Get Free Long Distance And International Calls With Talkster

Talkster lets you make international and long-distance calls for free. The only catch is that it’s more complicated than making a regular phone call and you have to listen to a short advertisement.

Their “how it works” page will tell you just about all you need to know. Basically, you enter in the number you want to call. Both parties get assigned a new number. Then you call the 2nd party on their assigned Talkster number and tell them to hang up and call their special number, while you stay on the line. When they call the number, they hear the advertisement, then you’re connected and can talk for free, forever. If you’re doing it by cellphone, however, your standard airtime minutes will still apply.

If you’re willing to do a little work, Talkster sounds like a cheap way for far-flung families and friends to stay connected.

Talkster [Official Site]

Comments

1. JKinNYC says:

I’ll stick to my $0.03/minute to call France via vonage.

2. ogremustcrush says:

Just use skype, between computers. Its free if you are calling another skype client instead of a normal phone, and not a major pain in the ass as this is. They have cell phone client’s too, so if you have a fancy phone you can use that. If you have to call normal phones, drop $30 for unlimited calls for a year.

3. Then you call the 2nd party and tell them to hang up and call their special number, while you stay on the line.

What line are you staying on if the person you called has hung up on you?

4. Ben Popken says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: You call them on their assigned Talkster number, so you’re staying on the Talkster line.

5. JKinNYC says:

This reminds me of when my dad used to call me on 10-10-220 and make me call him back before the 2 free minutes were up

6. ShortBus says:

I make it a point to avoid any company that uses the suffix of “-ster.” Just like I glare at people who refer to every scandal as “-gate”.

7. CurbRunner says:

It’s too bad they don’t have Costa Rica on their list of countries. My brother lives there and I bought some land right across the road from him. It would be great to have the free calls.
    Oh well, screw it…I’m going down there for a while in a couple of weeks anyway.

8. Tank says:

@shortbus: i’m with you.

9. scoopy says:

@CurbRunner: Wow! You bought some land in Costa Rica? You’re going down there too? You’re bragging about this to random people? I wish I knew you so I could give you a high-five! Way to go!

10. @ShortBus: agreed.

@JKinNYC: your dad and i are both guilty of that…ahh yes…. 10-10-220…

11. dame1234 says:

I prefer skype and a prepaid cell phone. I can use the skype anywhere with a wifi signal and the cell as a backup. The skype runs $30 a year and $60 for a skypein phone number. well worth it.

12. tadowguy says:

Isn’t LD essentially free at this point anyway? I get unlimited with my carrier and I pay about $10 a month.

13. ext212 says:

If anyone else can recommend an LD carrier to make calls from USA to Asia, besides Skype and this one, let me know!

14. SnowLeopard says:

Wow, this actually looks really good.

15. karmaghost says:

It sounds like it’s not just you that’s doing the work, sounds like it’s whoever you’re calling. And they have to listen to a commercial? Forget it.

16. truimage says:

talkster it’s a great way to make international calls for free, the only think that I am not happy with is not the 6 sec. advertising it’s the 10 seconds that just give me for the other party to call me back 10 secondes it’s not enough time to write down a phone number so you have to call back and back until they get the number they can call you.

17. flodlogic says:

I use Rebtel. The person you call does have to hang up and call you back at first in order to reconnect your calls for free…but quickly hanging up and redialing at the beginning of a call so you can keep talking as long as you want is a heck of a lot better than sitting there and listening to ads.