Executive Email Carpet Bomb Against Vonage Results In $450 Credit

Score another point for consumers making it over the unyielding wall of “customer service.” Keith writes in about his recent struggles with Vonage, over an account he thought had been completely canceled six months earlier, “The carpet bomb instructions were inspired and within 3 weeks of sending my carpet bomb I got my resolve… The great part is I got my credit from the same person who stone walled me the months previous. Oh success is sweet.”

The short version of the story: after signing up with Vonage, Keith discovered it wouldn’t work with his company’s Asterix private branch exchange (ooo fancy telephone lingo), so he canceled and went with another company. The Vonage router was never shipped out, the company never connected to Vonage’s servers, and yet due to some easily-preventable email errors on Vonage’s side*, they claimed to have never received a request to terminate the service. So, from January to August, Vonage continued to charge the company.

Keith repeatedly contacted Vonage’s customer service, then escalated the issue to the Better Business Bureau, which contacted Vonage on his behalf. Vonage remained firm: Keith did not cancel the account properly, and whether the device was shipped out or not, he bought the service and they were going to charge him.

Keith’s email carpet bomb was short but comprehensive, respectful, dispassionate, and clear. It made a strong case for why and how Vonage screwed up, and Keith offered additional evidence for anyone who wanted to follow up. “I had to look online and find every name and email of every single employee of the company that I could. I searched through press releases and the investor website and so forth, after sending this complaint in to about 50 people over there I got a quick response that I would receive a full credit.”

Congrats, Keith!

* More on the email errors for those of you who are curious—Vonage sent an email that said they weren’t compatible with Asterix. Keith responded to that email to cancel the service. However, Vonage’s return address wasn’t a legitimate one, but their servers did not send back an “invalid address” warning to alert Keith’s company, so as far as Keith knew the email was received and the service was canceled—especially since they never shipped out the router. (return to top of post)

RELATED
The Ultimate Consumerist Guide To Fighting Back
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. ThePopOversAreDone says:

<—–not laughing

2. rbb says:

Less than 30 seconds with google using “vonage” and “asterix” turns up this link outliing how to get vonage to work with asterix [www.voip-info.org]

I’m glad Keith got his money back, but, he really should have done his homework before getting a vonage account…

3. rbb says:

Oh, and I know that the link I posted was from after Keith signed up, but, I’m pretty one or two of the 29,300 hits would have turned up the same information…

4. BigNutty says:

Service providers purposely give their customers the runaround because most will give up, making the company a winner. It’s the cases like Keith’s that will almost always win if handled correctly.

Businesses know that the vast majority of consumers will not fight for fairness. Most consumers will forget about it because it is too hard and too much trouble to fight a “big business”.

This is exactly why most companies don’t worry about giving a “money back guarantee” when the product has to be shipped to a customer. They already know what percentage of consumers will actually return something, and it’s low, even if the customer doesn’t like it.

Who wants to package back up and ship something back to the company when you will be paying the shipping charge?

Of course the amount paid for the product determines the numbers, but if it’s below a certain amount, consumers just won’t bother.

5. Yogambo says:

I have a few fine words for the folks at Vonage regarding a rebate, their lies and the router of mine that they have since kept along with my money. I’ve been looking for the elusive email to initiate an executive email carpet bomb. Can we share it here and add it to the master list you posted a few days previous?

6. edrebber says:

Vonage charged a $39.95 cancellation fee to my credit card. I immediately contacted my credit card company and disputed the charge.

7. BrianH says:

Just go with Lingo and be done with it anyway. After seeing the first Vonage advertisement I knew Vonage and I would never get along.

8. rgrsz says:

Gee – I may take a page from play book because I wanted to cancel my Vonage service to go with another provider and I couldn’t !!!! I wanted to go with someone else because another provider was a better fit for what I needed. But Vonage was such a nightmare to get out of that I gave up. I wish I never started with them — But this article gave me hope. I am deternined to try again.

9. rgrsz says:

I also tried to cancel with Vonage and found that I could’t (at least the time it would have taken to cancel was not worth my time). I wish I never started with because I wanted to go with another provider who served my needs better. This gave me confidence to try again. Thank you.

10. Yogambo says:

Executive email address? Anyone have one to share?

11. iamme99 says:

So did you get a copy of these email addresses to publish?

12. iamme99 says:

Vonage tries very hard to not let you reach a live person outside of customer care. I hate how companies like Vonage try to force you to only speak to their support group or use email to contact them.

If you want to break through the Vonage wall to the operator, dial the NJ HQ (1-732-528-2600). Press 2 to dial by name. Type in a common name like smith. When you get the prompt running through the possible names, press 0 for the operator).

She’ll try to pass you off to customer care. Be aware that sometimes you will get a recording, which is a bad sign for Vonage. The front desk should ALWAYS be staffed.