America's 20 Most Discounted Cars

BusinessWeek has thoughtfully rounded up the 20 most discounted cars for your bargain-hunting enjoyment. From total failures to the recently redesigned, here are 20 cars you shouldn’t pay too much for—and probably won’t have to. What the hell is a Chrysler Aspen, anyway? A Mitsubishi Raider?

Mitsubishi Raider

Percent Discount: 21%
Average MSRP: $31,128
Average Discount: $6,667

America’s Most Discounted Cars [BusinessWeek]

Comments

1. vex says:

Meh. Buy it 2 years old, you’ll get it for half the price or less.

2. satoru says:

You could substitute “Most Discounted” with “Most Sucky” and the list would practically be identical. What would possess you to purchase such god awful cars in the first place.

3. Chris H says:

Almost all crappy, large, American cars… GM more or less deserves to go out of business for making those things.

4. mantari says:

I find your lack of Ford disturbing.

5. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

Let’s see 16/20 on the list are from the American manufacturers. Probably not a coincidence that these are the ones that are hardest for dealers to unload.

6. unoriginal says:

The Pacifica is one of four cars that Chrysler announced it is phasing out along with PT Cruiser convertible and a couple others. You ought to be able to get it at quite a discount if you are agressive enough with the salesman.

7. Twitch says:

GM? GM only makes 7 on the list. (Buick and Saab included with Chevy and GM)

Chrysler is the real screwup here… 9! Because guess who owns a substantial chunk of Mitsubishi…

2 fords (Merc and Lincoln) and a couple of isuzu’s round this out.

8. hoosier45678 says:

@satoru:
    Big discounts.

9. ChrisC1234 says:

Mysteriously, all of these are car brands that I’d never buy…

10. KenZ says:

A lot of these are the same cars underneath:
    Saab 9-7 is a reworked Isuzu Ascender which is a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer.

The Mitsubishi Raiser is a Dodge Dakota.

Chrysler Aspen is the Dodge Durango.

Not surprising that that the badge on the car doesn’t change the market’s perception.

11. Sudonum says:

4 of the GM’s are the earlier model of their new pick up truck. Duh, no wonder their heavily discounted.

12. EvilSquirrel says:

@mantari: They discontinued the Crown Victoria this year, but the Grand Marquis and Town Car are basically the same car.

13. cristiana says:

@TWITCH

GM actually makes 9 of the items on the list. You forgot to include the two Isuzu’s. The Ascender is a TrailBlazer clone and the i series is a Chevy Colorado clone.

14. TurboWagon00 says:

And Chrysler just annouced those 4 models would be discontinued, plus the Magnum

15. Sucko-T says:

@VEX

I saw a dealer advertising new PT Cruisers with Air and Automatic transmission for $9999. You will not be able to buy a used PT Cruiser for $5,000 in two years. The mantra of buying used doesn’t make sense all the time.

16. DashTheHand says:

All SUV’s and trucks and kid wagons. No wonder they’re all discounted. Fugly, gas-guzzling, and 95% unnecessary for the average person to own.

17. ptkdude says:

I didn’t even know Isuzu still made cars/SUVs.

18. Buran says:

Gee. Wow. Shit no one wants. No wonder it’s cheap.

19. MENDOZA!!!!! says:

Wow, 29% of a Commander? That might actually make up for the ridiculous amount of gas you’ll need to buy!

20. StormyBkln says:

@strum40:

Why on Earth would anyone want to buy a PT Cruiser? $9999 or $9.99 or $.99? Can we say Neon in a wanna-be hot rod chassis? And why buy an automatic? I’d pay more for the manual. Transmission will probably last longer!
    I drove an ’05 PT turbo convertible. I would have had more fun going for a ride in a Powerwheels.

21. EvilSquirrel says:

@DashTheHand: I thought kid wagons were what people should be buying instead of that all-terrain vehicle that can ford a river.

It’s time to bring back the station wagon with its mighty wood panels.

22. @mantari: Your comment wins.

@StormyBkln: What? Is it slow or something? Crappy handling?

23. j-yo says:

My neighbor used to drive a Dodge Durango. I think it got about 11 miles per gallon. Why people still buy it is beyond me.

