It's Been Declined: Dedicated To Bank Of America

The perils of credit card abuse are given play in this amusing music video made by YouTube personality Remy. It’s set to the tune of “A boy named Sue” by Johnny Cash (we think, or at least it’s channeling it). A college student maxes out his credit cards and gets declined in a fancy restaurant. Then he travels to Bank of America’s headquarters and gives the creditor a declining of his own.

(Thanks to Terry!)

Comments

1. NefariousNewt says:

I think it’s actually closer to “One Piece at a Time” by The Man in Black. And BTW… verrrryyyy funnnnyyyy!!

2. DallasDMD says:

Declined? I thought it was fashionable for credit cards to let you go over your limit and charge you hefty penalties.

3. warf0x0r says:

lol, I love the disclaimer at the end.

4. homerjay says:

Okay, sorry if I’m becoming ‘that guy’ but how is it BofA’s fault that you have no self-control? Why should they pay for your shopping sprees? If you’re stupid enough to mishandle credit, then you deserve to have your credit rating take a hit. Thats why its called a credit rating.

Or did I miss the point of that?

5. Tonguetied says:

I suppose something can be amusing but still make you shake your head and say “What ever happened to the concept of personal responsibility?”

Did the credit card company force him to max out his cards?

6. smitty1123 says:

Well, it might not be “cool” to shoot creditors, but apparently threatening to shoot them is quite reliable. I wonder if that would work for a court summons…

7. synergy says:

I loved the video. The guy isn’t half bad either out of his cap and, you know, groomed.

On the other hand, yeah. Take care of your own damn responsibilities.

“APR…whatever that means…”? That would be why you’re in the hole, buddy.

8. exkon says:

LOL.

No one ever reads the contract…

9. matdevdug says:

I think the joke is that you give credit cards with incredibly high limits and obscene interest rates to college students and then watch as they spend it on silly things and ruin the rest of their lives.

Happens all the time.

10. Benstein says:

That was very well done!

11. faust1200 says:

@homerjay: I was thinking the same thing.

12. BigNutty says:

On a serious note, because financial issues are not taught in high school, this is the result you get when these kids go on to college with their shiny new credit cards that appear mysteriously in the mailbox.

I also guess that many parents don’t teach their kids about credit cards and other financial issues either.

13. FLConsumer says:

I thought the video was well-done, but let’s be honest here — people who lack self control are the problem, not the credit card cos.

@BigNutty: Financial (and PERSONAL) responsibility should be taught at home, but obviously it’s not. I cringe upon the idea of our publik skools giving financial advice, but since it’s not being done at home, let’s go for it.

@matdevdug: I’ve never seen a college student with “incredibly high limits”, but I think that “incredibly high” might be a relative thing. More than they can pay off in a reasonable amount of time? Probably.

14. tph says:

@homerjay: yeah, you missed the point.

The video is self-deferential and a cautionary tale. The creator is showing how much of an idiot he is, and warning the young’uns not to make the same mistakes.

15. homerjay says:

@tph: Pfft.. Artists… I’ll never understand em.

16. Parting says:

@FLConsumer: Ha! Amex offered me to raise my limit to 11000$ limit while studying. And they knew I made 16000$ part-time :)

17. MrEvil says:

@NefariousNewt: You sir, know your Johnny Cash, unlike the Consumerist. Remy did indeed make his song more like One Piece at a Time.