Comcast Mole Starts Blog

The Comcast insider who leaked the BitTorrent memo promises to tell all of Comcast’s dark secrets at Shortnamenowitsgettinglong.com.

“I am just trying to help spread the truth about how screwed up Comcast is,” the insider writes in their first post. “I am not trying to hurt Comcast’s reputation or bad talk them, I think they do a good enough job themselves…You will find a lot of good information here. The information you want to see as a consumer and they don’t.”

We’ll be watching, and Comcast will as well.

Inside Comcast
(Photo: cmorran123)

Comments

1. freshyill says:

I really hope that Steve Sweeny is some intermediary, and not the guy running the site, because that’s all in the whois info for the domain.

Administrative Contact:
    Sweeny, Steve steve_sweeny@hushmail.com
    8110 Corporate Dr
    Baltimore, MD 21236
    US

I’ll leave out the rest but it’s easy enough to get if you know how to do a whois query.

2. DustyButt™ says:

Do you think Con-cash …I mean… Comcast is his ISP?

3. Skiffer says:

FYI:
    If you’re fed up with cable/sat tv, it could be worth re-investigating going back to over-the-air with the new digital broadcasting.

I used to default to cable because the over-the-air analog signals were horrible. The digital broadcasts eliminate all the fuzz – you either get it or you don’t.

I spent 30 bucks on a pair of rabbit ears and now I get all the network channels in crystal clear HD for free over-the-air.

The following site does a great job of mapping how far the local broadcast towers are from you:
    [www.antennaweb.org]

4. DustyButt™ says:

That’s the address for Comcast in White Marsh, MD near Baltimore.

Hmmm…

5. timmus says:

Comcast Cablevision (Comcast)
    8110 Corporate Dr.
    Baltimore, MD 21236-5034

What is going on here? Even if this is for real, if someone disputes this with the registrar, the registrar will write that address, which is Comcast, and they can seize the domain.

6. flairness says:

@freshyill: Interesting. I have clients that have offices on Corporate Drive in Baltimore.

WHOIS info can be spoofed, though. Or maybe he just forgot to click on the checkmark that makes the WHOIS entry private.

7. extracrispy says:

@freshyill: LOL, I see I wasn’t the only one who did a whois lookup the second I read this post.

8. consumerd says:

If the WHOIS information is correct then the consumerist’s mole is going bye-bye.

As much as I hate to say it.

9. KJones says:

One trick the Soviets used to do to find spies was to distribute different versions of the same document to its recipients. When their counterspies in the US and UK saw the received copies, the Soviets would figure out who leaked it and kill or jail them.

Or more simply, the more you say about yourself and what you know, the more likely you are to get caught. That’s how Ted Kaczynski got nailed. So if anyone else wants to be a whistleblower, make sure what you’re leaking isn’t privy only to yourself in your position.

You know the US is screwed up when whistleblowers are called “traitors” for revealing the guilty but those who spy and report on the innocent are “patriot actors” (pun definitely intended).

10. bradym80 says:

Hopefully that isnt his name. If he really wants to be secretive, he should use tor, or ssh through two shell accounts on different networks. This way comcast wouldnt be able to see which comcast ip is connecting to his blog.

11. Sam2k says:

shortnamenowitsgettinglong is a ridiculous domain name. If he (or she?) wants to be taken seriously then he needs to put in some effort.

12. HeHateMe says:

I dont forsee this lasting very long. I mean, come on… If the guy works for Comcast then he gets their internet service as a benefit. If he is posting to the site from his home he is tagging it with his IP. Comcast being his ISP can easily single him out at that point. Unless he uses a proxy, I guess. Considering the layout and site name, I doubt he knows how to use a proxy, so again… I don’t see this lasting very long.

13. BigNutty says:

He states his intent is “not to hurt Comcast’s reputation or bad mouth them” seems like a funny statement.

14. BrianH says:

Regarding WHOIS, information being leaked, etc…. I would guess this person knows EXACTLY what he’s doing (“he” being the standard personal pronoun for an unspecified person — I realize it could be a woman but I refuse to enter the MySpace internetz LOLcats grammar world where people say “Everyone has their own opinion”…) OK, I’m back & off the grammar soapbox.

15. stjoehawk says:

@BrianH: I can has opinion?

16. warf0x0r says:

Thanks to this guy/gal. Don’t get caught!

17. @freshyill: That’s the address for Comcast in Baltimore. I haven’t been by there since 2002 when I took back my Digital Cable receivers…

18. Rando says:

He is probably posted his blogs from his DISCOUNTED cable internet connection too.

19. marsneedsrabbits says:

Couldn’t he have gotten an untraceable blogger address just as easily? I’m wondering if he really is who he says he is. No one should be so naive as this.

20. Omir The Storyteller says:

Gang, chill out. Hushmail is a mail obfuscator, and I’ll bet you a nickel Steve Sweeney is either some sort of in-joke or a Comcast executive. If so I wasn’t able to find him — searching for “Steve Sweeney Comcast” resulted in hits for people like a comedian and a senior executive at another company by that name.

I don’t dispute that they might be able to track him down. You have to be pretty determined to stay anonymous on the net (and even then you might not be anonymous to someone even more determined). It just depends on what kind of effort the trackers are willing to put forward to track him down.

21. deebeegee says:

Using Comcast’s logo — and stealing someone else’s bandwidth to do it — on the main page is a pretty unethical place to start

22. The RSS feed from “Inside Comcast” showed a couple of new articles today, but when I went to look at them, I get “403 not allowed” for all of his pages. Anyone know what happened? Too much traffic and shut down until another quarter gets put into the slot? Or did Bombast get to his provider?

23. jimeez says:

Same thing here. 403.

24. FearAndLoathingInConsumerism says:

Is anyone having a problem viewing the site at all now? anytime i load the page it just says forbidden. the page wasnt even up a day….awesome.

25. Well it didn’t take long for this domain to be pulled and snatched. Seems Verio, Inc. is now in ownership of it.