Pump-And-Dump Stock Spam Now Comes With MP3s

We didn’t know about this (possibly because we have enough interesting email to read without bothering with spam), but apparently the new cool thing is to send MP3 spam.

The idea is that stupid people will click it, then hear a voice telling them to buy XYZ stock, and do it.

Ars Technica says:

The files are given innocuous-sounding names like elvis.mp3, oursong.mp3, smashingpumpkins.mp3, or coolringtone.mp3. The payload is disappointing: a voice recording touting the virtues of some corporate stock; in other words, it’s pump-and-dump stock spam in a new format. It’s also a dumb idea. The overlap of those gullible enough to click on MP3 files of unknown provenance and those willing and able to invest in a stock that they’ve never heard of is certainly minute. It’s bound to be more of an annoyance than anything else and seems unlikely to result in the desired stock purchases.

We’re always surprised that spam ever works, but obviously it must. Ars interviewed and expert who says that even though only 8% of email traffic is MP3 spam, it now accounts for 55 percent of e-mail bandwidth. Damn.

55 percent of e-mail bandwidth [Ars Technica]
(Photo:Getty)

Comments

1. BigNutty says:

When 1 million spams converts only 0.03 into purchases, it’s probably considered a big success. I guess that’s why now it’s MP3 spam and who knows what it will be tomorrow.

It will never end.

2. azntg says:

They’ll always be one step ahead of us *sigh*

My solution to this latest attempt: If you intend to send me an email with attachments, talk to me in person first. Otherwise, the distance between the e-mail and the delete button is not so far. Several people wondered why I didn’t have an answer to their question LOL.

3. kingoman says:

I actually got one of these. I could barely even understand it, much less be moved to action. I’m constantly amazed spam works but I’d be a thousand times more amazed if this one worked even once. This tells me the pump-n-dumpers are getting desperate and that other avenues have exhausted themselves. At least I hope that’s what it means.

4. TechnoDestructo says:
  5. TechnoDestructo says:

@BigNutty: EVERY mode of communication that’s free or unmetered, not aggressively filtered, and non-voluntary. That is what will be next.

IMO, prison time should be proportional to the aggregate amount of other people’s time that they waste.

6. marsneedsrabbits says:

Isn’t this like the easiest spam ever to filter? Write a simple filter that says that if the address isn’t in your address book *&* it contains an mp3, it’s automatically marked “junk”, & deleted it from the in-box or server (depending on how the email is set up).

It’s not like writing one to exclude image files, because sometimes people on mailing lists but not in my address books send legitimate pictures of stuff.

But I don’t get mp3 files *ever*. This would be an easy one to write and implement.