24. hapless says:

@vex:

That’s only true of cars like the ones on this list. Most Japanese cars refuse to depreciate. A Town Car, on the other hand, loses about 50% of its value in the first year.

25. lowlight69 says:

I so love my Hondas. :)

26. balthisar says:

@Chris H: It reflects what’s happening in the truck market. Most of those “crappy GM’s” are trucks, and GM trucks are better than average quality. @mantari: Consumers Reports just recommended 93% of everything Ford makes. Notice that there’s nothing wrong with the listed-above Grand Marquis and Town Car, aside from styling and target age groups.
    @Franklin Comes Alive!: 18/20 of those are trucks/SUVs/CUVs (“trucks”). We all know what’s going on with trucks, due to losers borrowing more on their houses than they can pay. Just so happens that the Americans market more trucks, so, well, duhhh.
    @EvilSquirrel: same engineering platform, but radically different cars.

27. Joe_Bagadonuts says:

@KenZ: No, no, no…. The Saab 9-7 is “born from jets.” I saw it on the televisions.

Yup, I would buy zero point none of those cars on the list, discounts or not.

28. yg17 says:

Even my Hyundai holds better value than some of these cars.

29. Pupator says:

Conspicuously absent? Honda and Toyota.

30. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: I’m a PT Cruiser driver. No pickup to speak of. Fine little car otherwise, no matter what the naysayers say.

31. bbbici says:

Duh, all junk cars.

32. Trick says:

I am surprised the Mitsu Raider was not bought up by a bunch of black & silver painted up losers in Oakland, CA.

33. markio says:

@Pupator:

Goes to show how many suckers buy Toyrotas. I will settle for my junky Dodge with a lifetime warranty.

34. 7j6cei says:

Ya, that is if dodge is around to service your “lifetime warranty”.. ha ha ha ha ha ha… good luck with that.

35. MexiFinn says:

mmMMmMmm… Gas guzzlers

36. theirishscion says:

@markio: Yeah, I was just going to say, check out the fine print on that warranty. If they part out Chrysler to sell the organs, or even just sell it on to another automotive conglomerate, you may be surprisingly out of luck.

On a quite baffling note, I just bought Beloved a new Mini because it was cheaper (assuming she’s going to drive the car for a few years) than buying a 2nd hand one. The damn things are holding their values better than houses at the moment. I guess that’s what a fashion statement will get you these days. This mark you is basically a very small BMW built by oiks in Oxford England. Not exactly renowned for its reliability either. But still, holds its value better than a Toyota or a Honda. Weird.

37. DashTheHand says:

@EvilSquirrel: Same look, still has giant unnecessary “hemi”/V8/whatever engine.

38. Eric Lai says:

The Buick Rendezvous is so hopelessly outdated – it’s based on a GM minivan platform from the mid-90s. I remember when Tiger Woods was the spokesperson for it. Argh.

The Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy/Isuzu Ascender/Saab 9-7 family are actually decent – the standard inline-6 is pretty good. You can get the Trailblazer in SS form, which has the 395hp LS2 engine shared with the Corvette. The Saab 9-7x Aero is totally sacrilegious, but has the same LS2 in it. Naturally, the dealers can’t move them, so they’re marked way, way down.

If you’re intent on buying a new car, buying one a ‘badge engineered’ variant can save you a ton of cash. I remember when Saab was clearing the 9-2x out (a Subaru WRX clone, back when GM had controlling interest in Subaru) and you could get the Saab equivalent for around $20K out the door – and I think it even included free maintenance for the first 2 years/24K miles, which you didn’t get when you bought a WRX.

39. TechnoDestructo says:

@strum40: Chrysler automatic? No thank you.

Also, that was a loss-leader, and they probably had 1 or 2 at that price.

@7j6cei:
    Exactly. My favorite Chrysler tinfoil hat theory is that Cerberus started offering that warranty to kill Chrysler so they can sell off the pieces, since they got the company for practically nothing anyway.

@j-yo:
    AND it’s one of the ugliest cars on the road ANYWHERE, particularly the new one.

