is a complement in some countries.

Just like farting on someones head. It’s a complement.

12. GitEmSteveDave says:

That’s pronounced As-whip-eh Johnson, not Asswipe Johnson.

13. tokenblackgirl says:

that just made my and my coworkers day.

14. nursetim says:

Wouldn’t this be considered some type of violation of the FDCPA? Imagine getting a phone call from these guys, asking to speak to Mr Shit Face. These people are dumb enough to think nothing of it when they make their calls.

15. DrGirlfriend says:

@mlehet: Indeed, my first thought was that Shit Face should sue.

16. nursetim says:

@DojiStar:
    In this country you have to pay extra.

17. liquisoft says:

AHAHAHA! This cracked me up!

18. EagleTheta says:

Interviewee: Glad to meet you, dumb-ass!
    Interviewer: That’s ‘Dumas’. [throws away resume]

19. marsneedsrabbits says:

See the hyphen? It’s Shit Face-Head since the wedding, thank you very much.

20. Landru says:

I once had a job selling phone systems to businesses and a collection agency was one of my customers. I had to visit a couple of their sites. It looked like the very worst place to work. The operators were all miserable and hateful and the management wrang the most work out of them they could, i.e. calls per minute and such. They talked about them like that were cattle. Cattle that couldn’t be trusted. In front of them.

I have been grateful for every job I’ve had ever since.

21. SJActress says:

I saw something similar to this on snopes about a year ago. It turned out that the programmer who created the form (or bill or whatever it was) put something vulgar as a placeholder where a name is inserted later. Someone forgot to actually put names on the ads/bills or there was a programming error, and they mailed about 10,000 people the same vulgar ad/bill. It said something like, “Greetings Mr. Asswipe,” or something like that.

Unfortunately, I can’t find the danged article! I wonder if the same thing happened here.

22. SJActress says:

Found it! They addressed it to “Dear Rich Bastard”, but it’s undetermined. However, there’s a true case of something like this happening to Wells Fargo included on the page. Enjoy!

[www.snopes.com]

23. boreddusty says:

@Majisto: Ummm…did you read any of the post after the picture?

24. neithernor says:

@Aro: Napster?

25. tadowguy says:

I knew my boss didn’t pay for those CDs!

26. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@pegr:

My step-father used to work with a man named Richard Wacker. I kid you not.

27. uberbitter says:

Chances are this debt is not owed anyway. Nationwide Collections buys expired debt from places like CD clubs and attempts to collect on them – I know this first hand. So not only is this insulting, it’s likely not even legally owed debt (even if he once did owe it).

28. BigNutty says:

Old debts revolve around “collections hell” where it bounces from one collector to another in a continuous cycle for eternity, even after you die. They really have nothing to lose as some people will pay.

I was an in-house collector for a company and it’s amazing what you can say (legal or not) to get people scared to pay up.

29. jrdnjstn78 says:

This guy must be “Shit Face” because he’s assuming that this notice is for him. This guy should have thrown this out.

so if I sign all my credit card reciepts with “poor ass bastard” can I say that wasn’t me and get out of paying?

30. iamme99 says:

And your mama wears combat boots [lol]

31. savdavid says:

Debt collectors are scum bags. My experience (yes, I have had a debt collector call me) has taught me they see you as an enemy and all is fair in war.

32. Skiffer says:

@Jaysyn: Knew a kid in high school named Richard Betor, Jr.

33. acasto says:

It’d be interesting to throw a big party on a boat, invite a couple hundred trial lawyers and debt collectors, take it out, light it on fire, and throw a real party back on shore to watch as it sinks.

34. Omir The Storyteller says:

@Acasto: Shame on you, you can’t treat boats that way.

35. esthermofet says:

If you get something addressed to a person who doesn’t live at your address just clearly write “Return to Sender” on the envelope or package and drop it back in the mail.

Threatening to sue? Guess they’ll need to find Mr. (or Mrs.) Face to do that, but there’s nobody by that name at this address.

36. mienna says:

Please, call me Shit. Mr. Face is my father!

37. RachelW says:

The neighbor’s mail ended up in our box yesterday, addressed to “Bich N Son.” Their surname is definitely not “Son.”

38. sykl0ps says:

He should not have opened mail addressed to Mr. Face if thats not him. You are not suppose to do that.

39. Elle Rayne says:

Good Go, will people actually READ the article before commenting? It’s not even that long!

40. Elle Rayne says:

That should be Good GOD.

41. exkon says:

Oh man, some of the stuff debt collectors come up with up with is classic gold…

42. DebbieGlibson says:

Hahahahaha

I would sue just to get out of the contract…just get the 16.39 erased from my record. I mean, I’m sure there isn’t any real pain and suffering.

43. missbheave (is not convinced) says:

@aro: we all got itunes.

44. DebbieGlibson says:

@missbehave: No, they are still around, and still getting even smart people, myself included. I don’t want to go to far into WHY I signed up for it, but it was online, and I did it because I wanted to win something completely different.

So naive…

45. redhelix says:

The name… is Dumas

46. formergr says:

@Jaysyn: “My step-father used to work with a man named Richard Wacker. I kid you not.”

OMG, so did my mother. Was this by any chance at a rather large corporate law firm in Manhattan?