Some Verizon Phones Adjusted For Daylight Saving Time This Morning, Call For Credit

If your Verizon phone randomly adjusted for daylight saving time’s end this morning for no good reason, you may be able to get a service credit by calling to complain, says Nick (who apparently isn’t really a fan of Consumerist):

Dear Consumerist,

I’m not exactly the biggest Consumerist fan out there, but I’m even less of a Verizon fan. I figured I’d point you to the story of their latest snafu.

It seems that some Verizon Wireless phones were accidentally adjusted back an hour for Daylight Saving Time’s end this morning. I got e-mails from several people who woke up an hour late because they use their cell phone as an alarm.

Nick pointed us to a thread on Fat Wallet where some posters claimed they got credits from Verizon.

DST actually ends Nov 4, but due to some new rules this year, its not going very smoothly. Oh well, at least you can get a credit out of it.

[FatWallet]
(Thanks, Nick!)

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

This is interesting, as the only phones which should be effected would be the older ones that do not get their time from the network but instead use some other means to do it.

My only question is…. what kind of credit would you actually be getting? Im a little confused at how this would ever effect your bill.

2. Bladefist says:

im verizon, no probs here

3. bricko says:

Verizon contractors just got busted for using illegal aliens. Gotta keep an eye on these guys all the time. I make them verify anyone coming on my property.

[content.hamptonroads.com]

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

“I woke up late and missed a big meeting, lost $200k in comissions! You owe me, Verizon!”

5. HeyThereKiller says:

Dear Consumerist,

I don’t like you but I want people to listen to what I have to say. I love hypocrisy and long walks in the park.

6. Jeff_McAwesome says:

Dear HeyThereKiller,

There is this new book called the dictionary. It has the definitions to thousands of words. It will tell you what hyporcisy actually means: The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

So, for example, if he were to call for a boycott of Consumerist and then write a letter when his phone fucks up, that would be hypocrisy.

Simply cooperating with an organization who’s policies you are not a fan of does not make one a hypocrite.

7. Meg Marco says:

@Jeff_McAwesome: Someone needs a hug.

8. GitEmSteveDave says:

Verizon’s clock features are horrible. I got a CASIO phone, you know, like the watch company? But here’s the funny part. I can not get the clock to go into 24 hour mode. There’s not even a setting for it. So for time, I use my Casio watch, which autoset 4x a day.

9. vanilla-fro says:

@Jeff_McAwesome: So you know and like the writer huh?

anyway, how old must this guy’s phone be that it doesn’t set itself at the right time?
    And….it’s a phone, get an alarm clock for waking you up. Maybe he sleeps in his car though so I guess I can’t really judge him.

10. CumaeanSibyl says:

@Jeff_McAwesome: Hyporcisy: professing vegetarianism while secretly indulging in bacon?

(Funny, I only get the urge to flame people’s spelling when they’re being snoids.)

11. maciejb says:

My brand new Sony Ericsson w580i decided to adjust itself automatically last weekend.. seems even newer software isn’t up to speed..

12. Canadian Impostor says:

@vanilla-fro: My phone has an alarm clock, and I charge it on my nightstand. Why would I buy another alarm clock?

My phone has a battery, if the power goes out it still wakes me up on time too.

13. Jeff_McAwesome says:

@meghannmarco: Can I have that hug now?
    @vanilla-fro: No.
    @CumaeanSibyl: I’m confused, did I spell something wrong? Oh I see it now, good eyes. You’ll notice that I spelled it right the second time.

Not sure what a snoid is. But if it is someone who is annoyed when people don’t know what hypocrisy is, then I guess I’m a snoid.

14. ExtraCelestial says:

@CumaeanSibyl: @HeyThereKiller: @meghannmarco: @Jeff_McAwesome:

lolol oh you kids!!

@vanilla-fro:

actually i use my phone as my alarm clock. a few years back during a serious case of school induced sleep deprivation i would unknowingly turn off my alarm still half asleep missing numerous important meetings, classes, etc. the alarm disarmed with a simple tap. it took me about a week before i figured out what was going on. i started setting my phone as a second alarm as it actually requires that i pick it up and navigate to turn it off. eventually i decided to downsize and just use my phone.

15. GitEmSteveDave says:

@CelesteD: In college, I learned to sleep through my alarm as well, to the point where the prefect would open my door because he assumed I was in class. and forgot my alarm. I like using my cell phone because it’s a different sound, and makes me think I have a call. As a funny aside, the dorm’s fire alarm sounded so much like my alarm clock, that I slept through more than one drill, and was woken up when the FD did room checks.

16. cryrevolution says:

I use my phone as an alarm too. My phones not ancient & I also set my regular alarm just in case. Still, I don’t understand how you would get credit? Would it be if you USE the phone for the hour…or…uhhh…

17. adam33777 says:

It sounds like it could have been a problem with Verizon and the time that is displayed on the phone from the towers. I doubt many people have a phone that keeps its own time. Especially with the E911 requirements by FCC on what phones can be activated and used.