BTW, the Mitsubishi Raider is Mitsu’s version of the Dodge Dakota. So it should share the Dakota’s class-leading poor fuel economy.

@Cassifras:
    Yeah, the Commander and the Grand Marquis are the only ones on there that surprised me. I mean the Commander is one of the best-reviewed Jeeps in recent years, and is supposed to really mean the business. The only reason for it to be there is fuel economy.

I hope to see either the Compass or Patriot (or both) on a future list.

40. Buran says:

@markio: Those “suckers” are happily driving down the road while your vehicle is stuck in the shop while you’re paying payments on it.

41. Pylon83 says:

The reason these are all discounted is because no one wants them. Why do you think there are no BMW’ or Audi’s on there? Jeep is going downhill quick, and most of the other American car makers have failed to keep up with the modernization of the car. Look at the hot cars right now. They all have a european/minimalist influence, particularly with respect to the interior. I can’t stand getting into a GM car with giant bulbous buttons for radio controls, and lots of grey plastic. I drove an Audi A4 for a couple of years that was fantastic. Everything was nicely integrated, the buttons were smooth and flush, and it just looked nice. All of the GM interiors have looked the same since the mid-nineties. One of these days the american car makers will either adjust their designs, or they will continue to fall further and further behind the foreign car makers.

42. Eric Lai says:

@TechnoDestructo: I like that theory too and think that most Chrysler brands (except for Jeep – I will take a diesel Grand Cherokee any day) are irrelevant now. The 300 was pretty successful, but when they tried to repeat that home run with the Sebring, things were pretty disastrous. There are at least a handful of execs at Chrysler now, like Bob Nardelli and formerly-of-Toyota Jim Press, that have incentive to actually make Chrysler successful.

As for the Lifetime powertrain warranty, you have to take it in for inspections at certain intervals, and it’s valid only for the original owner. I think that most Chrysler buyers don’t keep their cars as long as say, Honda buyers.

My dad got a new transmission goodwilled for his Honda Accord V6 – it wasn’t in the scope of the models that qualified for the warranty extension, and even if it did, it was just over 100K, which was beyond the coverage for the extension. I think you’d be hard pressed to get Chrylser to come anywhere close to that when it comes to honoring powertrain warranties.

43. EtherealStrife says:

@markio: At least you recognize that it’s junk.

44. TechnoDestructo says:

@Eric Lai: Yeah, because by their third transmission they’ve had it with Chrysler. If they don’t have to pay for it, it isn’t as bitter a pill to swallow.

One of three things is going to happen with this…Chrysler is going to get their powertrains (esp. auto transmissions) in shape; Chrysler is not going to honor their warranties; or Chrysler is going to go out of business.

I honestly hope it’s the first one. Over the years they’ve made quite a few cars I might have liked if they didn’t scare the hell out of my bank account.

45. HOP says:

i wont buy a Garbage Motors autos…they make junk…..fancy junk, but still junk……..they dropped the olds which i thought was a pretty good auto…..

46. mynamehere says:

I came from a family with three kids and there was never a need to drive a giant SUV. Granted, they didn’t exist, but we never knew any better. I guess if people considered automobiles transportation and not some extension of their self worth, we wouldn’t be in this mess. Get a grip people, put Mother Earth before your giant ego!

47. @mynamehere: but did you have a massive station wagon?

48. SecureLocation says:

…otherwise known as the 20 cars you should never buy no matter how big the discount.

49. rikkus256 says:

The money you spend on gas and maintenance will cost you way more than the discount you are getting.

50. Cmoz08 says:

Hi, all! I’m torn in thinking if I should sell myself out for either a Chrysler Pacifica or Mini Cooper… Pacifica is perhaps a big gas guzzler. The cool Mini is just too small for me to feel “safe” inside. Please help enlighten me on sensible choices before I decide if I need to cheat on my raggedy Taurus (of a 5-year relationship)!

51. MrEvil says:

Funny that the only two Fords on that list are Panther platform…which has been in its current form since 1992. The ONLY reason those two cars are on the list. The Crown Vic has been pulled from civilian purchases and is taxi/police only now. Ford’s trying to get rid of as many Panther parts as possible before they retire it.

52. Smashville says: