Popular Australian Toy Filled With GHB

A toy that won the Australian Toy of the Year award this year has been recalled because it contains small beads that are filled a glue the body metabolizes into GHB. As in gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid, a party drug popular among ravers.

In America, the toy was sold as “Aqua Dotzbut there’s no information yet as to whether they shared the same chemical composition and they too have been recalled.

Chinese-made Bindeez, which won the 2007 Australian Toy of the Year award at the Melbourne Toy and Hobby fair, contains hundreds of beads which can induce seizures, drowsiness or a coma if eaten.

The beads should contain a non-toxic glue but instead contain the chemical which the body metabolises into gamma-hydroxy butyrate (GHB), also known as fantasy or Grievous Bodily Harm.

All Bindeez products would be removed from sale, Minister for Fair Trading Linda Burney said today, and households with the toy were urged to get rid of it.

“This Bindeez product is Australian Toy of the Year, it is extraordinarily popular,” Ms Burney said.

Bindeez toy recalled over drug fears [News.au](Thanks, Darryl!)

Comments

1. Namilia says:

“Ms Burney said an investigation into the toy, which is manufactured in Hong Kong, also would look at whether the substitution was deliberate.”

It was about as deliberate as the lead popping up in Chinese-made American items (ha, there’s an oxymoron for you!)

2. Manok says:

where can I purchase this fine toy?

3. HalOfBorg says:

Holy hell. I thought that looked cool for my little daughter. Damn glad she said she didn’t want one.

4. BigNutty says:

I saw a commercial for this thing and thought it looked like great fun for kids. The lead thing does not scare me at all but these small colored candy looking beads look to good to resist to eat if I was a kid.

As far as the comment Ms. Burney stated, does she think this was a conspiracy to infect kids with this stuff? Where did she come up with that?

5. Kat says:

They’re marketed in the US under Aqua Dots – dunno if the chemical composition is different. They’re advertised on Nick Jr and I saw one at Target the other day.

[www.amazon.com]

6. magic8ball says:

So Bindeez = roofies jr. Good to know. I guess I can take that off my Christmas shopping list.

7. Zagroseckt says:

I just saw an advertisement for this on another website.
    AND a tv spot about it.!.!

8. timmus says:

which can induce seizures, drowsiness or a coma if eaten.
    Okay… we can’t balance this out with “euphoria” or “sense of well being”? I’ve never taken any drug like this, but when journalists start up with the reefer madness rigamarole, I lose interest in the piece since it’s obviously biased.

9. kostia says:

I’m thirty-four. I don’t eat my toys. And I want this.

10. SOhp101 says:

And I thought GHB was hard to get a hold of… boy was I wrong. Even a child can have access to a steady supply!

11. Bay State Darren says:

@kostia:I do hope that’s in spite of the GHB, not because of it.

12. bonzombiekitty says:

Now we know why it was named the Toy of the Year.

13. stickystyle says:

…And thousands of Australian ravers where born.

(For those not in the know, GHB is popular in the rave scene)

14. bustit22 says:

I’m guessing the chemical in question is 1,4-butanediol, which the body metabolizes to GHB. There are a number of products that contain 1,4-butanediol as it’s a common solvent for inks and paints. This isn’t really that big a deal.

15. Trai_Dep says:

I’m waiting for the sister pen that comes stuffed with E.

And “seizures, drowsiness and coma”. More like falling asleep. Okay a DEEP sleep. For about an hour. Err, so I’ve heard. Reefer Madness indeed.

16. BadUncle says:

Put down that toad and pick up toy licking.

17. extracrispy says:

You can buy a refill pack with 750 beads for under $11. Damn, I knew my dealer was ripping me off.

18. chartrule says:

ouch

another thing to add to the “things to watch for list” when your out at the bar

19. bunnymen says:

@bustit22: A friend of a friend made this stuff by the gallons when GHB was banned. Sort of fun, except for the vomiting…

20. Joedel263 says:

the us versions are going to be recalled (tomorrow) as well.. don’t eat them.. or well.. nevermind..

21. lincolnparadox says:

I could go into a long rant about how dangerous GHB is and what it does to your brain and nervous system.

Instead, I’m going to just ask you folks to avoid ingesting glue.

Is that really too much to ask?

22. Mr. Gunn says:

bustit22‘s right, and lincolnparadox, if you do, you’d be wrong. Stop the reefer madness nonsense.

/btw, it’s your site and you can delete whatever posts you want, but it’s considered polite to tell the person. I’ll assume it was a technical error.

23. Mr. Gunn says:

chartrule, the point I was making was that the stuff tastes extemely horribly bad, and it takes a relatively large amount. There’s no slipping that stuff in a drink.

by way of comparison:
    xanax active dose ~1 mg, practically tasteless, lowers inhibitions
    GHB active dose ~1g, horrible taste which is impossible to mask, user often ends up puking

I don’t know exactly what motivated the media to start calling in a date rape drug, but it’s not. You’ve been lied to, and I don’t exactly know why, but I suspect there’s something else above the general reefer madness.